eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Ebay Charging On Shipping Fees!!!!

If Ebay Starts Adding Shipping Fees To Final Value on selling items im done selling items on ebay, il just be a purchaser instead, We all need to get together and quit selling on ebay and we can all get to a happy medium , if people quit selling on ebay the prices on ebay will go down quick!!! Just do it for a week!!!! join people, dont wanna let this happen, thanks amatta
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Ebay Charging On Shipping Fees!!!!

in reply to amatta2761
Looks like you are leaving Ebay then cause it happens in a couple weeks.
DEE
Please use plain text.
jessesdoghouse
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Why would you stop selling over a pocket change increase in fees??:smileyindifferent: Did you stop driving or paying your insurance when gas increased more than a dollar per gallon??:smileyindifferent:

If you weren't making any money on ebay to begin with, then quitting is quite understandable.;-)

And calling for everyone to halt their sales isn't going to work either.:-( The United States hasn't been that unified since the Revolutionary War.:-p

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
The main reason for this is the people who try to avoid eBay fees by starting their item low and making up for that by charging monster shipping fees.
THEY'RE the ones you should be mad at.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
pargran3
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Actually, I am more angry with the buyers that bought those items anyway and then griped about what they paid. You see that advice on the boards to just consider the total cost. Well, thanks a lot!!

Radine
boardsig
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
To Daveroo and eBay . . . I am mad at eBay for not going after the people supposedly responsible for the fee increase on postage. Instead, they have chosen to "tax" everyone. This, to me, is more a rationalization for Corporate Greed as opposed to a justification eBay has put forth to make us "more profitable". In short, it is unbelievable !!! Why not charge a fee for the gasoline used on my daily rides to the Post Office ? Or how about a fee for the packing materials and tape and such I do not charge for ? Or how about a fee for all the time I spend for my efforts ? . . . Where is my profit for my work ? Oh, I forgot, it is in the pockets of Mr. Boardroom GreedyBay !!! Shame on you . . . You have succeeded to drive me away. As of this writing, I will begin to look elsewhere to sell. Enough is enough !!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
1dealio1

In case you don't see my response where you wrote your opinion in another thread I'll mention that eBay employees do not read the Boards.
Please use plain text.
53sweeps
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
E-bay doesnt look? Thats funny, my last response was removed 30 seconds after i posted it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
'Cause another poster reported it....
Please use plain text.
alice.831
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
To Daveroo and eBay . . . I am mad at eBay for not going after the people supposedly responsible for the fee increase on postage. Instead, they have chosen to "tax" everyone. This, to me, is more a rationalization for Corporate Greed as opposed to a justification eBay has put forth to make us "more profitable". In short, it is unbelievable !!! Why not charge a fee for the gasoline used on my daily rides to the Post Office ? Or how about a fee for the packing materials and tape and such I do not charge for ? Or how about a fee for all the time I spend for my efforts ? . . . Where is my profit for my work ? Oh, I forgot, it is in the pockets of Mr. Boardroom GreedyBay !!! Shame on you . . . You have succeeded to drive me away. As of this writing, I will begin to look elsewhere to sell. Enough is enough !!!

What you are doing by posting this repeatedly is called spamming the boards. It's a no-no.

I replied in the other thread too.

By definition, ebay cannot levy a tax. Details in the other thread.

53sweeps, ebay doesn't look, Live World looks at posts that are reported for violations and will remove posts that are inviolation.

Best - 80 edited with credit to CM photo fbb6d9cf-b663-4866-9be0-f949f1cdb045_zps9f4f24fe.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Not happy about this either. I have always charged exact shipping only and refunded the difference. I guess I will offer free shipping and instead of starting my auctions at .99 cents I will start at the shipping cost. Oh well adapt and move on. Ebay may care about me as a buyer but I do not think care much about me as a seller.
Please use plain text.
pargran3
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Gee, that sounds like a plan. Start at shipping cost. One bid. Minus final value fee and paypal fees. Wow. Making money now.

Radine
boardsig
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Not happy about this either. I have always charged exact shipping only and refunded the difference. I guess I will offer free shipping and instead of starting my auctions at .99 cents I will start at the shipping cost.

Same here, not happy, but what difference would it make if you offer free shipping? You'll still pay a final value fee on the total amount that will include the shipping cost.

When I first read that we can list 50 auction items per month for free, I was thrilled ... until I read further and discovered they are going to charge a FVF on shipping costs. Doesn't eBay realize that shipping is very expensive? If I sell a heavy item such as a printer, shipping is anywhere from $20-40. Why should eBay charge me a fee based on a percentage of my shipping costs? Even shipping something like a coat is expensive, anywhere from $9-17, depending on the weight.

1dealio1's comparison to a tax is a good analogy. All sellers are going to have to pay a fee (read: tax) on their shipping costs.

Daveroo wrote, "The main reason for this is the people who try to avoid eBay fees by starting their item low and making up for that by charging monster shipping fees."

It is a pity eBay is going to punish all sellers due to the behavior of what is probably a small fraction of sellers.

It looks like one advantage of the new plan is that if your item doesn't sell, you don't pay a listing fee -- is that correct? Thanks!

LK
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
It looks like one advantage of the new plan is that if your item doesn't sell, you don't pay a listing fee -- is that correct? Thanks! LK

That is correct! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Get over all the rhetoric...eBay was going to raise their fees...period. There are three places to do it: listing fees, FVFs or Paypal fees. The change in FVF calculation hurts sellers who ship heavy items. It will break even with the free listing fees for many. Some will even be ahead. EVERY time eBay tinkers with fees there are winners and losers. Been that way since I joined in 1998. NOBODY likes increases but they are a fact of life. Been to the gas station or grocery store lately?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761

It's not Ebay's job to make you "more profitable".

That's your job!

Nor is it Ebay's, mine, or anyone else's fault that you do not include your gas money, shipping supplies and compensation for your time in your selling price.

That's your fault!

Shame on you!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
I do quite well thank you
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
I think the main concern here is that if ebay charges fees on shipping money, how is there enough money to ship with? Those that charge shipping costs that are fair now dont have enough to ship the item. Oh wait, that can just come out of the profits on the item.... i guess sellers will just have to say shipping costs are 9% increased due to ebay and not yourself. But if people really think ebay is just now being unfair then they need to wake up. It has not been about the seller for a long time. The positive thing that you can take out of this however is you can realize with all the fees you pay you can purchase a real brick and mortar store and create your own website to sell items all over the world.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
Ebay just wanted to raise the fees and this is just how they chose to do it.
DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to amatta2761
I commonly refund postage overpayments via paypal if I have miscalculated. Will e-bay refund the extra final value fee they charged me which included the shipping cost?
Please use plain text.