cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoice discussion: to send or not to send, that is the question

beastiebabe007
Enthusiast
Morning, all!

The purpose of this thread is to get some input from other sellers (buyers too, if any want to comment) on whether or not to send an invoice after an auction or best offer (I use IPR with BIN, so doesn't apply to that one). I have been sending them so the buyer has it for his/her records. My logic behind that comes from working in my grandparents' security company, where everything got an invoice. It was pretty much automatic. So, when I began selling on eBay, I naturally sent invoices to my buyers.

However, I have seen in some other threads that invoices are only sent if the buyer doesn't pay for a few days and could potentially be taken the wrong way. My custom has always been to send one to the winning bidder immediately following the close of my auction, just as a business practice; no snarky intentions. The invoices include a thank you, repeat my shipping terms, and give info on my return policy (all the nice topics eBay says to include in the message to buyer). Thus far, it hasn't bitten me on the rear, but I'm just looking for some input from you knowledgeable folks.

Is it offensive to buyers if I send an invoice? Or is it an acceptable business practice?

Thought about posting this in SC, but I'm more comfortable posting here. 🙂

Discussion is good, as long as its done respectfully 😉

Thanks!
Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

I always send one immediately when they make a purchase with a little note saying "Thanks! :)"

I do not send another until day 3 with a note saying "Just a reminder payment is due in 4 days - thanks!"

I personally pay immediately upon purchase of a BIN - I have only made an offer once and as soon as I saw she accepted I paid & I usually am watching an auction (I tend to bid at the last minute) & pay as soon as the auction is over. So I never give the buyer time to invoice me.

I would not bombard people with invoices, but I don't think it hurts to send one immediately (I know E-bay does too), but it is habit i have done it this way forever and so far no one has ever complained. 🙂
Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
Message 2 of 80
latest reply

beastiebabe007
Enthusiast
Hello!

As a buyer, I also always pay promptly (although I don't do a whole lot of buying on here). I know it wouldn't bother me to get an invoice, and until recently it never would have crossed my mind that people would be bothered or insulted by it. As I said before, it is a business practice that has been with me for a long time! Reading some of the other threads where it was mentioned as a less than swell idea made me want to get some more opinions.

Thank you for replying; it is definitely some comfort to know that others are doing it and it works for them too.

(BTW your dog is adorable!)
Message 3 of 80
latest reply

85% of my auctions end with BIN and I have the Immediate Payment option checked so I usually don't have this concern. When an auction style ends I never invoice. eBay sends them a notice. They know they've won and are obligated to pay. If they're gonna pay they will. If they're not, the Unpaid Item Assistant sends them a notice, mine is set at 16 days and I send an eBay Message a couple of days before it does.

Maybe I've been lucky but in the last twelve months it's only kicked in once.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 4 of 80
latest reply

I do not send another until day 3 with a note saying "Just a reminder payment is due in 4 days - thanks!"

Just a minor comment.
Remember the rule is "4 business days".
That means Saturdays, Sundays and holidays don't count as part of the "4 days".

I personally state 7 days.
That covers weekends, even 3-day weekends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 5 of 80
latest reply

Sometimes winning bidders pay almost immediately. If they don't, I will send an invoice to them usually within the first few hours of the auction ending. I like them to know I am on top of things.

Occasionally, I will also adjust the shipping charges downward if something didn't work correctly. There are some instances where they are on the East Coast (I am in Oregon) and it is cheaper to ship via Flat Rate than regular Priority Mail. I only have the Priority Mail listed, since most everyone else will be cheaper. I will also refund money if they paid before I can send an invoice.
Message 6 of 80
latest reply

the_lurker
Enthusiast
Morning, all!

The purpose of this thread is to get some input from other sellers (buyers too, if any want to comment) on whether or not to send an invoice after an auction or best offer (I use IPR with BIN, so doesn't apply to that one). I have been sending them so the buyer has it for his/her records. My logic behind that comes from working in my grandparents' security company, where everything got an invoice. It was pretty much automatic. So, when I began selling on eBay, I naturally sent invoices to my buyers.

