eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Ebay sales Dropped Why so Slow?

in reply to janelles-unlimited-fashion

The hit counters are not moving.  It's the exposure.  Google changed some things at the end of july that have affected ebays exposure.  

Google Penalty Hits eBay’s Bottom Line, May Cost Up To $200 Million In Revenue

This very well could be our problem guys and it's a bad one

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I just got my second sale from Canada in a month.  Canadians must be the ones with money.

pugmation wrote:
I honestly have never seen ebay so slow. The Buyers are not bidding at all. Is it just me? I think around Memorial Day it got real slow and has been slow ever since. I listed several items at .99 cents and I cant even give them away LOL What to do? Do I just wait for a while for ebay to get busier before I relist or just lower the prices to get bids? Anybody else notice a difference on sales the past couple weeks?

Please use plain text.
janelles-unlimited-fashion
Community Member

in reply to leftcoasttrading
like what the heck is going on!!!!
Please use plain text.
janelles-unlimited-fashion
Community Member

Re: I am about to call ebay to see why sales are so slow 10/26/2014

in reply to missvickiesbetterbrandresale

off a cliff

Please use plain text.
beachsellerpro
Community Member

in reply to leftcoasttrading

I have never seen anything like it, I can't even risk posting any items in auction format because I litterally would end up paying someone to take my items.  On the other hand, I recently bought some new items for next to NOTHING!  I bought $800 worth of new IP security camers for $16? That is insane, another new item that lists for over $100 for .99 cents!  I don't see why eBay feels the need to post the winning price for auctions that have ended, It hurts their bottom line and it is killing the sellers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

I'm not doing auctions anymore as long as I have to pay a fee.  I'm moving my stuff to GTC or 30 day.

Please use plain text.
missvickiesbetterbrandresale
Community Member

Re: I am about to call ebay to see why sales are so slow 10/26/2014

in reply to johnstradingshack

I called in and got the same run around.  It's been crazy slow the last five days. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cad777864

lol.... I laugh instead of cry.   Sales are down over 80%

Please use plain text.
cad777864
Community Member

in reply to bookdomus2007

bookdomus2007 wrote:

download.jpg

I LOVE EBAY! I've been selling online using their platform since 2007. The eBay has changed my life by opening up a door of unlimited opportunities! Thanks to eBay I can run a business from home - an e-commerce business which would never have been possible for me without the existence of eBay. My home office is all decorated in eBay colors. The eBay online marketplace still remains THE PLACE to buy and sell a wide variety of items worldwide. There is such a massive selection of items that almost everything in existence is there. The sellers and small business owners must continue to maintain their presence on eBay because eBay provides the best exposure that can be achieved by building up a presence on an online marketplace. During the last 5 years eBay was on an incredible run, thanks to its CEO John Donahoe and the top management team. The eBay has taken a proactive approach, which has allowed its businesses to flourish. During this time, the eBay has successfully capitalized on the mobile computing revolution. There are billions of Internet users, especially in Russia and China, which are new to the Internet and never experienced the Internet over a mobile device before! Thanks to advancements in mobile technology, the eBay has reached a massive modulation point in the way consumers pay and shop on eBay, and according to John Donahoe, consumer behavior is about to change more in the next several years.

The eBay provides a top customer service to its retailers and buyers. I get Customer Service whenever I need it. After all, the individual sellers on the eBay marketplace are the ones providing the customer service to consumers on a daily basis. The eBay was a great business opportunity that has fed me for 7 years. Thanks, I feel better now. LONG LIVE EBAY!

I just felt the churn of vomit gurgling in the pit of my stomach

Please use plain text.
bookdomus2007
Community Member

in reply to justeekin

download.jpg

I LOVE EBAY! I've been selling online using their platform since 2007. The eBay has changed my life by opening up a door of unlimited opportunities! Thanks to eBay I can run a business from home - an e-commerce business which would never have been possible for me without the existence of eBay. My home office is all decorated in eBay colors. The eBay online marketplace still remains THE PLACE to buy and sell a wide variety of items worldwide. There is such a massive selection of items that almost everything in existence is there. The sellers and small business owners must continue to maintain their presence on eBay because eBay provides the best exposure that can be achieved by building up a presence on an online marketplace. During the last 5 years eBay was on an incredible run, thanks to its CEO John Donahoe and the top management team. The eBay has taken a proactive approach, which has allowed its businesses to flourish. During this time, the eBay has successfully capitalized on the mobile computing revolution. There are billions of Internet users, especially in Russia and China, which are new to the Internet and never experienced the Internet over a mobile device before! Thanks to advancements in mobile technology, the eBay has reached a massive modulation point in the way consumers pay and shop on eBay, and according to John Donahoe, consumer behavior is about to change more in the next several years.

The eBay provides a top customer service to its retailers and buyers. I get Customer Service whenever I need it. After all, the individual sellers on the eBay marketplace are the ones providing the customer service to consumers on a daily basis. The eBay was a great business opportunity that has fed me for 7 years. Thanks, I feel better now. LONG LIVE EBAY!

Please use plain text.
justeekin
Community Member

in reply to 5150motorsport

Sales have practically come to a standstill. The worst ever.

What is happening out there. Any reasonable explanations?

Too much Amazon competition? Google search issues?

