cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

Yes, especially if your CAPS Lock button broken!

@bella0057 wrote:

EBAY IS EXTREMELY PRO-BUYER AND ABUSES ITS SELLERS. I JUST CLOSED MY SELLER'S STORE AS WELL AS THERE IS NO POINT IN CONTINUING. I SOLD AUTHENTIC VINTAGE MINT VERSACE BAG AND BUYER CONTACTED ME 20 DAYS LATER ASKING TO RETURN IT WITH NO REASON. LATER HER REASON WAS "NOT AS DESCRIBED" WITH NO DETAILS. COMPLETE LIE. I HAD DETAILED PHOTOS, EXPERT AUTHENTICATION, DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE BAG INCLUDING NUMBER OF MEDUSA BUCKLES ETC AND NO RETURN POLICY. EBAY SIDED WITH BUYER AUTHORIZING RETURN OF THE BAG AND 100% REFUND! EBAY TOLD ME THEY GAVE BUYER "BENEFIT OF DOUBT" EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD ALL PHYSICAL EVIDENCE FROM ME AND THIS BUYER TRIED TO VIOLATE EBAY RULES IN THE BEGINNING OF TRANSACTION ASKING ME TO CLOSE OUTSIDE OF EBAY!!  What more to add? I hope Ebay execs are reding this post and will actually start doing something about this situation. Ebay cannot exist without sellers - do you not realize it? Buyer's ID is jewelry2007 - a typical dishonest person who has no problem saying lies. I spoke with RUSSELL at Ebay Appeals Department - he was rude, uncaring and couldn't even explain to me why exactly Ebay sided with the Buyer. His answer was: sorry for your experience but there is nothing we can do to correct this situation for you. He should be fired.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 271 of 356
latest reply

How do you come up with eBays fees of 21%???  Mine are only 9% with a basic store and if one doesn't have a store they are 10%.

PayPal fees are 2.9% plus 30 cents.

Whoops I screwd up this post was from 01.07.10

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 272 of 356
latest reply

LOL, john ~ We have all done that!  Not sure how these really old threads keep popping up ~ the problem is probably googled, they see the thread and don't bother to look at the date.  BTY, welcome to the PT Board!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 273 of 356
latest reply

Thanks.

I like to check around and see if I can be of help to anyone and/or keep some folks honest.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 274 of 356
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

Thanks.

I like to check around and see if I can be of help to anyone and/or keep some folks honest.

& that there is just the kinda folk we on the PT  Board cotton to !!

Stick around John & make yourself at home......

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 275 of 356
latest reply

When I was in college (many moons ago)  I even tried  to help this guy - on Saturday mornings  The road runner & Wile-e came on right after the Lone Ranger.  Tonto  &Wile-e were my heroes - Tonto & the coyote took a lot of beatings in a half hour program & were still standing at the end of the show.

Message 276 of 356
latest reply

@bella0057 wrote:
It's very important to post concerns we have with ebay - if noone does it, things will never change.

C&H

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 277 of 356
latest reply

Now, now, Arthur. I do think some things have changed due to people posting & providing their opinions. 

eBay is slowly getting rid of the damage that the DSR system can wreak - by setting some stars to automatic 5s. If we'd all kept silent, instead of giving concrete examples of how that system wasn't working, nothing would have changed, don't you think? Actually, going back even further, they listened to their buyers to put that system in place. I got ripped off a few times back in the "good old days" of ebay when sellers could leave FB for buyers.

That being said, ebay will keep doing what it wants in all areas, since it's their company to run as they see fit. This latest nonsense of trying to auto relist for me is certainly not welcome.

I miss Calvin & Hobbes, BTW. Nice blast from the past seeing, them.

Message 278 of 356
latest reply

@ JJ.... I'm infamous for  photo bumpbird.gif ing threads. If you see my siggy, 

caution
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 279 of 356
latest reply

Hmmmm?

Message 280 of 356
latest reply

I would have to say for the small time seller it is not worthwhile, maybe if you are doing lots of business, but I remember the days when it was like a garage sale, But back then I was mainly a Buyer, recently I started selling more items to clear out some of my unneeded things spare parts for motorcycles and lego sets, willing to take whatever I could get to get it out of the house, The Global Shipping problem has caused me too much grief, I advertise with pictures doing most of my description, and acurately describe what I sell. Buyers are using not as described because they have to pay extra for shipping, and if you start an item for parts at $5 they get upset when they bid it up to $100 and itis not perfect so they tear it apart and then not only make it unserviceable but file a not as described get their money back and I get charged for shipping. What I have learned from this board is that it is more profitable to buy and scam then to sell honestly, an honest man will not make it on Ebay.

Message 281 of 356
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

trackwelder : Not true. This honest  small time selling man has and continues to make a profit on eBay.

Message 282 of 356
latest reply

Probably not for a small occassional seller like I would be.  I think whoever posted that small unique items are best for the small seller is probably right.  I haven't sold much: some vintage christmas stuff and a couple of clothing items that sold for small amounts of money.  After ebay and paypal fees I make so little money per item that its not worth it.  I do enjoy shopping on ebay.  

Please don't bring usable things to the landfill though, if you decide they are not worth the time and trouble to sell.  Donate them to a local thrift store that supports a not for profit org. that helps people!

Message 283 of 356
latest reply

I recently sold a case of battery chargers that I imported directly from China.  Between Ebay and Paypal taking $5 and the postal service and UPS taking $12 I quickly learned that I could not compete with China based sellers that were selling the things for $32 shipped.

My question is, are overseas sellers who are selling into the US market paying US fees to Ebay?  To make $5 profit on a transaction they would have to have an out the door cost of $10 including packaging.

I have also noticed that China based sellers with ratings in the tens of thousands often have negatives in the high hundreds every month, but, they show up as 98 or 99% positive.

There should be some modification to the rating system, perhaps add a second number denoting the number of negatives in the last six months.

Message 284 of 356
latest reply

it's the tens of thousands that ebay is courting...

a few hundred negs.....so what...

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 285 of 356
latest reply