eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

I honestly have never seen ebay so slow. The Buyers are not bidding at all. Is it just me? I think around Memorial Day it got real slow and has been slow ever since. I listed several items at .99 cents and I cant even give them away LOL What to do? Do I just wait for a while for ebay to get busier before I relist or just lower the prices to get bids? Anybody else notice a difference on sales the past couple weeks?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to pugmation
I feel sales are very slow also. I love ebay and have so wanted this to be a profitable part time job for me. I have tried marking down prices myself. I can't seem to find the solution either. It just seems very slow right now. Hope it picks up for you soon.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
I had a couple of weeks slower than others, but my monthly totals have been consistent.
No Bad Days Pictures, Images and Photos
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Hello. I'm with you. I usually have at least 4-5 of my items being watched and I think I have 2 out of 34. There haven't even been people looking...I don't think my items are out of the ordinary of what I normally sell. Just a thought I had...all the kids are getting out of school around this time and maybe the moms are the shoppers and have end of the years parties and sports parties...I am hoping this is it. Can't make money if there are no shoppers out there...lol! Hope your sales pick up soon!
Please use plain text.
superior-quality4less
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
There have been several threads on various boards complaining about how sales have dropped since the 1st of the month. You can add me to that list. I had great sales in May but have had very few since Memorial day. I believe ebay made some kind of change around June 1st to cause the sudden drop in views, watchers, and sales.
Please use plain text.
old_man_arthur
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Poor people are scared... And rich people are cheap.

Two things I have noticed lately....
One, many of the listings I have been watching ended with NO bids.

And Two... and maybe this is really important... I have been "discovering" listings for Ovation Guitars (which is what I watch) just before the end!

So I look to see how long they have been listed and they have been up for 5 or 7 or 10 days...
They just somehow got lost in the shuffle.

And I am always looking for that killer deal. I check that search four or five times A DAY!
So if I missed something like that for that long... It just wasn't coming up in my search for Ovation Guitars.
Which might be why nobody is bidding on stuff.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy Ovation Legend Elite 1735

photo 90f90edb-1db0-4423-a53e-e4e41ad9762f_zps40ea60e6.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
It's called summer.....time off, time outside, flea markets, garage sales and major retailers are having enormous sales.......the world does not revolve around eBay folks.
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
It's called summer.....time off, time outside, flea markets, garage sales and major retailers are having enormous sales.......the world does not revolve around eBay folks.

As stated a number of times, while his answers can be short & curt, there are a few times NoSports nails it.... And this is one of them....

Hope this helps!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Really..... Mine does, I eat, sleep, and well you know breathe EBAY!! LMAO
Please use plain text.
superior-quality4less
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Something more than the weather is going on here. While it's summer here, it's not that way all over the world. My international sales have dried up as well. I' not even getting any questions from international buyers and I used to get lots of them.
Please use plain text.
old_man_arthur
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
B-)It is Summertime!B-) Whoopie!

That ain't it! Sales have been crappy since before Christmas.
It has been really crappy after Christmas.
I know! I have bought some great guitars at unheard-of prices.
Unfortunately, I need to sell a few things the finance my habit.
But I have been buying and selling other places...
And I ain't referring to other auction sites! The Ranch and myGEAR sales suck also.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy Ovation Legend Elite 1735

photo 90f90edb-1db0-4423-a53e-e4e41ad9762f_zps40ea60e6.jpg
Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

It does here !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Flea markets are having a tough time of it, too, from my observations (coming from one whose mom actually has a booth in one).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
Ebay suggests we lower our prices and offer free shipping easy for them to say as they make money either way. We can only lower our prices so much and free shipping for us is just not an option. They raised their prices but want us to lower ours yeah thats fair...sales are slow all over internet and retail stores. Good luck we all hope sales pick up soon.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
A few things happened. First, eBay dumped all the store inventory into the core site. This means that there are several more pages to weed through before buyers can find our stuff. Second, Google changed its search algorithm in May, making it even harder for potential buyers to find our stuff. Throw in the warmer weather and the economy, and things have slowed down dramatically. In fact, my sales have dropped off a cliff. I went from having about $80-100 dollars a day average to $80 total for the entire week! I can no longer depend on eBay sales as my only source of income. Heck, I can barely call it a business anymore. So, perhaps we wait to see what happens. What else can I do? (Other than get a job, which I have.) When I called eBay last week to ask them about what's going on, they made it sound like I was the only one having slow sales. It's pretty depressing.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
From the Associated Press today: LINK

WASHINGTON — Retail sales plunged in May by the largest amount in eight months as consumers slashed spending on everything from cars to clothing. The big drop raises new worries about the durability of the economic recovery.

