eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Shipping to APO

Hi,

I recently moved to Germany and have an APO address. I did a lot of buying prior to this but haven't bought anything yet except from several merchants and have received all my products in less than a week.

I have emailed two sellers asking if they ship to APO and one asked me if that was the same as PO. When I explained what it was, I never heard back. The other seller never answered me either. Do sellers not know what APO is? Do I have to ask everytime now that I bid on an auction whether the seller will ship to APO? It's getting to be a pain to do this and I am missing out on many good auctions. Very few sellers seem to address APO in their auctions.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Shipping to APO

in reply to bonniecrocker
Some sellers don't know what an APO is.

Some don't use the Post Office for shipping, so can't send to APO.

Some are reluctant to send to APO because Delivery Confirmation isn't available.

If it's not specifically listed, it's probably in your best interests to ask. I know it's a pain, but it will avoid misunderstandings later.

Personally, I'm more than happy to ship to an APO. It's more than worth the small amount of extra time it takes me to fill out the customs form.
Please use plain text.
couldabeenworse
Community Member

I think you would be wise to ask in advance - especially if the listings state shipping to 'us only". MANY ebay sellers are either amateurs, very set in their ways, or fear chargebacks due to unconfirmed addresses.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

HI!

IMHO there are only 4 reasons sellers do not ship to APO addresses:

1. They don't know what it is, and they just say no, instead of asking what it is.

2. They don't ship USPS.

3. They are scared away because DC is not available. They fear the PAYPAL chargeback.

4. They think it costs more and is complicated.

I for one ship to APO without a problem, and this is listed in my shipping terms.

If I was you, I would draft a short simple email asking sellers if they ship to APO's, and explain what an APO address is in the email. Especially that the postal cost is the same as shipping to a regular address with that zip code.

Some people simple don't know that this is how servicemen/women receive their mail. That it does not cost any more to ship to them. The package is fully insurable.

They only things you do different is to fill out a customs form, and you hand write the label.

I understand in the near future that DC is going to be available, and this will free up many sellers to ship to APO's.

Good Luck!

Beadmistress
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I don't know who the board pink is, but since there is an APO thread or three each week, maybe one of them can be pinned at the top.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will continue to ask and yes, I agree, we need something at the top of the discussion list that addresses information about APO.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

bonniecrocker

IF THEY DONT SHIP BY USPS THEY WON'T SHIP TO APO AND FPO.
I WON'T, WELL I WILL IF THE BUYER WANTS TO PAY ME $20 TO STAND IN LINE TO DO SO.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I ship to APO and FPO's and consider it a privilege to do so.

Our men and women in the military lead a tough life and deserve a little more from the rest of us. If standing in line is the only INCONVENIENCE I have, I'm glad to do it. The kids in the military leave our shores, give up years of their lives, and face terrible dangers so we can be free. LOL, they even give up Wal Mart.

Don't talk about AAFES (the PX), because they can not compete with ebay sellers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

We gladly ship to APO/FPO. We have to got to the post office anyway to pick up our mail. I agree that info on how to ship to these brave men and women should be pinned to the top to avoid confusion.

Maybe staring a list or thread for APO shippers would help?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

A trip to the post office in Grants Pass Oregon is the worst experience you could ever have is just not worth it.
I would not go there unless absolutely necessarily.
The workers, if you can even call them that are ALL slowpoke and have the I work for the government attitude.

I just would as I said need $20 bucks extra to be put through it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

x5000, use carrier pickup, or charge an extra $12.50 instead of $20 and do an on demand pickup.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am somewhat irritated by dells attitude toward APO customers. I hope it does not affect others or go toward their decision Not to ship to APO / FPO's.

These young heroes and their families need all the support we can possibly give them.

