• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
mpel4860
Community Member
Accepted Solution
does a seller have to post a tracking number?

I purchased an item with free shipping and it was marked shipped yesterday but there is not tracking number. I cantacted the seller via ebay message and asked if they could send me the tracking info and they said because its free shipping there is no tracking number. I am not happy because even when I sell an item with free shipping it still post a tracking number. Do they have to provide me with one especially if I request it???

<script></script>
Accepted Solution
terryinstow
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

no, but to qualify for top seller status, 90% of transactions must have it posted in 24 hours.

It is bad business not to do it especially if the buyer asks for it.  Perhaps it was shipped without delivery conformation which is bad business too.

Other Answers: 8
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

no.. but that is risky business..the seller will have no way of proving it was delivered. if any problems arise you are proteected. you will win any case and be refunded your money by default because seller cannot dispute. without proof they sent it..but please be honest if you do get the item, if not open a case and get refund

inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

sorry but hitting a shipped button is not good enough for me when i have no confirmation that something i paid for was actually shipped

Buyer Protection should be good enough for you. Sellers are not required purchase tracking or delivery confirmation and they are not required to provide them to you. Tracking/DC is for the seller's protection.

now i will not know when to expect it

The estimated delivery window is shown on the item listing. You could ask your parents to let you know when it arrives.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

you should stipulated this with your seller at time of sale. nothing can be done now

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

Two problems here, first one being no one is required to provide tracking numbers, the fact that you do has nothing to do with what someone else does.

Second problem is how in the world do you think anyone can get a tracking number on something already shipped?

Of course you realize there are no tracking numbers with USPS except for Express Mail, delivery confirmation is exactly that, the po is promising notification when delivery is made, nothing else, any other info you may get is just a courtesy.

Site Map at bottom of every eBay page can be your best eBay friend!
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

>>>Do they have to provide me with one especially if I request it???<<<

"Especially"? No, they don't have to ship with one or post one or provide one to a buyer.

Shipped is shipped. Just wait the estimated timeframe. Don't fixate on a tracking number.

mpel4860
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

Yes, well I live in the city and will not have something shipped here for fear someone will steal it, so I have my items shipped to my parents house in the country, now i will not know when to expect it or if they really even shipped it, sorry but hitting a shipped button is not good enough for me when i have no confirmation that something i paid for was actually shipped

<script></script>
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

It is not bad business. Buyers buy items, not tracking numbers.

bluelinda1960
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mpel4860

Not all sellers use Delivery Confirmation.  They should for their own protection but some do not.  Like a previous poster said 'you paid for an item not a confirmation number'.