eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How much does it cost to ship one of those Tyvek Priority Mail mailing envelopes?

I Can't find it on the USPS website, all I see is mill-pac? I'm just looking for the mailing evnvelope tyvek ones. Thank you

Accepted Solutions: 3
whiskertail
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

The cost is by weight and distance, just like any other Priority Mail shipment that is not Flat Rate nor Regional Rate.

See here:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

That is NOT a flat rate.

You would have to package and weight the item in the tyvek mailer.

disneyshopper
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

The tyvek enveopes weigh next to nothing, so it doesn't matter if you weigh the items before or after you package them up.

Other Answers: 5
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

I know this thread is old, but in case anyone is looking for it in 2013:

I recently mailed a Tyvek envelope and it goes by weight and size. I was mailing clothing a few hours away and it weighed 1.5 lbs. The cost to ship (minus the $0.45 off by doing it online) was about $5.30. If the weight is low, it may be better to use this instead of flat rate boxes - but only in certain cases! It's always best to have your own scale and weigh things yourself.

Best.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

Sure, it's on the USPS website. It's a Priority package and it goes by weight. How much does it weigh?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

I was just curious, its easier to fit items into those envelopes than the flat rate ones. Do I weigh the items before or after I packaged it all up? Thanks!

sheldragon
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

You will pay the rate for the actual size and weight of the final package, so it is best to get as accurate a size and weight as possible to estimate your shipping costs.

It is optimal to weigh the item already packaged. However, it is possible to estimate the weight by knowing the size package it will go in and weighing all the components: package (envelope or box), item, packing material that will be used, and the label and packing slip.

Use materials as close to the final packaging as you can. Measure what the final size will be (very important, because at a certain dimension, the rates increase significantly). Use a postal scale to weigh the total content.

Use that info in your description or to determine shipping cost to you (if you list as free shipping).

I have prepackaged the envelopes and boxes I use most often so that I can place those 'sample' packages on the scale and add the item. This way I have a very close estimate to determine cost.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
kimkutnup
Community Member
Answered
in reply to xdaniellexo

I shipped a bunch of them through out last week and this week as Priority Mail Legal Flat rate not realizing there was a difference... about 2 inches in length go figure and material of course. The biggest surprise is noone caught it until today and they were all delivered thankfully. Of course I was mad when I found out so I took the package with me and researched. IT IS PRIORITY MAIL BUT NOT FLAT RATE, it is weight sensitive as the postal worker explained to me. I just gut lucky, but it ran out.:womansad: