eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Answer
Community Member
8/30/2012 cannot print shipping labels, receiving eBay message "We had a problem retrieving a label. [Error: 9998]

Item has been paid for but error message comes up after "pay and print" button is selected in shipping module. Please advise.

Other Answers: 12
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

i had this problem for 1 hour.

then i clicked the edit address link and found the address line was too long.

some of the information was put into 1 line instead of 2.

this address had a suite number which when removed from 1 line and placed into the next empty line allowed me to then print.

so i think this should help.

EDIT the address !!

it will say whats wrong when you try to save it.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

I am having the same problem. I was able to print 3 labels this morning then ran into this roadblock.  It makes me wonder if USPS went down. ?

garykato
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

I just had this problem. The destination address field was too long. Before hitting the Pay and Print button, click on the Change button for the destination address. You might see something like this:

What Ebay shows as the destination address:

XXX

Building name, 12345678 Long_long_street_name, Apt 322

XXX, XXX XXXXX

When you click on the "Change" button, you see this for the first address box:

Building name, 12345678 Long_long_street_name,

Note that the apartment does not show up on the second address line but is past the end of the first box. You need to move the apartment (or whatever is causing the overflow) from the first line to the second address line. It is vital to remove the extra characters from the first box since that is what is causing the problem. The address boxes should look like this:

Building name, 12345678 Long_long_street_name

Apt 322

After doing this, everything worked normally.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

i contacted ebay twice about this problem, but they seem to be in denial and not much help. they keep telling me to delete cookies and change my computer settings instead of trying to find out what's wrong with their system. 

what a waste of time.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

I have the same problem.  Help @!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

It seems each day brings a new challenge with ebays wonderful shipping labels system today is the 9998 error again which only gives you the circle of death wheel then goes to the error message. They have clogged things up with so much "tech" that even they can't figure things out!

The easiest way is to AVOID ebays shipping label system and go directly to paypal and generate your shipping labels,(find your customers name or dollar amount transaction is easiest way to ID their transaction) (it not a error of fixing the customers address, because when you go thru paypal to print shipping label it goes straight thru WITHOUT ANY CHANGES, like it should have done thru ebay.

This proves it not on our end or "OUR" computer probelms ITS EBAYS SYSTEM FAILING!!! Dont let them give you the teflon answer as usual. If your a seller bound by the 1 day shipping deal to get your discount you need to let them know that their system is failing and you will get a ding for not printing your shipping label within "Their" time limit. This is caused by Ebay and not you and should not be counted against your upload of shipping labels.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

i am same problem  please any help

We're having trouble printing your label.We had a problem retrieving the label.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

I am having the same issue right now. I printed 8 labels today but the 5th one is giving me this error... all the others printed well. I've tried several times but keep getting this error message. Does anyone know what this is?

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

try again

jeffpiatt2010
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

getting the same error right now

Raptr Forum Signature
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sc4852055

I'm having the same problem. Cant print shipping labels. Can't find way to let ebay know. From reading the forum, seems like they don't know what to do either.

error mesg.png
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to sc4852055

Now with ebays new international shipping methods (International sale thru Global Shipping Program.), with extremly long addresses, for example.

Name

Reference #ORAAB000000043288999
1850 Airport Exchange Blvd #200
Erlanger, KY 41018
United States

It is too long for ebay label printing process to print, and you get an error, what an utter fail by ebay, ebays printing method cant handle the labels that they themselves have created, Ontop of that, you can edit any label you want, but the global shipping labels, so you cant edit them to be smaller, so if your stuck in a bind keep this in mind and call ebay for help with the problems that they have created, or try to pay with paypal, which also may not work.

I got mine to work after the 3rd try of printing with paypal.

hope this helps!