eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
Accepted Solution

can I use a priority mail tyvek envelope to ship first class? (its not a flat rate envelope)

Please use plain text.
vistaexports
Community Member

Re: can I use a priority mail tyvek envelope to ship first class? (its not a flat rate envelope)

in reply to heidii69

Hello,

It is considered illegal to ship anything in the Tyvek mailing envelope without Priority Mail Postage, unfortunately.

May I suggest using the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelopes, which cost only around $5.50 (50¢ more than regular flat rate envelopes), but you can squeeze much more into them for a low flat rate. (The only catch is that you have to order them from USPS.com, and it takes a little while for them to be delivered, but they are still free)

Otherwise, if you are looking for mailing envelopes that are close to free, you can buy the grey plastic mailers on eBay for $15 for 50. They are rather eco-friendly (50% recycled material) and they protect very well, just make sure that you get the right size! :smileyhappy:.

aEP14PE-01-main-900x695.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: can I use a priority mail tyvek envelope to ship first class? (its not a flat rate envelope)

in reply to vistaexports

Thank you. I just read all sorts of other stuff on yahoo from "usps" ee's that said it was ok just black out the priority. I didnt feel comfortable with that. All I have is a girls shirt less than a pound. Didnt want to spend 5.50. I still have yet to buy thoes poly bags. So for now Its either a manila envelope or a flat rate box correct? or do you have a sugestion? Ive been doing everything flate rate even if it comes out of my pocket.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

in reply to heidii69

If the total weight is 13 oz. or less, you can use any PLAIN Tyvek envelope, or a bubble envelope, or a poly mailer to send your item via First Class Mail.  Maximum cost (retail) is $3.77 plus $0.90 for tracking.  Online prepaid postage costs less and includes tracking, starting at $1.69 for up to 3 oz.

I do not recommend using paper envelopes for "squishy" stuff like clothing.  Paper tears too easily. However, you can line the envelope with light cardboard -- the kind that backs legal pads -- or scrap corrugated cardboard, to reinforce a paper envelope.

In quantity, plain bubble envelopes cost between $0.25 and $0.50 each, depending on size and source.  If you need only a few envelopes, check your local drug store, dollar store or office supplies store.  Look for sales, usually before gift-giving holidays, and rebates.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
lja440
Community Member

in reply to heidii69

Crossing out markings, wrapping or flipping a Priority mailer doesn't ever make it OK to use for other classes of mail. Your package would either come back to you or arrive at the buyers home postage due.

Walmart and Staples both carry small packs of different mailers (I have no Dollar Store convenient to me) very inexpensive. You can even make your own small mailers out of cardboard cut T shaped. I do this for single books and it could work for a shirt. Place the book or folded shirt (I'd fold it and put it in a ziploc bag. Lay on scrap cardboard mark the top of the T half again as wide as the item and the upright 3 times as long. Cut, lay the item down bend in the top of the T, fold up the bottom up and over the item and down the back, tape to secure.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to heidii69

NO!

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
nobody*s_perfect
Community Member

in reply to heidii69

heidii69 wrote:

Thank you. I just read all sorts of other stuff on yahoo from "usps" ee's that said it was ok just black out the priority. ... So for now Its either a manila envelope or a flat rate box correct? or do you have a sugestion? Ive been doing everything flate rate even if it comes out of my pocket.

Yikes, don't take any more advice from those folks!  It's printed right on the Priority boxes and envelopes that they can only be used for Priority Mail.

The Priority Tyvek envelope, which as you said isn't a flat-rate envelope, will cost $5.05 - $6.51 for an online label for 1 pound, depending on distance. In other words, to closer Zones it's cheaper than a padded flat-rate envelope (which costs $5.70). USPS also offers many boxes for which you pay postage based on weight and distance and they are often cheaper than the flat-rate boxes..

You can also use regular plain boxes for First Class packages, it doesn't have to be an envelope. So if you have any lightweight boxes (maybe leftover from Christmas), you could use that too as long as the weight doesn't go over 13 ounces.

Please use plain text.
jacobsghost
Community Member

in reply to nobody*s_perfect

you can get those mailers for free from UPS and FedEx

Guard Against The Imposturers Of Pretended Freedom
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nobody*s_perfect

nobody*s_perfect wrote:

heidii69 wrote:

Thank you. I just read all sorts of other stuff on yahoo from "usps" ee's that said it was ok just black out the priority. ... So for now Its either a manila envelope or a flat rate box correct? or do you have a sugestion? Ive been doing everything flate rate even if it comes out of my pocket.

Yikes, don't take any more advice from those folks!  It's printed right on the Priority boxes and envelopes that they can only be used for Priority Mail.

Seriously. Even if you black out "Priority Mail," it's obvious to even a slightly trained eye that you're using a Priority box/mailer, so you're not fooling anyone.

USPS gives out those supplies as a courtesy to promote the use of Priority Mail. Customers are not entitled to them, and USPS has every right to pull them if they feel they're being misused or they're otherwise not serving their intended purpose. 

Please use plain text.
theatricalhead2toe
Community Member

in reply to heidii69

No, it's called a Priority envelope because it is to be used only for Priority.

Please use plain text.