eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

My eBay Former Test Group Chat

This thread is for those who were formerly in the My eBay beta test group. During the month of July when you could not opt out of the beta, many of you got to know each other on this board. So this thread is for you to have a central place to come to chat. Others are welcome, of course.

Ceril
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ceril@ebay.com
Well, I guess I'll make the start by thanking Ceril for opening this forum and as she said in the My Ebay Beta Feedback thread she will have someone with the capability to tack it to the top do so when she gets back to work on Monday, have a good weekend Ceril
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello, I hope this thread will be as interesting to read as the beta thread was. Thanks Ceril.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks, siggysworld and flatrader03.

I'll be spending the rest of the day writing up some requirements for some changes and proposed changes to My eBay. (For example, adding page views to My eBay is currently on the books--schedule is always subject to prioritization of other eBay projects. The feedback module is a proposed change that hasn't been approved for booking yet.)

After that, we'll be trying a Hawaiian restaurant for dinner. Ever had a luau pig? Don't know what to call it, but it's a pig that gets roasted in a pit in the ground. Melt-in-your-mouth pork. I've only ever had it in Hawaii--but it's a bit expensive to go there to get it!

Ceril
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mexicans do pit-roasting for celebrations as well, takes hours and hours to cook but it's well worth the wait, soooo yummy.

I've also had hawaiian piglet on a stick roasted over an open fire (I think they call that spit-roasting) and then served on a platter surrounded with native fruits, mmmmm.

Hawaiians are known for their great food presentation, as are the Japanese.

I wish we had a hawaiian restaurant here but I'll have to contend myself with Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse and a few good local non-chain restaurants.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

A BABY piglet??? OMG!!That's like roasting an easter chick!Poor things!!! ..

If you don't ask, you don't get.(pop-pop's proverbs)

:
:
Welcome to the gulag!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I bought lots of fresh veggies and fruit today, the prices were great and the quality was peak of the season! We live on the East Coast,Maryland. ..

:
:
Welcome to the gulag!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

cool I have a friend who lived in Princess Ann but he relocated to Arlington TX, I'm in the Boise, ID area btw

Fresh veggies are good and I try to incorporate them into meals as much as I can, but I loves my meats and poultry LOL, I admit I'm a carnivore hehehe.

Prices on most things are outrageous these days, $1.98 for one lousy red bell pepper! at Walmart even. Needless to say as much as I would have preferred the red one for color I ended up buying the much cheaper green peppers instead. Oh well, so my chicken fajitas didn't look quite as pretty as normally but tasted good just the same.
Pepsi products threw me into stickershock though, would you believe $4.48 for a 12pack? craaaaaaazy, I'm used to paying just a little more than that for a cube of 24 cans. In comparison 7up and Sunkist were $2.66 for a 12pack.

It's not easy going shopping these days if you have a limited budget, but I consider myself a good shopper, bargain hunter, coupon clipper. I sometimes hit up several stores in one shopping trip if there are worthwile sales that justify the extra fuel.

My grandmother used to have a "war cookbook" that showed recipes using the minimum amount of meat and hard to get or expensive ingredients. I should look on ebay to see if anyone has a copy of that for sale LOL, might need it soon if we are headed into a depression.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

well what do you know, I actually found one LOL

"VINTAGE ANTIQUE WORLD WAR II COOK BOOK"

Which goes to show that you can find all kinds of unique things on ebay. And Mr. Donahoe wants to do away with the fleamarket image, tisk tisk.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hmmmmm
Many of the old Mexican celebrations invilved roasting a goat rather than a pig....
Just a thought.... :-p

Nice thought, Ceril, to start this thread.
I read the old thread almost daily and made quite a few posts to it (I whined and complained a lot, as I'm sure you know). I never did much chatting/visiting on it, but read all the others enough to realize that many of the "guinea pigs" had become very close in dealing with shared adversity!
I'll try to check in every now and then to say "Hi" and see how everybody's doing!
Shannon
xcowboykc

Please NO MORE BETA... and keep me out of Gamma, Delta, Epsilon thru Omega as well!
I Like eBay Classic!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Lol Shannon xcowboykc

"Please NO MORE BETA... and keep me out of Gamma, Delta, Epsilon thru Omega as well!
I Like eBay Classic!"

...oh and about roasting a pig or goat in mexican celebrations, it could be a regional thing. I have never actually been to Mexico so they may well prefer to use a goat down there. All the mexican celebrations I have ever went to where in the United States and they may just have a hard time finding a goat to put in the pit :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I like goatsmilk cheese, but forget eating the animal! They are too cute to eat! So are lambs! ..

