eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

HOW DO I CHANGE THE TIMEZONE?

The time stamp on everything is Pacific and I'm Mountain. Is it possible to change? And how/where do I change it?

t~
Please use plain text.
sadiesshop615
Community Member

Re: HOW DO I CHANGE THE TIMEZONE? Posted at 21:10 PDT

in reply to welldeservedluxury

Hi welldeservedluxury,

To change the time displayed on the eBay Discussion Forums,

click on the Preferences link under My Content section,

and choose time zone on Preferences page...

To change time displayed on My eBay, item-listing start-times,

end-times, etc....???

Did not see the option anywhere on user-account site-prefs...

(These times are ALWAYS shown as Pacific Time / "Official" eBay Time...).

http://viv.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EbayTime

Forum Prefs link SCREENCAP:

glenda
Community Member

Re: HOW DO I CHANGE THE TIMEZONE?

HI welldeservedluxury

It is not possible to change the timezone on eBay (except on the boards, as detailed above).

ebay.com is based on the Pacific time zone because that's where eBay corporate headquarters are.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What difference does it make where eBay headquarters is?

That may be a good reason to use Pacific Time as their internal system time, but it's no excuse for inconveniencing customers in other time zones.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

How "inconvenient" is it to simply add or subtract 1-2-3-4 hours to the time shown in the listing?

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

How "inconvenient" is it to simply add or subtract 1-2-3-4 hours to the time shown in the listing?

For every listing, every day, when every site worth a $$$ allows the user to select the time zone in their profile setup, and then displays all times using that selected time zone?

Very inconvenient. If one bidder misses one of my auctions because they had to calculate the end time, and added wrong, that's money taken from my pocket. The programming is trivial. Why they didn't add this feature years ago is beyond me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I don't even pay attention to what time the auction is ending. I pay attention to what's after it, the time remaining. If the auction has 3 days 21  hours and 6 minutes and 29 seconds left, that means no matter what time zone i'm in or the a person halfway around the world from me, it ends in 3 days 21 hours 6 minutes and 29 seconds. No need to convert to your time zone and take a chance of screwing it up.

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

I don't even pay attention to what time the auction is ending. I pay attention to what's after it, the time remaining. If the auction has 3 days 21  hours and 6 minutes and 29 seconds left, that means no matter what time zone i'm in or the a person halfway around the world from me, it ends in 3 days 21 hours 6 minutes and 29 seconds. No need to convert to your time zone and take a chance of screwing it up.

Anyone who can incorrectly do a time zone adjustment (and lots of people can) is even more likely to incorrectly calculate the ending time based on "time remaining". And it's the ending time that we want to know. If someone wants to bid at the end of an auction, they don't say, "I need to come back in 3 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 29 seconds".

So you look at the time remaining; okay, what exactly do you do with that information?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

another reason for time zone change option!!!! 

when i search for an object and a list shows up it tells me items have ended as i'm in est yet the items are based on pst. THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The ridiculous thing is, if you look at the listings from the eBay iPhone app it puts the end time based on your current time zone. Why does it work better on an app than the actual site?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

C'mon eBay, give us local time!!

Just 1 lousy line of javascript code.

Don't believe this.

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

C'mon eBay, give us local time!!

Just 1 lousy line of javascript code.

Don't believe this.

There are people who post on these boards who believe that adding a time zone setting to the user profile would slow the system to a crawl because "so many things on the listing and bid history page" would have to be customized for each viewer.

But the folks who host the Discussion boards can adjust the time stamp on every single post based on my profile. And eBay can adjust the delivery date estimates on every single listing based on my zip code.

There's no excuse for making people do arithmetic to figure out the time an auction ends.

Please use plain text.
icehockey4me
Community Member

Exactly I think my days here are number I know I do not sell a ton of stuff here, but these small things have added up to me be very unhappy with eBay. The only reason I do not sell more things is because of the screwy things eBay does like this.Like the 2-3 months that eBay tried to force me to ship international. Every new listing and every time I revised an item it would change my international shipping. I have never offered international shipping.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It is not the object of the eBay programming staff to make it easy, convenient, understandable, clear, simple, and ...... for the user.  Please do not interrupt them.  It is their job to keep busy and create more work for the future.  Confusion is their job security.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I live in Australia and I still can't show the local time here for auctions and I often buy from the States.  It's incredibly frustrating as I'm actually a day ahead as well as several hours difference in time and I often buy from overseas.

Please use plain text.
sadiesshop615
Community Member

I live in Australia and I still can't show the local time here for auctions and I often buy from the States.  It's incredibly frustrating as I'm actually a day ahead as well as several hours difference in time and I often buy from overseas.

Perhaps this Time-Zone calculation site might help:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Select a city / country from the drop-down menus to

see what the time is there...

As of this posting, it's 7 minutes past...

22:00 / 10:00PM in Melbourne, AU

06:00 / 6:00 AM in New York, NY - USA

03:00 / 3:00 AM in San Jose, CA - USA ***eBay***HQ***

Saturday 15-Dec-2012

Yeah, very smart, never thought of that... all my problem was I could not add 1+1...But if we're going to use a "global" time, then maybe GMT is more appropriate?

Seriously now, allowing this would mean a different time shows up when someone is not logged in... could be confusing, although this could be easily resolved as well. In my oppinion the "customer oriented" approach would be to customize to the timezone of the user, not the other way arround. I DON'T CARE what time the CEO of ebay has his watch tuned in. ebay is supposed to serve ME, I have no obligation to serve ebay... otherwise they should offer their services for free...

Please use plain text.
sadiesshop615
Community Member

Seriously now, allowing this would mean a different time shows up when someone is not logged in... could be confusing, although this could be easily resolved as well. In my oppinion the "customer oriented" approach would be to customize to the timezone of the user, not the other way arround....

Though IDEAL in THEORY,

could prove UNRELIABLE in PRACTICE...

(Even custom Discussion Forums local time-zone prefs don't always remain set;

Much worse if this were to occur w/ eBay Listings / sales pages / e-commerce).

I'm actually shocked that this is even an issue.

You're site is based on a world-wide user base and you force the world to work to your time zone when 2 lines of javascript would fix the problem?!

Anyone arguing in defense of EBay in this matter has to work for them or have a friend that works for them cuase this is about as close to a no-brainer as it gets....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Couldn't agree with you more. If anyone has the development capacity and knowledge of a few lines of code, it's ebay. They just don't care enough - that's the issue, and the issue with a lot of other companies - not caring enough

We do after all hope that forums like this raise customer issues strong enough that someone with authority in the company can tell one of the developers to do it.. Sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesn't.

I've wanted to see my time zone for a long time. When it gets high enough on their priority list, it'll be implemented.

Please use plain text.