The Commerce Department says that spending fell 1.2 percent last month. Auto sales were down 1.7 percent but there was weakness in a number of areas. Excluding autos, sales fell 1.1 percent.

So, its not just summer and its not just ebay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Retail sales plunged in May by the largest amount in eight months as consumers slashed spending on everything from cars to clothing. The big drop raises new worries about the durability of the economic recovery.

The Commerce Department says that spending fell 1.2 percent last month. Auto sales were down 1.7 percent but there was weakness in a number of areas. Excluding autos, sales fell 1.1 percent.

The big decline cast new doubts about the strength of the economic recovery. Consumer spending accounts for 70 percent of total economic activity. Economists are concerned that households will start trimming outlays as they continued to be battered by high unemployment and a swoon in stock prices.

Investors have sold off stocks for more than a month because of concerns that Europe's sovereign debt crisis will slow a worldwide economic rebound. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 7.9 percent last month, the worst May for the blue chip index since 1940.

The 1.2 percent decline in May sales was the largest decline since sales had fallen 2.2 percent in September. Analysts had been forecasting sales would be weak but remain in positive territory.

For May, the 1.7 percent drop in auto sales followed a 0.6 percent increase in April sales and was the poorest showing in this category since a 2.5 percent February decline.

Sales at hardware stores plunged 9.3 percent. That could reflect an impact from the end of the homebuyer tax credit, which had spurred home sales earlier in the spring.

Department store sales fell 1.8 percent while sales in the broader category of general merchandise stores, which includes big retailers such as Wal-Mart, fell 1.1 percent.

Gasoline stations sales were down 3.3 percent, a drop that reflected in part lower gasoline pump prices during the month.

The Federal Reserve reported Thursday that households' net worth rose for the fourth consecutive quarter, but since then stock prices have been tumbling. Economists say it may not be until 2012 or 2013 at best before Americans' wealth returns to its pre-recession levels.

Last week, the International Council of Shopping Centers reported that its index for revenue at stores open at least a year posted a 2.6 percent rise in May compared to sales in May 2009. That followed a 0.8 percent April increase and a 9 percent surge in March.

Target Corp. posted a small gain in May that was below internal forecasts while department store chain J.C. Penney Co. and many teen merchants including Abercrombie & Fitch Co. and American Eagle Outfitters Inc. reported declines in revenue at stores open at least a year.

The overall economy, as measured by the gross domestic product, grew at an annual rate of 3 percent in the first three months of this year with much of that growth reflecting a 3.5 percent expansion in consumer spending, the best showing for this category in three years
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Along with above 2 posts, http://blog.dropshipaccess.com/bid/32224/Survey-Says-eBay-Traffic-Continues-to-Decrease

"Recent ComScore data reveals what every eBay seller probably already knew: site traffic is decreasing rapidly!

The past two years have been hard on eBay sellers as one disastrous change after another, all unfriendly to smaller sellers, hammered beleaguered sellers to their collective knees.

One has to wonder how on earth the stockholders are swallowing the continued decline in eBay growth, but it is bound to be sticking in their craws by now.

eBay has used one lame excuse after another to justify the slow but agonizing death of what was once the world’s greatest online auction site.

However, although CEO John Donahoe apparently seems adept at pulling the wool over the eyes of stockholders, he isn’t fooling veteran eBay sellers who are well aware of the true reasons for the decreasing traffic.

A combination of an asinine feedback policy in which sellers are set up to fail, a totally dysfunctional Search feature, outrageous fee increases which have sent sellers to greener pastures by the droves, (and buyers along with them) the wooing of big corporations selling mass produced junk easily obtainable for less money on the shelves of every low cost retail store in the country, and now the dumping of thousands upon thousands of eBay store items into the core search so that listings are literally buried alive….these are the real reasons for eBay’s decline.

Just when eBay sellers were reeling from the last blow dealt them, this new one that brought new and even more exorbitant fees, along with the increased listings from store items, has many sellers heading for the hills.

If you are into eBay dropshipping sales, or any other products that can be sold on Amazon….it might be time to make a change!"
BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
WOW! TO THE LAST POST!...we all "knew it"! Now...where are people going? I am a seller and things are DEAD as a door nail.Can someone say where everyone is going? THANKS!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
are there other places other then amazon? or is that the hot spot?
Please use plain text.