:
:
Welcome to the gulag!
Please use plain text.
ddash3
Community Member

Hi, Folks,

So this is where ya'all are hanging out, eh? Don't know if you eat sweet corn on the cob out West, but we do here in the East and Old West. Only the prices are through the roof this summer. Same with all food products made with corn as an ingredient. The soft drinks Siggy mentioned are almost entirely made of corn sweetener and water. Seems the demand for corn has skyrocketed of late. We may have to go back to potatoes!
Please use plain text.
ddash3
Community Member

Ceril,

So we're waiting for a review of the luau pig dinner in the Hawaiian restaurant. Did it meet your expectations?

ddash3
Please use plain text.
Community Member

well ddash3 going back to potatoes would be good news for this area then, I'm in potato country here, Idaho even has license plates with a picture of a potato on it LOL.
And yes, we DO eat corn on the cob, I love 'em with lots of butter. There are many cornfields around the pacific northwest as well, my ex-inlaws are farmers (corn and wheat). Another reason why there is such a high demand for corn is the influx of ethanol producing plants around the country. Everyone is hollering for alternate fuel sources.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

they need to stop putting high fructose corn sweetener in everything!It's not good for growing children. Read what Gabe Mirkin has to say about it (you can google it probably) it's a scary article! ..

:
:
Welcome to the gulag!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Some schools here have pulled out pop machines from their hallways and removed sugary drinks from their breakfasts and lunches. Many parents still need to follow that lead and restrict the amount of that stuff that their kids consume. It's hard to get kids excited about drinking water but natural juices and milk are definitely better alternatives.
Please use plain text.
ddash3
Community Member

OCD and Siggy (and anyone else of course), I agree with you both that high-fructose corn sweeteners and any kind of sugars or sugar substitutes are bad news for growing and no-longer-growing bodies. True, the synthetics like aspartame and sucralose contain no caloric content the body can use, that much is true, but they send the same dangerous signals to the body's endocrine system that cause early type II diabetes and other health problems. The only noncaloric sweetener I trust at all is called stevia. It is a natural plant product originally from Brazil. The FDA, ever the lapdog of big business, is trying to hinder the adoption of stevia as a sweetener since it is a natural product and thus not lucrative. FDA commissioners and scientists all have fat (and undisclosed) stock portfolios from Big Pharma and the food industry that they would fain not see plummet in value.

As to corn for gasohol (ethanol, E10, E85, whatever you choose to call it), yes, the diversion of farming and industrial resources to the production of automotive fuel is driving up the price of food and fuel. It's feel-good legislation only. Sort of like putting a Band Aid on a hemorrhage. Most older cars will see a 15% or greater drop in fuel mileage from the use of ethanol in their gasoline. Late-model cars specifically designed to use E10 fuel may see only about a 3% drop in mileage, but a drop nonetheless. But that leaves most of us out. Worse yet, corn for ethanol production is costly to produce. It takes tons and tons of diesel fuel to grow and transport the corn to ethanol plants and process it there, not to mention boatloads of crude oil to manufacture the needed fertilizers. Up to now the U.S. government has been subsidizing this gigantic agri-business rip-off of the American economy. U.S. taxpayers pay triply -- at the pump, out of our payroll tax deductions and in rising food prices -- for the warm and fuzzy illusion of "reducing our dependence on foreign oil" and "saving the environment." The use of ethanol accomplishes neither of those objectives. It only worsens the situation. It's good for farmers' and businessmen's pockets, but that is all. Feel good, be worse. Oh, I failed to mention that ethanol is hard on engines, except for those specifically designed for it, especially on the smaller engines used in motorcycles, scooters, lawn mowers, chain saws, ATVs and the like. Mechanics are facing a plague of engines damaged or destroyed by ethanol. Is it any wonder the FAA forbids the use of ethanol in any amount in aircraft engines?

OK. last two rants. I promise. I'm burning my soap box tonight for warmth.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

LOL feel free to let loose in here, that's what Ceril opened this thread for, so we can freely express our opinions about anything and everything without being restricted by the threat topic.

I totally agree with you ddash3 about the reason why everything is going up from fuel to food to well, EVERYTHING. It's a chain reaction. I didn't really know about the adverse effect ethanol has on engines not made for it. I don't drive but my daughter has a fairly fuel efficient car that she puts regular unleaded in (she goes for the cheapest gas, I assume like most people do). I'm glad the FAA forbids the use of ethanol in aircraft fuel, could you imagine planes dropping out of the sky because of massive engine failure? *shudder*
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Alas, the Hawaiian restaurant wasn't that good. Four of us got pork of some variety and it was sort of dry. Tasty, but dry. Guess that's why we all had Mai Tais, too!

I have to confess I love to eat meat. Here in the San Francisco Bay area, I don't seem to fit in very well in that respect. I'm a California native, though--go figure.

I'm a big fan of bar-b-qued corn on the cob. Last year in Illinois while visiting in-laws, we were surrounded by cornfields and not a single ear was served. Someone told us that the stuff all around us was not for eatin'. Hmmm. Maybe ethanol explains that. I got to see the first fire-flies I've ever seen, though, so all was not lost!

Ceril
Please use plain text.