eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
hondamedic
Community Member

Re: Cassini and the New ebay

in reply to hondamedic

Afternoon TexasMan and welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

Nobody understands CASSINI, least of all eBay.... It's written by the software monkeys:

PFM

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to hondamedic

dan7b7 wrote:
eBay Search Blows There have been many threads eliminated in these discussion boards that did not buy into ebay's BS replies to its search engine mess. There is now a Facebook page about these many erroneous search results. https://www.facebook.com/pages/eBay-Search-Blows/535904259809874?ref=profile

Welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Sorry, don't do FaceBook... Got anything else?

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
ipickubuy
Community Member

in reply to dan7b7

Like anything new, it takes some getting used to and sometimes needs to be adjusted here and there.  

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to janewt-1
eBay Search Blows There have been many threads eliminated in these discussion boards that did not buy into ebay's BS replies to its search engine mess. There is now a Facebook page about these many erroneous search results. https://www.facebook.com/pages/eBay-Search-Blows/535904259809874?ref=profile
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to tommy_the_cat

july*hope wrote:

So basically eBay new system focuses on which listing will have a completed sale a priority?  

Welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

It's a bit more complicated than that.> http://www.terapeak.com/blog/2013/06/11/terapeak-how-to-crucial-factors-in-ebay-search-for-the-new-c...

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to july*hope

See below!

Please use plain text.
july*hope
Community Member

in reply to ipickubuy

So basically eBay new system focuses on which listing will have a completed sale a priority? 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dbgb2k

I've been doing all the research on Cassini that I can. I thought I would post this for everyone and get their take on it. It has a lot of specifics about what Cassini uses to evalute and rank listings.

http://auctionsitenews.com/ebay-cassini-search-optimization/

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hatter-2-reducks

Well, my search techniques still work... but there's not much left here to BUY! 

Sure, there's lots of duplicate stuff from China/HK, and plenty of retailers using eBay for free advertising... but private "lightly used" sellers are noticeably missing, the "unique" stuff at decent prices is rare at best - where'd all the "good stuff" get off to?

If "it" isn't here anymore, it doesn't matter if you want it now, you'll put on your googlie-eyes and find it elsewere, won'tcha now?

Wonder if the MBA's ever thunk about THAT...

Please use plain text.
posting_id_only_2013
Community Member

Absolutely, its great news for all.  Ebay with know all and do all.

Cassini = Houdini --- Poof your sales are gone !

"Four Score and 10 years ago ebay was once a fun enjoyable place to do business." - NOW - "The Beatings will continue until seller morale improves." And if there is no improvement the Cassini Search will delete all your listings from its Search results.
Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

So.... I've decided just to sit back on the couch and wait for ebay to send an employee by my home to pick up all my items for sale.

That means you will not be buying or selling.  Sounds like very good news for other buyers & sellers.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
posting_id_only_2013
Community Member

Yes, this new search engine is frightening artifical intelligence. No need to think anymore.
Cassini will do it for you.

So.... I've decided just to sit back on the couch and wait for ebay to send an employee by my home to pick up all my items for sale.  Do an inventory of my closets, drawers, computers, garage and basement.

Then... out come the sample bags from my blood, urine, hair and DNA samples.

AND

Then... A USB port will be installed at the base of my skull and I will be put into a deep deep coma supported by life supporting machines.

With all my inventory in hand and all my personal bodily fluids and the USB port hook up, there won't be any need for me to shop or use the search engines anymore.

EBAY... will be my BIG BROTHER. I will be assimilated into the SYSTEM.

Long live the BORG.

Really ! ;\   Sleep my little pretty... Sleeeeppppppp.

"Four Score and 10 years ago ebay was once a fun enjoyable place to do business." - NOW - "The Beatings will continue until seller morale improves." And if there is no improvement the Cassini Search will delete all your listings from its Search results.
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

This needed a bump.> https://www.appeagle.com/what-to-expect-from-eBays-cassini-search-engine

Please use plain text.
tinkurbel
Community Member

When I buy, I do everything humanly possible to get away from best match. Algorithms just don't know me as well as I know me, and they never will.

When people shop, they want to shop. They don't want to be told what to buy with the rest being hidden from them.

Imagine going to a grocery store and half the food on the shelves disappearing because last week you bought a different brand of tomatoes...

I could not agree with you more.  I will be in serious trouble with this new search engine. I think most my customers find my listings on accident.  I make some obscure items and I'm not sure how many people would be searching for something like a "miniature barrel with Lobsters on ice" or "miniature art deco era vase filled with wire flowers".  or even my cauldron filled with boiling rat bones. 

When I search I want to see all possible matches not just the ones they are going to show me. I know I will be truly frustrated knowing there are listings it wont let me see.

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

The search engine has been researching us for years already....

did you mean this 100?

did you mean that 1011?

did you mean them 35?

did you mean her 2099?

did you mean him 4566?

did you mean us 3456?

did you mean cat?

did you mean catfish?

did you mean carpfish?

did you mean carpe diem?

did you mean cargo dock?

did you mean cargo pants?

did you mean cargello?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

Hitting the spot, literally!

Please use plain text.
hanna2414
Community Member

TNT, Tell it brother!

Please use plain text.
taadaa58
Community Member

Like this?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I always used to watch MPFC,but for some reason do not remember that one! I woke my husband laughing so hard at that skit!!! Thanks BG!!   :^O

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Please use plain text.
bostongrammy
Community Member

Like this?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Did I actually see "the code is good" referring to EBAY?!?!?!

C'mon, these are the same guys we've proved can't calculate a SIMPLE AVERAGE SELLING PRICE!!  Let alone all the other glitches...

I never bother with "best match", I use my own search methods, except when eBay randomly alters what I ask of it... 

Until eBay hires someone who actually understands how people buy (not an MBA who "studies" how people buy and writes a report about their "theories and conclusions"), they will be the victims of a simple underlying flaw:

Code is only as good as the algorithms behind it, the skill of the programmers, and the quality of the testing before release.  EBay fails that first part CONSTANTLY, and doesn't even bother with the third part anymore - code is constantly being randomly injected and removed - I never know what pages will look like from day to day, they change as "testing" is being done "on the fly"...

It would be insane to believe that they are somehow going to "build the perfect search engine".

AND once the do, it will work just long enough until people figure out how to "game" the results, which won't take long... then it will be one more expensive un-polish-able "dropping".

Many moons ago eBay had a contest to teach people how to "fish" (use the search function to find what they were looking for), now they just want to slap the buyer up the side o' the head with a fish tossed in their general direction...

Those who do not learn the fundamentals of history are doomed...

Please use plain text.