My local Goodwill store is mobbed everyday so people are still spending(less & cheaper but still spending)

EB is not the same!

What now?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ttm0753

Ebay has ALWAYS been a big garage sale :smileyhappy:

ttm0753 wrote:
I suppose this has already been discussed, but I wonder if it has not become too easy to be a seller. Ebay might just become a big garage sale yet. Ebay stock could be a candidate for short selling, if you know what I mean. Am I allowed to say that? Nothing personal against ebay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pugmation
I suppose this has already been discussed, but I wonder if it has not become too easy to be a seller. Ebay might just become a big garage sale yet. Ebay stock could be a candidate for short selling, if you know what I mean. Am I allowed to say that? Nothing personal against ebay.
Please use plain text.
hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to hiddentreasureseverywhere

Most likely the work of the search engine ~ Cassini ~ also called "can't see me", or selected servers being turned off and on ~ also known as the "clap on clap off" theory!

Try checking the location of your recent sales to see if they are "grouped" by a certain geographical area.  If yes, it supports the suggestion that eBay servers are turned on for certain areas for different sellers.

How much better would life be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire?flickering flame photo: flame flickering small Flame.gif
Please use plain text.
hiddentreasureseverywhere
Community Member

in reply to hiddentreasureseverywhere

The feast or famine cycle continues for me. I had a great day on Sunday with sales around $700 and since then it has been about $100 or less per day, with no sales today. This is not a natural thing, Ebay says it's just buying patterns but you can't tell me that with all the buyers around the world that every buyer just suddenly wakes up and buys on Sunday and then all these buyers disappear for the rest of the week.  This just proves that they are giving my items a ton of exposure for a short period (when I have a $700 day) and then burying or not showing my items for the rest of the time. If only a respected name in big business would start an auction site and run it like Ebay used to be run 10-15 years ago. 

Please use plain text.
cad777864
Community Member

in reply to modcall

The site has changed dramatically since the onset of Cassini, October 2012.  It was fully implimented about August 2013, sales dropped for many with the onset of algorythms and the powers that be deciding who would be top in best match.  

2 and a half months ago was the start of this site being totally connected to ebay mobile, they redesigned the site to fit mobile.  Whatever they did has literally destroyed sales for millions of sellers.

It does not appear they have any desire to admit or fix this problem.

I have no idea who is benifiting from this but the last people to know will be the brass at ebay, for sellers are leaving in droves and so are buyers.  I see way more junk than ever on here, i see much less auctions and over priced bins.  

And i am starting to see sellers who do the 6 month returns being at the top of best match.  So, anyone who does not want to be a part of that is pretty much being penalized in my opinion.  

What a great place to sell.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mzin2406

Same here - slowest in years.  I have noticed there is a great deal of pressure to lower prices to .99 with free shipping whereby the seller takes all the risk of loss and Ebay gains the traffic.  I, for one, cannot afford to pay buyers to take my item (especially if listings are algorithmically buried), and offer a generous return & refund to boot.  This is a business model that will work neither for the seller nor Ebay, and with a longer lens the buyers.  In the long run high quality sellers of high quality products will find other venues leaving Ebay truly the world's "largest garage sale", with subpar quality and substandard customer service.  However I do believe that the distribution will be bimodal with one branch of sale going to the lowest quality and cheapest seller, and the other arm reserved for cheap Chinese goods driving volume over profit.  Overall this promotes a business model only geared for traffic and volume, which can be polished for shareholders, and not a business model based on profit, quality and integrity....good ol' American values.  Hopefully this will turn around soon and keep Ebay strong and of high quality for those on a budget.

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to mzin2406

For the past 6 months or so I've had a sneaking suspicion that eBay was positioning itself to be sold off. As I watch eBay disregard loyal seller/buyers and try to squeeze the last drops of profit out of their existing customers (for BOD bonuses) , That suspicion has gone from a sneaking one to one that is kicking down the door in the middle of the day. Want eBay, buy it on Amazon, Alibaba, Google, or Facebook!

(the word "watch" has been identified as a misspelled word by lithium's spellchecker. Huh?)

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Please use plain text.
mzin2406
Community Member

in reply to pugmation

Besides the sales being slow, there are not many lookers at all.  The other problem is people are putting good items up for dirt and many items are losing their values causing loss in sales to many.  If many people would stay within the regular price for items it would be better for sales.  Sad so many of us are losing profits is it worth it to remain selling?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to liw48

liw48 wrote:

Ask yourself, can Ebay afford to lose the mom&pop sellers?  I don't think so, and I don't think it's pushing people out.  I think it's just a very competitive  environment.  Almost everybody and their dog have a shopping site.  You just have to hope that enough people want to buy what you have.  Plus, if you look at EB, there's a lot of Hong Kong/Chinese sellers.  And I repeat -- A BUNCH OF ASIAN SELLERS who are competing against the mom& pop in America.

Honestly, I don't think eBay execs give a hoot about mom and pop sellers anymore, and haven't for a while.  The absolutely CAN afford to give up the mom and pop sellers.  Don't believe me?  Look at how bad the feedback and DSR ratings are on some of the big boys here like Toys R Us.  If any of us had their feedback we would have been kicked off as a seller.  It's a totally different place than it was when I started here in 1999.

Please use plain text.