cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Prevent International Sales

Don't want the hassle with Customs Forms, slow shipping complaints & hits on your Shipping Time DSR's, INR (Item Not Recieved) because there's no DC (Delivery Confirmation) on the shipping method the buyer insists you use or SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) and buyer won't return due to cost of S&H that you had to pay to get it there & you lost money on? There are 3 steps:

1. At Home Page after signing in wave your cursor over the Account tab & click on Site Preferences in the drop down menu.
Find Shipping preferences & click on Show at the end of the row.
Find Exclude shipping locations from your listings & click on Edit
Put a check mark on all options including North America as NA does not include US.

Put check mark in Apply to all current live listings & click on Apply.

2. Find Buyer requirements on the same page & click on Show then Edit.
Put a check mark in the box under Buyers in locations to which I don't ship.
Put a check mark in the box in front of Apply above settings to active and future listings.
If you truly do not want to be bothered with requests to ship internationally put a check mark in the box at the bottom of the page next to Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me.

Click on Submit.

3. Log into your PayPal account & click on Profile in the sub-menu bar at the top of the page.
Under Selling Preferences click on Payment Receiving Preferences.
Put a check on Yes under Block payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold:

Scroll to the bottom of the page & click on Save.

Needless to say, as you're in these areas & have other options that are available, you should adjust your settings for your comfort level. Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 1 of 177
latest reply
176 REPLIES 176

Another reason for not doing International sales is eBay allows S&H negotiatons after the auction closes... See where it got this seller?

Buyer from Australia purchases item. Boxed it weighs 4 pounds 5 ounces. Shipping is $42.05 priority mail. Buyer emails back and says they only want to pay $21.00 first class. I send them USPS link showing that once you go over 4 pounds the cheapest is priority 1st class is not a option. They decide they don't want the item and I send them a we agree to not complete the transaction request which they accept I recover my FVFs and relist. Two weeks later the buyer leaves a negative saying we couldn't agree on shipping terms.. I thought once both parties agreed to not complete a transaction no feedback could be left am I missing something here? Thanks..
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 16 of 177
latest reply

I just got a private eMail thanking me for helping someone prevent International Sales... You're welcome!

And I got to bump it for a reason so OMA can't complain!

Message 17 of 177
latest reply

Forgot the link, Selecting buyer requirements
Message 18 of 177
latest reply

This needed a bump...
Message 19 of 177
latest reply

"How about a post informing sellers ' how to encourage international sales'...............
wouldn't that be productive ???"

Sure. Awaiting your productive post.

For rymojo........

Message 20 of 177
latest reply

sweetliberty2u
Enthusiast
I use to ship to Canada but I didn't get many buyers so I quit. I won't ship anywhere else. Seems to much of a hassle and headaches to me.
Message 21 of 177
latest reply

bump
Message 22 of 177
latest reply

Hi mitrapat & welcome back to The Part Timers Forum!

How's retirement from eBay treating you? Find any sites on the 'Net we should know about? Not thinkn' 'bout returning, are you?:|

Message 23 of 177
latest reply

This is kind of funny since the message I got from ebay yesterday is all about increasing sales & encouraging us to sell internationally.
No thanks; been there, done that.
Message 24 of 177
latest reply

No thanks; been there, done that.

I'm with you BV... But other sellers, like BBF, encourage International buyers.... I believe mid level sellers can absorb the occasional PITA international buyer but my little endeavor cannot.

Message 25 of 177
latest reply

Ok. Not to sound like a total moron, but what all is on a Customs form? I've never seen one as I've never done any international business. It just sounds intimidating, so I've stayed away from it. I'm just curious, in case I ever decide to dive in on a new expedition.
Message 26 of 177
latest reply

Gins.... No one here (Including Pharties like yourself.) can possibly know all eBay, USPS, FedEx, PayPal or UPS policies. All we need to do is ask questions to be informed.

There are two "generally" used customs forms for International shipping, 2976 for 4 lbs. & under and 2976-A for over 4 lbs. I have never filled out the "Online" version of these forms as I always take my occasional International shipment to the Post Office.

Additionally, if you decide to sell Internationally, you need to include eBay's blurb .....

Make sure that your listing clearly specifies who is responsible for paying these additional fees. You can cut and paste this directly into your listing:

International Buyers - Please Note:
"
Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.

Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying."

Additionally, shipments to some countries, most notably our neighbor north of the 49th Parallel, can have very high "Brokerage Fees" that can be levied before delivery. Sorry, I can't help decipher these as I'm not a seller/buyer in the great white north.

Hope this helps & good luck with your future sales!

Message 27 of 177
latest reply

In this same message from ebay they say that if a seller gets a Neg. due to a delay beyond their control they will remove the FB. This is after seller shows proof\copies of the necessary paperwork.
Too much hassle for me,
Message 28 of 177
latest reply

OH WOW!! 😮

I think I'll just stick with domestic sales. All the bureaucratic red tape----gives me a headache just thinking about it. I was considering possibly doing some international sales, but I don't think so now- at least for awhile. So even with our neighbor to the North, there's a lot of extra gobble-dee-gook involved in shipping. That makes me sad.
Message 29 of 177
latest reply

If you ship to Canada with USPS the paperwork shouldn't be a big hassle and the brokerage fee is only $5 extra for the buyer.

And that's only if Canada Customs selects your box to be hit with any taxes or duty they see fit to apply.
I've recieved $300 ebay wins that made it here untouched and $30 golf clubs that I paid fees on.
It's a crap shoot with the milloins of parcels per year that come across the USA border.

You want a crack at 33 Million people more than you have now , who's dollar is today equal to yours.....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 30 of 177
latest reply