cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Bay 10 percent fee on shipping?

In my opinion the 10 percent fee for shipping & handling only seems to hurt the consumer. No doubt most if not all sellers here on e-Bay must have increased their fees with this in mind. Am I wrong? But then again I am only new here so my opinion is probably moot. But then again as a new buyer I will be more careful in buying from e-Bay knowing there are fees they charge that are passed on for the consumer to pay such as this 10 percent S&H fee on the sellers.

Shame on e-BayWoman Sad

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

well ........the "people" that put these policies in place are 

CRIMINALLY STUPID

MY SIGNATURE:

you asked for it, you got it !!
a pathologically lying, criminally racist potus 😞

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Most marketplaces charge commission on the entire sale, and have done so for many years.  Consignment shops and auction houses, for example, take their percentage from the seller's gross revenue, not just part of it.

eBay was late to the party.

My fees actually decreased when they started including shipping charges in the calculation.  Since I have been selling with free shipping since before the change, and the fee % was reduced, my fees went down.  As a result, I was able to reduce prices on some items, and become slightly more competitive, as my competitors who charged for shipping saw their costs rise, whereas mine fell.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

And when you buy ANYTHING at a retail store, do you not believe that the cost of shipping is rolled into the price? And also the cost of maintaining the building, paying the employees, paying any taxes to the local city, state etc? 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

yes but they lied about why they were doing it

they simply want more money if they would have said so it would have been better plan but they lie

they are no better than obama,and the rest of the politicians in washington, they lie

MY SIGNATURE:

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

If the seller knows what they are doing all selling, acquistion, handling, packing, acquistion costs, fees etc. pls the sellers profit are recovered from the buyer somewhere.  That 10% on shipping costis not a great amount of money for the most part 
On a $12.00 shipping charge that is only $1.20

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

auction houses, for example, take their percentage from the seller's gross revenue, not just part of it.

And then you work out the shipping......but they don't take another 10% off the top of that !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@onanysunday711 wrote:

they simply want more money if they would have said so it would have been better plan but they lie

they are no better than obama,and the rest of the politicians in washington, they lie

They did not lie about it.  Sellers used to list an item for a penny and then jack up the shipping price to something near what the selling price of the item ought to be, so that they could get around paying fees on the entire sale and instead only pay fees on the 1-cent selling price.  It used to be common practice here in the old days.  Ebay plainly stated that was the reasoning behind the charge on shipping when they put the fee in place, no lying about it. 

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@tacticaltracey1013 wrote:

In my opinion the 10 percent fee for shipping & handling only seems to hurt the consumer. No doubt most if not all sellers here on e-Bay must have increased their fees with this in mind. Am I wrong? But then again I am only new here so my opinion is probably moot. But then again as a new buyer I will be more careful in buying from e-Bay knowing there are fees they charge that are passed on for the consumer to pay such as this 10 percent S&H fee on the sellers.

Shame on e-BayWoman Sad

As a buyer I couldn't care less about the sellers fees.  Either I'm willing to pay the bottom line price or I'm not.  Nice troll, but no cigar.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

They did not lie about it.  Sellers used to list an item for a penny and then jack up the shipping price to something near what the selling price of the item ought to be, so that they could get around paying fees on the entire sale and instead only pay fees on the 1-cent selling price.  It used to be common practice here in the old days.  Ebay plainly stated that was the reasoning behind the charge on shipping when they put the fee in place, no lying about it. 

yes they lied, they also said it was to imrove the buyers experience my buyers pay more now

they did nothing to stop what they said they were stopping, sellers can still way overcharge on shipping

in fact they are incouraging it

they sure have you fooled tho Smiley Very Happy

MY SIGNATURE:

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Hah! It is good to get so much feedback from all you e-Bayers. So many varied opinions. Every one has the right answer but no one knows the truthWoman Wink

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Sorry...next time we'll keep our opinions to ourselves......just between us eBayers.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@onanysunday711 wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

yes they lied, they also said it was to imrove the buyers experience my buyers pay more now

they did nothing to stop what they said they were stopping, sellers can still way overcharge on shipping

As a seller who used to sell bigger ticket guitars that were supposed to have MAP (minimum advertised price) policies attached to them, I used to see all sorts of trickery used by sellers to get around both dealership rules of the guitar manufacturers and methods used to get ahead.  In fact, I got angry at one company I used to sell for and listed 10 inexpensive acoustic guitars in a dutch auction listing once at a penny each with shipping at a hundred bucks, because the MAP policies were not being policed on eBay.  I got phone calls from the rep about it, but they started policing eBay sales after that, so I got my point across.  The uniform eBay charge of 10% across the board (including shipping) stopped a lot of games like that and evened the playing field.  I haven't been "fooled" by anyone, but I've been around this place for quite a while and have seen a LOT of changes over the years.  Frankly, the best way I have found to sell items is to include the shipping in the price of the item and charge no shipping on top of the item price. 

Again, there was no lying, it was stated plainly that the charges were in order to put a stop to sellers selling items on the cheap and marking up the shipping to get around eBay fees.  I'm sorry if you feel otherwise, but you're simply mistaken.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@onanysunday711 wrote:

@onanysunday711 wrote:

As a seller who used to sell bigger ticket guitars that were supposed to have MAP (minimum advertised price) policies attached to them, I used to see all sorts of trickery used by sellers to get around both dealership rules of the guitar manufacturers and methods used to get ahead.  In fact, I got angry at one company I used to sell for and listed 10 inexpensive acoustic guitars in a dutch auction listing once at a penny each with shipping at a hundred bucks, because the MAP policies were not being policed on eBay.  I got phone calls from the rep about it, but they started policing eBay sales after that, so I got my point across.  The uniform eBay charge of 10% across the board (including shipping) stopped a lot of games like that and evened the playing field.  I haven't been "fooled" by anyone, but I've been around this place for quite a while and have seen a LOT of changes over the years.  Frankly, the best way I have found to sell items is to include the shipping in the price of the item and charge no shipping on top of the item price. 

Again, there was no lying, it was stated plainly that the charges were in order to put a stop to sellers selling items on the cheap and marking up the shipping to get around eBay fees.  I'm sorry if you feel otherwise, but you're simply mistaken.

like i said they lied and the crooked carnival barking clowns that set ebay policy have got you totally fooled 

soory about yer luck

by the way i know quite a few ebay sellers and they all agree, ebay lies and lied about this policy.period

you are of the very few naive enuff to buy into their

MY SIGNATURE:

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Why eBay changed their fee structure in 2011 is irrelevant.  They did it.  This is their website.  They can do whatever they want with it, whenever they want to.

Still, they did not lie about why they changed their fees.  Here are the 2 pages that are relevant, the original announcement and the details page:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2011/03/2011-spring-seller-update/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/SpringUpdate2011.html

Both pages clearly state in plain, bold print that eBay changed their fees to encourage sellers to lower their shipping charges.  They did it to level the playing field for all sellers, so that no one can gain a profit advantage by putting the actual selling price in the shipping charges, or be put at a disadvantage based on how they market their items.  And sellers like me who list with free shipping will make more money, encouraging more listings.

Of course, it's a given that eBay changed their fees to earn more money.  That's what corporations do.  By lowering shipping charges overall on the site, more buyers will be attracted to buy, which means more sellers are inclined to list, and eBay gets more in total fees than they did before.

As with any changes on a site this large, some sellers got hosed.  It happens.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply