eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Fee Too High

No doubt, this has been said a zillion times... but I am compelled to speak my piece, too. The math sucks. Between eBay and PayPal, the money the extract from a sale is simply ridiculous.

According to the eBay fee calculator, if I have a final sale price of $125 for an old boat compass, eBay takes around $14. That reduces my net to $111. Next, to handle the transaction, PayPal will suck another $3.50 from the sale, which reduces my net to $107. Shipping with insurance will probably run about $18, reducing my final net to around $89. At that point, I would rather sell them in a yard sale.

The post office is losing money, so I have believe shipping is a bargain. eBay/PayPal have stockholders to answer to and the CEO is grossly overpaid. Sucking $17-$18 out of a $125 sale is utterly ridiculous, in my view. I hope eBay collapses under the weight of their outrageous fees and open the door for a new, more reasonable player to dominate the Internet auction scene.

Screw you, eBay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Fee Too High

in reply to sandfdlr

"At that point, I would rather sell them in a yard sale." Good. Please do so. The whining is hard on the ears.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

If you don't like the subject, click somewhere else, dork.

5100087051_fuk_mi_sushi.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

Good. Please do so. The whining is hard on the ears.

Hey nosportss, I'd bet if you search ebay hard enough, you could find some ear protectors to filter out that "whining". And buy some extra's, so you can stick them where the sun doesn't shine............. DORK

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

Sandfdlr ........ This subject comes up quite often , and I understand that you as well as lots of others feel that the fees are too steep to list your items, sell them, and do all the work but I do have a question . Why are you paying the shipping and insurance ? the buyer of that item should be paying for that .

I don't do normal.......
Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

$17-$18 out of a $125 sale is about 14% overhead (fees, etc.) which isn't bad.  I estimate 20% when I decide if an item is worth listing and am always happy if it works out to be less.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

Shipping with insurance will probably run about $18, reducing my final net to around $89. At that point, I would rather sell them in a yard sale.

If you're paying $18 to ship something, but not charging the buyer a penny for shipping, you need to look a lot closer to home when placing blame. That's crazy.

A yard sale would be a good idea.

Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to sandfdlr

Use the math to your advantage.

For most anything sold on eBay, the expected price can be found.  The costs of selling an item are either known (eBay and PayPal fees), or can easily be calculated (postage to the furthest point).  If after subtracting your costs from the expected price, your profit isn't as high as you need or would like, don't sell that item on eBay.

I know dozens of merchants who would be thrilled to net 71% of an item's price.  Most retailers only get 20%, at the absolute most.

Please use plain text.