eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

kansas_gal06
Community Member

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

in reply to lovred

lovred wrote:

.....when you sell small stuff its not woth the time anymore, I am going to just dontae, ....

That's what I've been doing, donating a lot of stuff instead of listing it here.  I had saved a bunch of boxes & packing materials so all I ever had to buy was tape, paper, and printer ink. Either the postman picks it up or I drop it off on my way to work, so I don't spend gas getting the stuff in the mail with special trips to the PO.

When they started charging fees on shipping, I stopped listing anything heavy. All that stuff got donated or sold off-ebay.  Now I have more heavy stuff I need to get rid of. Thinking about getting some friends around for a garage sale. If I had some help, and borrowed tables, I think it could be a success.

It just takes too much time to take the photos & write the listings, for what things sell for.

When ebay goes to all sellers paying return shipping, I'm not sure I'll list anymore at all. Yeah, I know a lot of high-end retailers have had free returns for years and now Target and I suspect other big-box stores are doing free returns, but .... I'm not gonna. 

That being said, there are a few places I won't donate to. One is extrememly blatant about having too many pickers volunteers  at the drop-off bay.

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to rollopoloboy

rollopoloboy wrote:

From my experience thrift stores do not donate money to the poor or needy. 

Perhaps that's true about the thrift stores near you. The 3 thrift shops in my neighborhood are an important income source for:

1. The senior center which also houses it's own thrift shop, which is profitable, and directs ALL of it's profits to the senior dining room and our local meals-on-wheels program. This shop is run and operated by volunteers. I have worked here.
  2. The local pet rescue thrift shop Supports the local pet rescue & adoption program as well a free spay & neutering clinics and free flea & tick control program. I don't know if the staff here is paid or not.
  3. The hospice thrift shop uses it's profits to pay for care-givers and counselors. Also staffed by volunteers. 

It's easy enough to ask the director or manager of a thrift shop how many dollers it generates for it's charity every year. It should be a matter of public record as a not for profit organization to make this information available.

----------------------------------------------------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
rollopoloboy
Community Member

in reply to kpdecou

From my experience thrift stores do not donate money to the poor or needy.  The same goes for those large metal donation bins.  It is all for profit. They just sell stuff they get for free and make huge profits.  The only overhead these places have is employee payroll, property rent, power, and garbage pick up for the refuse.  I just drop off my donations to local church drop boxes and have decided to not buy so much stuff these days.

Please use plain text.
lovred
Community Member

in reply to trackwelder

Your right, i waited until I got the 50 free to list item, when you sell small stuff its not woth the time anymore, I am going to just dontae, I know if you make at least a 1.00 well, the time the gas, the shipping bags, ebay is just way to high, they get 10% plus listing fees if you. All your doing is using there software,  I used to love ebay but not anymore, the high cost of shipping, its not fun. There got to be a honest and cheaper way. I think I will learn.

Please use plain text.
artie-chicago
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

What I believe we have here is the human condition in action. Blame everyone but yourself for the problem(s)

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to speedmax396

On your last sale....

Team Associated 12R5.1 Losi Xray On Road B4 T4 1:12 Scale

you said it was a huge loss for you ...and then you accepted a Best Offer.......

weren't you ripping yourself off just a little TOO !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
speedmax396
Community Member

in reply to johnmcelroynu

I myself am tired of being ripped off by ebay and paypal!!!!!! enough is enough!!!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kgregorync

kgregorync wrote:

I have also noticed that China based sellers with ratings in the tens of thousands often have negatives in the high hundreds every month, but, they show up as 98 or 99% positive.

So you think sellers with tens of thousands of sales per month should be held to a higher standard than sellers with hundreds of sales per month? And how hard is it to figure out that a 99% seller with a feedback score in the tens or hundreds of thousands will have hundreds or even thousands of negs, without even going to their feedback page?

Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kgregorync

kgregorync wrote:

I recently sold a case of battery chargers that I imported directly from China.  Between Ebay and Paypal taking $5 and the postal service and UPS taking $12 I quickly learned that I could not compete with China based sellers that were selling the things for $32 shipped.

My question is, are overseas sellers who are selling into the US market paying US fees to Ebay?  To make $5 profit on a transaction they would have to have an out the door cost of $10 including packaging.

