• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Medium Flat Rate Box Shipping Cost?

Ok, so I'm using a Medium Flat Rate Box to ship an item. If I use the Medium Flat Rate price, it is way more expensive than if I were to just do Priority Mail shipping. Can I still use Priority Mail shipping on my shipping label, or do I have to do the Flat Rate because of the box?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions: 2
mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bornefamily2c0e

If you black out the "Flat Rate" on the box, it is still a Flat Rate box regardless. You may find a nasty message from your buyer about the postage due when he gets it if you attempt to deceive the postal service.

If you use the free boxes from the post office they can only be used for their intended purpose.

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
ilovegrandkids6
Community Member
Answered

If you want to use the flat rate box then you HAVE to purchase the flat rate shipping label.  

Other Answers: 5
Community Member
Answered

Seriously? I can't just cover the box with brown paper like oldlady120 suggested??? :smileysad:

Thanks everyone, for your answers!!!!

bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered

Flat rate  is a flat rate, not a maximum rate. You can't pay any less than the flat-rate price when you use a flat-rate box.

Ignore the advice to camouflage it; if the box is identified (they have unique dimensions), your package could be upgraded and delivered with significant Postage Due.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered

Ignore the advice to black out the Flat Rate marking--that's illegal. Flat Rate box = Flat Rate postage. 

Community Member
Answered

Flat rate means weight doesn't matter if it fits in the box.You can't mark out the markings on the box, BUT if the size  works for you and the Priority rate is cheaper even with the weight, you may wrap the box in plain brown paper and use Priority labels or mailing tape to seal it, and affix Priority postage.

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered

If its a flat rate box, you have to pay the flat rate postage.

There are other kinds of Priority Mail boxes, that are not flat rate. You can order them from the USPS website. Or, you can use any box you want, and get Priority Mail stickers from the USPS website (or the post office).

Post Offices usually just stock the flat rate boxes, but when I have extras of other boxes, I drop them off in the post office lobby for anyone to use. You might get lucky.