eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
bthphotography
Community Member
Won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii - I'm sick of it.

When I'm willing to pay more than the high bid on a rare item that I'm unlikely to see again, and that's being offered by a U.S. seller, I should not be eliminated from the market by an arbitrary rule about which U.S. citizens are not allowed to participate in the auction.  Even in cases where there are differences in shipping costs (either because of the size/weight of the item, or because the seller isn't smart enough to use USPS shipping), the buyer pays the shipping cost so it shouldn't matter to the seller.  What if I said I would only sell to people who live south of the Mason-Dixon line?  Or that I won't sell to people who live in states on the eastern seaboard?  Believe it or not, mail arrives safely in Alaska and Hawaii every day, just like it does in California, Kansas, Illinois, and New York.  I'm sick and tired of being a second-class citizen because of which state I choose to live in, and I think E-bay should stop offering sellers that choice.

Other Answers: 5
bthphotography
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bthphotography

Even if they're shipping via UPS/FedEx, why not ship to states where those services deliver?  The price may be higher, but the buyer is paying it, not the seller.  There is no good reason for a U.S. seller to refuse to ship to any U.S. state, unless they're shipping very perishable goods where an extra day for delivery is likely to ruin the product.  I get wine in bottles, frozen meats and seafood, all sorts of fragile household goods, from companies all over the country.  E-bay is the only place I've ever seen where sellers routinely refuse to ship to Alaska or Hawaii.  It should not be offered as an option at all.

bthphotography
Community Member
Answered

Maybe I will bid and have it shipped to a friend in the contiguous 48 states, but with the condition that they discount the price by an additional handling fee for my friend.  It only seems fair, since the extra handling wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for their arbitrary rules.

disneyshopper
Community Member
Answered

I think many new sellers just select to exclude those locations because they see others do it.

If ebay would insert a statement in the Shipping preferences stating NOT to check that box if shipping via USPS, perhaps it would help.  Either that, or not show that option unless the seller first selects shipping via UPS/Fed Ex.

rosie0331
Community Member
Answered

I agree - it's ridiculous that sellers who use USPS refuse to ship to HI, AK and PO Boxes.

But eBay allows the choices to be made.

You'll have to find another seller who is smarter than the ones you have encountered.

Photobucket

Woof! Woof!
alohasteve50
Community Member
Answered

I know what you mean, Bth,

I live in Hawaii and ship worldwide.