eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
polestar_enterprises
Community Member

Thrift Store/Garage Sale Finds

The thread to post any nice completed auctions for finds you made at a TS or GS, or a find that you were thrilled to add to your own collection as well.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Thrift Store/Garage Sale Finds

in reply to polestar_enterprises
Ok I'll go first with the Dylan TMOQ Totals

The three that sold this week are:
Bob Dylan "WHILE THE ESTABLISHMENT BURNS" GWW $41.00
Bob Dylan "TALKIN' BEAR MT. MASSACRE PICNIC BLUES" $67.00
Bob Dylan "STEALIN" $34.87=$142
Now one of last weeks winners enquired If I had others so we struck a deal for 5 of 6 of the remaining that I have for $167+ last weeks winners for $140=$450 so far with one left to sell this week Not to shabby for a $12 investment

Photobucket

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this stuff, but it helps........The Official Queen of the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Near-mint condition of Beatles butcher cover LP found at record show for $20, someone had drawn ink mustaches on each of the Beatles. I re-sold it to a guy for $125, he was able to get the ink off of it(recipe?), and he re-sold it for $375.

Recent find at a high end jazz on vinyl shop: in their dollar bins I found an autographed ClarkTerry LP, worth $29-139...
Please use plain text.
2007ckirby
Community Member

Love, love, love to find LP's and 45's at yard sales and thrift shops! Scored three LP's in very nice condition at a yard sale about a month ago, and started a thread on one of them asking about ink removal.

Annette at Bikini Beach (a bit of ink in the corner of both sides)
Soundtrack of 007 Thunderball
Ricky by Ricky Nelson

I am not a seller, but collect records for our son, who loves getting them for Christmas presents. He has an awesome collection (mostly found and bought by me). Has been collecting now for several years.
Please use plain text.
2007ckirby
Community Member

Sure wish I could find the Butcher Album for him!! :_| He would go positively ape!!
Please use plain text.
pantherboy2
Community Member

An Annette record for a gift is a really cute idea. Especially if she's wearing a bathing suit. :8}
Please use plain text.
2007ckirby
Community Member

She is, although it's a one-piece, not a bikini.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Wow, that is a great Beatles LP story. I wish I knew how to get ink off of stuff. I find stuff at yard sales or what have you and then there is ink all over it. Dates, details, names. It can be annoying.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Near-mint condition of Beatles butcher cover LP found at record show for $20,

Beat this:
I found a REAL original Stereo "Introducing The Beatles" title back on VJ for $5 at a flea market. Sold it 10 years later here on eBay for $800.00.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

On sept 20 Avenueplayer mentioned that with my luck that I'd find a Butcher Yesterday & Today, on my very next shopping day the 22nd., I walk into one of my fav. thrifts, and on the shelf in the "collectibles'" section is a Y&T.This one was a 3rd pressing Mono and in VG/VG+ condition for $11, I passed, the only other thing of signifiance this week was a sealed copy of "The Best of Canned Heat", and a Hoagy Carmichael Lp for ME!, and as always more movies.

Photobucket

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this stuff, but it helps........The Official Queen of the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
Please use plain text.
damned_disciple
Community Member

I've found some real good stuff here & there, I'm interested in mostly obscure punk stuff, so I won't bore you guys. ;-)

Most of it I keep or trade, but one of the best that I found was a test pressing LP with "Motorhead" written on the blank white sleeve, for a dollar. Went home & played it, it was their "No Sleep Til Hammersmith" LP. That was one of the first things I ever sold here, got like $75 I think. Not bad for a dollar investment.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

If it sells, I will have a good one to tell about.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Smoke on the Water No. 2?????

Found this at a thrift store yesterday, so does this make Deep Purples' #3????
I actually picked this up to look at because of the flip side has "Hot Rod Race" which I thought might be a late 50's early 60's 78 of some surf music, but when I turned it over it said to me....."You Must Buy This" if for no other reason than the novelty of it. The record is cracked from edge to within 1/2 " of the centre, so I'm not gonna risk my stylus on my 78 player for it. Any one seen this record before????

I can just Imagine Dum,,, Dum,,,Dummmmm, Dum,..Dum Da Dum on an accordian or something.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
polestar_enterprises
Community Member

:-D Definitely a different song, I'm sure my dad heard it plenty when he was in the Navy during WWII. He was very popular in his day, though, so probably common though lutonium or pantherboy would certainly know better than me.
Please use plain text.
pantherboy2
Community Member

Aw shucks...:8}

"Hot Rod Race" was popularized by Tiny Hill (not the original) and was revitalized by Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen in the 1970's. It amazes me that back in the day (1940's) an artist could have a 'hit' song on the charts, and several other artists could be competing with the same song at the same time.

I probably have this somewhere, but it would take me months to find it...

Julianne - don't you have a 'backup' stylus? I keep a worn one on hand for just such an occasion, when I want to play a cracked or warped disc. You can make it playable by setting it on a flat surface, and using a small piece of scotch tape on the outer edge to hold the crack tight. And while playing, I'd place it on top of another flat disc to retain the tightness of the crack.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Aw shucks...:8}

Julianne - don't you have a 'backup' stylus? I keep a worn one on hand for just such an occasion, when I want to play a cracked or warped disc. You can make it playable by setting it on a flat surface, and using a small piece of scotch tape on the outer edge to hold the crack tight. And while playing, I'd place it on top of another flat disc to retain the tightness of the crack.

Hell I'm lucky to have dedicated turntable for 78's let alone a Back-up stylus, my personal collection of 78's number less the 2 dozen, all of which have been downloaded to CD or recorded to tape.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I had a useful Craigslist score yesterday. Some young kid with some good taste put up a crate of 60 CDs for $30. Lots of decent indie stuff and a few old country titles. I managed to fill in the holes in my Spacemen 3/Sonic Boom collection for 50 cents a pop. There were a few CDRs in the mix which happened to be My Bloody Valentine and Whiskeytown bootlegs, but hey, I'm not complaining B-)

Even the stuff I didn't really need can probably still sell used in the 4-8 dollar range.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I might as well pitch in my best thrift store finds:

1. Quad -ESL 57 with consecutive serial numbers for $70. They were priced for a pair, but the desk clerk wanted $70 "for each radiator".

2. An album with Icelandic group Svanfridur which I payed $5 for. Sold it for $968.

3. Today I found a Fisher Direct Drive Turntable with decent pick-up. Had to fork out $12.

"So it goes" Kurt Vonnegut.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well this week hasn't been as good as the last few but, there were a few worth noting

2 More TMOQ's
1.)The Band "Down South 1974" still sealed
2.) Moody Blues "Answer to the Mystery of Life"

2 Beatles White Lp's

The Eyes of the Beacon Street Union

Historic Dead

Free Fire and Water, Korean, Chinese, Japanese ???

Kinks Grandes Exitos Vol II Made in Mexico

Rory Gallagher self titled WLP
and
Jimi Hendrix 2 lp set called The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
and some Savoy Brown, Neil Young, James Gang & RB's Rainbow.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
polestar_enterprises
Community Member

Rory Gallagher self titled WLP

B-)
Please use plain text.