cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

,99 cent auctions and free shipping. can't make money on this... can you?

ebay encourages .99 cent auctions. free shipping.

several times and recently i sold an item for .99 cents and free shipping.

today it cost me $2.53 to send a small book. this was first class as it was cheaper that media mail. .7oz

when i start listing again i feel the need to inform buyers why i don't start auctions at .99 and free shipping.

recently i have had to explain to a couple of buyers why i charge shipping on a small item.

does anyone have a way that works for you to handle this?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@trendydreams wrote:

Yeah. 

Do NOT start auctions at 99¢ with Free Shipping.

evilBay is NOT your Friend.

Therefore their advice is not to be trusted.

There was a time when you could start an auction at 99¢ and have a bidding war...

You still can if you are selling a $3,000 guitar...

You can start bidding at 99¢ or 1¢ and there will be a bidding war.

You could also end an auction early if there is no interest.

But most of evilBay's customers are shopping on their cell phones.

They are not here for a long-term commitment, they just want to buy-it-now and move on.

So they will only be bidding on your item in the last 5 minutes...

any longer and their battery will die or their connection will time-out.

Back on Topic...

Do not start an auction for less than you are willing to sell the item for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure I won't be doing this again. Most of my items I can wait it out and have always preferred BuyITnow myself and would think others do also.

I try to limit my information because I agree, people are on cell phones or just clicking through and looking for a purchase.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@trendydreams wrote:

when i start listing again i feel the need to inform buyers why i don't start auctions at .99 and free shipping.

recently i have had to explain to a couple of buyers why i charge shipping on a small item.

Why do you feel the need to inform buyers of this? Just change the way you list. There is no reason to inform them of anything. 

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

eBay seller: "Doc, it hurts when I do this." (list for .99 w/FS)

Doctor: "Then don't do that."

You list to make sure you'll turn the amount of profit you require. Or you don't list.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I have answered several buyers with this question. I agree with you but thought it might be a way to avoid any misunderstanding.

There is NO WHERE... that ships for free very often. I used to buy from Lands End, other retailers and they would offer free shipping on any amount occasionally but they don't do it anymore. It has to be a 50.00 order.

It is annoying to me that I have some items that I am basically never going to sell because there are sellers, especially those listing from China, that ship free.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Sellers offer Free Shipping on eBay all the time.

It helps in many ways.

Now , as for being helpful....change your NO RETURNS policy to at least a 14 Day " YES I CHEERFULLY ACCEPT RETURNS policy.....or you may find yourself back here with more serious problems !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@trendydreams wrote:

Wow, they started doing that again? Just curious where you saw it, because they finally took it out of this quickstart guide a year or so ago. It's really, really, bad advice to start listings at 99¢.

Start them at the minimum you can accept before giving them away  or in some cases, paying someone to take it off your hands.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

False!

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261271169462?

Glad you won't be doing this again!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I do list some of my item for 0.99cents occasionally.

I do it for a simple reason, to attract buyer to my store and purchase more.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

It's interesting you should bring up this topic because occasionally I see items like the one you described sell for 99 cents and I know the seller had to lose money on it. When I first started I made the same mistake and sold some nice items for way too cheap.

You shouldn't have to explain your starting price or your shipping. I've never had anyone ask me but I do get some weird questions so it's no surprise it has happened to you. 

I have a store and rarely use auction format, unless like Arthur said, I have an item that I know will spark a bidding war or is in high enough demand that I know will reach  the price I want for it. 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Don't Mention it!

Do not bother to explain why you are no longer starting your listings at 99¢.  I went into the gas station today -- the manager did not come outside to fill up my gas tank, nor did he wash my windshield; check the radiator fluid; or top off the oil.   Hmmm?  Not only that -- but he offered no explanation why they were charging nearly $4.00 for a gallon of gas (instead of the 16.9¢ I used to pay, back when ...) --- I wonder why.

Just change the starting price to what you need to receive.

• The bottom feeding crowd chases after those 99¢ listings -- Why should any seller expect to be paid for shipping?  If the seller does charge shipping, those cheapskate buyers will ask for a discount because of the excessive shipping charge.  Not only that, bottom feeders are the first ones to complain about shipping time; re-used packaging materials; or items which are not absolutely factory fresh.
  • Charge a little more, and you will find the buyers are much less apt to complain and hassle about every penny they have to pay.
  • Moderately priced items (especially in the collectibles categories) will be met by appreciative buyers.  No explanation needed -- these buyers are more apt to understand the value in receiving the item "as described"; secure packaging; and delivery within a reasonable time.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@kansas_gal06 wrote:

@trendydreams wrote:

Wow, they started doing that again? Just curious where you saw it, because they finally took it out of this quickstart guide a year or so ago. It's really, really, bad advice to start listings at 99¢.

Start them at the minimum you can accept before giving them away  or in some cases, paying someone to take it off your hands.

On the simplified Listing form, they do (strongly?) suggest you start your item as an Auction with a .99 cent start price. They then suggest Free Shipping to attract more buyers on the shipping setup page of the form. They then try to hammer those suggestions home on the final edit page before you list.Smiley Very Happy

Wow, multi.  What a stupid way to drive away new sellers! Also I think the default is the simplified listing form, so yeah, new sellers would be seeing that. I use the other form. I forget what option I needed so I had to swtich to that.

@bizexpress-inc wrote:

I do list some of my item for 0.99cents occasionally.

I do it for a simple reason, to attract buyer to my store and purchase more.

Yes, I have seen it work for some sellers. The item type also comes into play.  For example some charms I collect - starting them at 99¢ does drive interest to the seller - but they never sell for that. They get bid up to normal prices. It's kinda risky for a small seller whose items get placed down on page 5, though.

OT, bizexpress, I see you sell water transfer nail art. I am looking for some to do a denim manicure. I used all mine up in the set I got. If you have any to sell I would be delighted to get them from you!  They are just white or gold dashes, like stiching on jeans.

example is here

Message 15 of 35
latest reply