I have also noticed that China based sellers with ratings in the tens of thousands often have negatives in the high hundreds every month, but, they show up as 98 or 99% positive.

There should be some modification to the rating system, perhaps add a second number denoting the number of negatives in the last six months.

Because 100 of 10,000 is 1%.

Community Member

in reply to kgregorync

it's the tens of thousands that ebay is courting...

a few hundred negs.....so what...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kpdecou

I recently sold a case of battery chargers that I imported directly from China.  Between Ebay and Paypal taking $5 and the postal service and UPS taking $12 I quickly learned that I could not compete with China based sellers that were selling the things for $32 shipped.

My question is, are overseas sellers who are selling into the US market paying US fees to Ebay?  To make $5 profit on a transaction they would have to have an out the door cost of $10 including packaging.

There should be some modification to the rating system, perhaps add a second number denoting the number of negatives in the last six months.

Please use plain text.
kpdecou
Community Member

in reply to johnmcelroynu

Probably not for a small occassional seller like I would be.  I think whoever posted that small unique items are best for the small seller is probably right.  I haven't sold much: some vintage christmas stuff and a couple of clothing items that sold for small amounts of money.  After ebay and paypal fees I make so little money per item that its not worth it.  I do enjoy shopping on ebay.  

Please don't bring usable things to the landfill though, if you decide they are not worth the time and trouble to sell.  Donate them to a local thrift store that supports a not for profit org. that helps people!

Please use plain text.
artie-chicago
Community Member

in reply to trackwelder

trackwelder : Not true. This honest  small time selling man has and continues to make a profit on eBay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

I would have to say for the small time seller it is not worthwhile, maybe if you are doing lots of business, but I remember the days when it was like a garage sale, But back then I was mainly a Buyer, recently I started selling more items to clear out some of my unneeded things spare parts for motorcycles and lego sets, willing to take whatever I could get to get it out of the house, The Global Shipping problem has caused me too much grief, I advertise with pictures doing most of my description, and acurately describe what I sell. Buyers are using not as described because they have to pay extra for shipping, and if you start an item for parts at $5 they get upset when they bid it up to $100 and itis not perfect so they tear it apart and then not only make it unserviceable but file a not as described get their money back and I get charged for shipping. What I have learned from this board is that it is more profitable to buy and scam then to sell honestly, an honest man will not make it on Ebay.

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

in reply to hondamedic

Hmmmm?

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

@ JJ.... I'm infamous for  photo bumpbird.gif ing threads. If you see my siggy, 

caution
BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
kansas_gal06
Community Member

in reply to old_man_arthur

Now, now, Arthur. I do think some things have changed due to people posting & providing their opinions. 

eBay is slowly getting rid of the damage that the DSR system can wreak - by setting some stars to automatic 5s. If we'd all kept silent, instead of giving concrete examples of how that system wasn't working, nothing would have changed, don't you think? Actually, going back even further, they listened to their buyers to put that system in place. I got ripped off a few times back in the "good old days" of ebay when sellers could leave FB for buyers.

That being said, ebay will keep doing what it wants in all areas, since it's their company to run as they see fit. This latest nonsense of trying to auto relist for me is certainly not welcome.

I miss Calvin & Hobbes, BTW. Nice blast from the past seeing, them.

Please use plain text.
old_man_arthur
Community Member

in reply to bella0057

bella0057 wrote:
It's very important to post concerns we have with ebay - if noone does it, things will never change.

C&H

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: Composite Acoustics Cargo;  photo 9585fb2a-9e02-45ac-9481-aed93ad0e7c7_zps771f6e0d.jpg
Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

When I was in college (many moons ago)  I even tried  to help this guy - on Saturday mornings  The road runner & Wile-e came on right after the Lone Ranger.  Tonto  &Wile-e were my heroes - Tonto & the coyote took a lot of beatings in a half hour program & were still standing at the end of the show.

wile e coyote.png
Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

johnrj1226 wrote:

Thanks.

I like to check around and see if I can be of help to anyone and/or keep some folks honest.

& that there is just the kinda folk we on the PT  Board cotton to !!

Stick around John & make yourself at home......

Please use plain text.