However, I have seen in some other threads that invoices are only sent if the buyer doesn't pay for a few days and could potentially be taken the wrong way. My custom has always been to send one to the winning bidder immediately following the close of my auction, just as a business practice; no snarky intentions. The invoices include a thank you, repeat my shipping terms, and give info on my return policy (all the nice topics eBay says to include in the message to buyer). Thus far, it hasn't bitten me on the rear, but I'm just looking for some input from you knowledgeable folks.

Is it offensive to buyers if I send an invoice? Or is it an acceptable business practice?

Sending an invoice is acceptable business practice, but as Ebay does this anyway, for a seller to also send one is a matter of personal preference.

If an item is not paid for by the morning after a listing ends, I send an invoice, thanking the buyer, using the buyer's first name and referencing, in a general terms, what the item was. This makes the invoice more personal than the robotically generated Ebay invoice.

My UPI Assistant is set for 8 days. I never communicate with the buyer again until I send a "Thank You Note/Shipping Confirmation, or unless the buyer has a question.

I would advise against repeating your shipping terms or return policy. As the buyer has not paid yet, you are giving them two reasons to question their purchase and back out, something you don't want to do. Until there is money in your hands, you don't want to plant even the slightest suggestion of any negatives in a buyer's mind.
Message 7 of 80
latest reply

You never know. I have a buyer with a (9) rating that has not sent payment for 14 days. I want to fair and not lodge a non-payment, but I'm being pushed
Message 8 of 80
latest reply

I have not been sending invoices because I know eBay sends them. I'd rather not clutter up people's email boxes. I figure positive feedback when I ship will make buyers happy.

An exception will be if they buy multiple items. When we did not pay FVF on postage, I would just refund the difference. I don't want to do that now becuase I will still be out the full shipping FVF fee. I'll send an invoice that shows combined shipping.
Message 9 of 80
latest reply

I will send an invoice on the 3rd day after listing ended if payment is not made.

I also send out a small note after they pay to let them know I mailed out that same day or will mail out first thing in the morning.

That's it...No one has complained yet!!!
“Life has no limitations, except the ones you make.”
Message 10 of 80
latest reply

I generally do not send an invoice they get one automatically via ebay saying "you won" so they know they won and need to pay, if they have not paid within 3 days I send them a reminder and tell them my auctions go into ebays automatic collection system after the 4th day. I also if its a large purchase ask if they need a bit more time to pay, in case they can't pay till payday, for those who get paid every 2 weeks or once a month I know money can get tight waiting on that paycheck, if they say they do then I turn it off and give them more time. Then if not paid within a week after thatI will email them asking when they will be able to pay, so I have an idea. If that date comes and goes without any payment or without a response I file after 2 weeks of non payment unless they tell me otherwise when they will pay.
Message 11 of 80
latest reply

I pay immediately when I know i won, if I am bidding on multiple items from one seller which I generally am, I will email them and ask to pay for them all at once.
Message 12 of 80
latest reply

eBay also sends out payment reminders automatically with the UPI Assistant.

I didn't realize UIA sent payment reminders. Do you mean the emails that say that an Unpaid Item case has been opened? I get one, so I guess they do, too.

I do remember seeing in my "site preferences" that ebay automatically sends payment reminders after a certain number of days without payment....looking now to see how many that was.....it says "after a couple of days with no payment". I used to send a nice reminder email the day before the UIA is to kick in, but since I found out ebay sends out the payment reminder email, I stopped doing it.

I do not send invoices.....ebay already does this, and as a buyer, it would annoy me to get multiple invoices cluttering up my inbox, so as a seller I "do unto others....."
Message 13 of 80
latest reply

I do auctions and do send an invoice at the end thanking the buyer for their winning bid.
*************************************************************************************

Philadelphia! No sand, no hot tubs.
Message 14 of 80
latest reply

As always, there's a spoiler in the mix, http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bobham*123&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365 .... Seller sent 1 invoice after 4 days and got a Neg dropped on 'em. Unbelievable! This buyer won't have that oppurtunity with me.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 15 of 80
latest reply