I have perhaps 1 APO shipment a month, and if it involves going to the P.O. and facing the "surly Government Employee, mean, lazy post office clerk" I am perfectly willing to do it. BTW, my clerks in 3 different P.O.'s I visit are extremely friendly, always willing to talk about ebay. Of course, I always ask them about their vacations, family, etc. One has become a regular customer of mine, buying DVD's. (charging her shipping charges is a challenge) but I digress...

Imagine you are a young newly married girl, having gone to Germany to be with your husband, and he is promptly shipped to Iraq for 6 months. She just wants a couple of things from ebay, and it is denied to her because somebody, IN THE EBAY CUSTOMER SERVICE BUSINESS can't be bothered to go to the P.O.. Sorry, no sympathy here....Bob
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dells4less,

If you don't care to ship to APO, that is fine but grow up in the attitude. My husband has been working 12 + hour days and comes home each night with bags under his eyes to be involved in protecting our country. What a judgmental attitude and I'm sure the laziness is seen nowhere else other than the government???? Yeah, right. A lack of work ethics has to do with a person's innate sense of what is right or wrong and not who they work for.

Bob and to the others that ship to APO.....thanks so much and Bob, I doubt seriously anyone with any intelligence would be affected by Delldip's attitude. Right now it is isolating to be here with 3 little ones under the age of 3 and ebay has always been a wonderful way for me to buy things without having to haul little ones out the door,especially now in a foreign country.

Again, thanks for the replies. Who do we contact to get them to maybe start a thread for APO or even have our discussion group?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Too much trouble waiting in line? Try waiting 48-72 hours while under mortar fire to get some sleep or food. These people have YOUR back and you want to deny them a few purchases because it's inconvenient to you? I'm sure they would gladly stand in line if you would run 20 miles in full chem gear, carrying 50 pounds in 120 degree weather while being shot at.

Also remember that military members are under a stricter ethical code than the rest of us. One word of a problem to the commander or first Sgt and your problem is resolved. How easy can it be?

Thank you to those who took up for the military members. Don't leave them out in the cold. They aren't leaving you there. The weird thing is, they don't care if you appreciate them or not; they'll still be out there protecting you and watching your back.

Susan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Also remember that military members are under a stricter ethical code than the rest of us. One word of a problem to the commander or first Sgt and your problem is resolved. How easy can it be?

That is funny. I doubt it would be easy to find out who thier commander is and be able to contact tham at all.

Until you can use DC and SC on APO/FPO shipments I will not ship to them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Their C.O. and Sergeant Major all all contactable at the same address you shipped to. Whenever they hear about any creditor related problems with their troops, they're brought in front of the man and can have their pay docked among other punishments. This is one thing the superiors do not look positively on.
Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

I see you poster's forgot that you have to fill out the custom form's for APO and FPO ? That is why most seller's will not ship world wide as well.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

takes 1 minute MAX to fill out a customs form i recently discovered, when i sent out a care pkg yesterday. and i'll gladly wait in line as well if it means helping our servicemen & women. if you can wait in the grocery lines regularly, you can wait in the PO line for an even better cause.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Their C.O. and Sergeant Major all all contactable at the same address you shipped to.

Yes but how would you go about finding out thier names so you can send them a letter to help with the problem?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I've stopped selling to APO addresses, because first of all, it takes forever to hear back from them after I send my EOA e-mail...then it takes sooo long to get their payment! I won't take Paypal from them, as I don't take credit cards. One sale came from a guy in Iraq...I didn't realize they had so much free time on their hands and access to ebay as well! Anyway, he told me he would send cash from there and it might take 2 weeks to get to me...if ever! I accepted it even though I expect payment within 7 days, and don't accept international bids at all. Thank goodness I didn't have to send the item to Iraq...he wanted it sent to Washington state. So now I will put in my TOS, that I do not sell to APO addresses. Believe me, I am NOT un- American! I love the USA...even more so since I lived almost 9 years in Iraq myself! That REALLY makes you appreciate the USA!! I don't mind filling out the customs form...only takes a few seconds...but sales to APO are like international sales...rather un-reliable!
Please use plain text.