eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to keto_sales

Not everybody is Zoro tools. Just because they sell many items doesn't mean their sales are up, necessarily. 

My hobby business feels the pain of the summer months as well. Just waiting for the Thanksgiving-Christmas period. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to yankeeyinzer

I'm right there with you.  It's been really tough to figure out what's happening.  I was wondering if the slow down was due to the password issues they had in April-May of this year.  Hard to tell-

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Looks like eBay had partial outages with their website today from 10am-10:30am central time, effecting customers in the US/UK and around the world. Another thing to add to the list... Someone told me it must be tech issues, I told them billion dollar companies that make their money from the internet don't have tech issues they have f*** ups. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to keto_sales

As a buyer, I would only take the time to look at ebay, itsy, etc. if I could not find an item less expensive than getting it through a wholesaler online.  As you say, the same items repeat so often and it is very hard to narrow down what one is searching for.  Just like the job market where there are too many job seekers for too few jobs, there are too many listings on ebay and too few buyers or too few prospective buyers willing to wade through all the listings.  Ebay should allow only so many listings in each category and if there are the same items (for example the millions coming from China), they should be rotated to allow the item to be seen (yet not have hundreds of the same item at the same time).  Too much!

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to spdrwb52

Is PayPal really going to launch a "Pay When You're Dead" program?

They got that idea from the government!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to little_apple_liquidation

big DITTO on that one. Very bad .:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

My sales are down 60% dollar wise in July .  Sales have gone up in other channels but it is pretty bad so far this month.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to keto_sales

maybe he used to sell 1000 items a day........and had to lay off staff now ????

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to zeronullity

sales are slow? not for some sellers. there is an industrial item seller who has 350,000 items for sale on eBay. and his pockets are deep. listings have been optimized for a mere $8,000. things like 60 day returns, subtitles on at least a 3rd of his listings. this seller sells 500 items per day(7 days a week). and with 370 negative feedbacks per year he still has a 99.8% positive feedback rating. eBay loves his deep pockets. his monthly bill would have to be staggering. just the .10cent penalty alone per listing per month for having over the 2500 limit total listings would come to $35,000 per month. if he's driving off the competion with cheaper than cost listings, it's working. his industrial listings will always be at the top of searches. cassini makes sure of that.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gymyd

@gymyd I'm not sure how many people buy "dollar store" items on eBay. If I'm not mistaken electronics is the #1 sold item on eBay.  In most cases you can find the item cheaper on eBay then any where else providing you know how to search correctly. As I said in my earlier post it's most likely a combination of issues. Summer time/economy being a major factor. Even with that factor I think eBay could be doing more then double or triple the business it's doing now. You have executive officers trying to squeeze every last cent out & not thinking outside the box. I could list thousands of things that could be changed or improved that would most likely double sales. eBay is constantly trying to expand to new markets keeping it's same old same old policies/rates/techniques instead of truly improving existing markets.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to zeronullity

It may be a result of google and ebay at war  but my thoughts are that  people just don't have that extra bit of money to be a collector  They can go to the dollar stores and buy 50 items for $50.00  and no exorbent  shipping costs

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pugmation

@theguitarpartsguy I don't think any one was saying eBay got banned from Google. Just that their ratings & position on Google has dropped due to their SEO practices. (At least thats the rumors going around) Who knows if eBay or Google has changed anything since then to get higher ratings. And I couldn't tell you the difference in percentage between landing on eBay though Google search or Google shopping.  However I'm sure it's huge when rated as ebay $$$ sales. 

Please use plain text.
theguitarpartsguy
Community Member

in reply to zeronullity
Here's the thing, though.... if you click "shopping" when using Google search, eBay results still come up, or at least they do for me. Just not in general search.....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

@komokwa  It's combination of things, summer time, bad economy, now Google SEO issue, not to mention bad company policies/rates.(Try shipping a $5 item or less, $2 goes to postage, over $1 goes to ebay/paypal and like $0.10 or more for shipping materials) Selling a low dollar item in most cases results in either no sell of the item , take a huge loss on the item, or give it away for free.   Only eBay & Google know the real numbers of how many people get linked from Google to eBay. My guess is it's a large percentage considering the action Google allegedly took. Not sure why Google hasn't attempted to buy eBay it would seem like a slam dunk to me.. Must be a good reason if they are not trying to aquire it..

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to artygirl412

So r ya all sayin that it was the google search that drove ebay sales ??

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
artygirl412
Community Member

in reply to yankeeyinzer

Ebay's algorithm's have been changed per Google.  Try searching for one of your items and most likely it won't show up until the second page of search.  Amazon and other big names get first priority now.

Please use plain text.
yankeeyinzer
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pugmation

Wow.  And I thought it was just me.

I'm a "casual seller," but have always made $200-$400 a month (and more around the holidays) on Ebay.  May was slow. June was dead. July so far is somehow even worse.   My monthly sales now are about $10-$20. I loved being able to use my sales income for groceries, etc. (PayPal debit).  Now  I seem to be spending all of  my time taking photos and providing measurements only to get watchers on some auctions and hardly any views on others.  I have never seen Ebay this slow.:womanembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Cross your fingers that Google will buy eBay/PayPal & clean house, after stock prices drop from their manual penalty in Google search engine of course. :smileyhappy: Then Google might be able to fix all the seller issues with high fees, ratings, and all the other gimmicky non-sense. Not to mention half of their tech support whose English language is their 3rd or 4th language it seems, which is even worse if your on a bluetooth headset then you can't make out any of the words. (Which might be just my bad luck) And cross your fingers if your call gets dropped because they apparently won't call you back or escalate it to a manager. However on a high note apparently their tech support # is so well hidden it's almost never busy.  Should I even bring up all the technical issues with the web server/database itself & compatibility issues, some which cost people time/money in the past?  I think eBay has a lot of potential to be much greater then it is now. Too bad greedy individuals & bottom-lines are holding it back. Perhaps it's too much to ask for a multi-billion dollar corporation to change.

Please use plain text.
*thesoftwarejunction*
Community Member

in reply to m60drvr

yes I think the panda 4.0 google change has impacted eBay traffic.

The upcoming quarter results would be interesting.

Please use plain text.
*thesoftwarejunction*
Community Member

in reply to pissant18

Ebay sales are down also because of Google punishing eBay

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/05/21/panda-4

Please use plain text.