• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Questions Here

Hello,

Welcome to the Music & Musicians Board!

Just to make answering your questions easier to get you a quick answer. This thread was started as to relieve the confusion. So post your question, and check back from time to time to see if you have an answer.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
bump
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Questions Here

in reply to dlej8755
i see your bump, and raise you a bump
<<center>

it doesn't take a genius to figure this s#!t out, but it helps
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Whats my record worth ???

Like most things on Ebay it worth only what somebody else is willing to pay.

The advent of Ebay has made "worth" a more transparent thing to see than it used to be and if your looking to sell it on Ebay , which 99% of people who ask this question are, then the "Completed section" on Ebay is your best friend , this is where you will learn what it actually did fetch as apposed to some-one telling you what it should fetch.

Remember the condition of the LP is GOD and just because you have , say, an LP of Sgt Pepper does not mean it will be like the millions of other Sgt Peppers out there ...There are a miriad of diffrent "editions" of this LP out there and its the detail that people are willing to pay big money for ....confused??

Ok, let me explain, your Sgt Pepper looks like everybody elses because its got the same picture on the cover ...right? ....No ..... actually there can be 100's permitations of this LP that have been released over the years ....

Is it a USA copy ? ...Is it a UK copy? ..Is it Canadian ? is it Indian? ...or any other countries issue?? ...Is it original??? ...or a 1st / 2nd / 3rd etc pressing , is it Mono or Stereo? ...has it got a factory mistake on the record , has it got all the "bits" that it came out with??.....the permitation list is endless.

Now dont let that fighten you , but if you can list as much detail as you can think of before just asking "Ive got a record ..Whats it worth?" then this will enable people to help you as quick as possible .....

Unfortunatly(?)for you record collectors can be an anal bunch ;-)with their hobby and the value is in the detail , its the detail that we pay for , and the more detail you can give us the more we are able to help you sell your record for $100 rather than the $10 it may only go for when you omit a crutial point of sale in your description.

Good Luck
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Just be careful with that Completed Auctions thing. Th eprices a record will bring can be vary different from week to week, even day to day. It all depends on who's looking that particular day. I had a 78RPM SUn copy of Jerry Lee LEwis graded V- sell for $60. The buyer was unhappy with it so I had him return it. I put the record away and found it a year later. I relisted the same record and downgraded it to G+ and the item brought $120. Is it worth $60 or $120? If you have that record should you expect to see $120? You may even have one in better condition not sell for $100. It all depends.

A good price guide will give you an idea of what a record should sell for in approximation. MOst price guides will tell you that in Mint condition many records are worth $4. That is wishful thinking. BEcause of gougers who overcharge for shipping, buyers generally pay on average $5 to have a record shipped. If that is the case, is someone going to pay $4 + $5 shipping for a $4 record? The answer is no. Keep that in mind when you are listing your records.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
this is where you will learn what it actually did fetch as apposed to some-one telling you what it should fetch.

Lutonium ...I take your point thats why I quantified it in my original paragraph , at the end of the day most of the questionaires on this board are looking to sell their record next week/month.

And I stand by point for most of the time the simplest answer to those questions is to check the completed section.

We could argue between ourselfs until we are blue in face over wether "X" record is worth as much as it sold for or thats its worth more.....thats irrelevent to what we are trying to achieve here.

Most people want a simple answer of "is my record worth $1/$5/$10/$100/$1000 ?" ...and pointing them towards the completed section is probably as good as place to look than any "educated" (?) sumisary guesswork however well intended.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Here's a What's My Record worth question.
I see several (9 currently) Ray Charles/Starbucks "Box of Genius" CD sets up for sale, but not ONE of them seems to have the Starbucks card that came in it.
What is the value of a COMPLETE CD Box Set worth, give or take $5? Previously opened, w/devalued Starbucks card (tho unregistered at Starbucks.com)?
Unopened?
Curious, as I have been hearing different things from different folks.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Please forgive my ignorance. Where does one find the "Completed Section"?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
You can access the completed auctions on the left side of of a page after doing a search for specific or catagory eBay items. It is a box that is selected. You will be asked to sign in again. Sorry if this isn't very clear, but if you give it a try, you will find it.

Try doing a search for Beatles. After it brings up the Beatles auctions, look down along the left side of that page. Check completed items, and search. That should do it.

LOL I need more coffee this morning.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
What would a one of a Kind album Miss Print Like Fleetwood Mac Rumors cover and on side ONE and CREAM Disraeli Gears on side two printed in 1977 Warner bros with the shrink rap still on it and vinyl is in good condition what would you sell it for
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
janitwhite, I don't think anyone can give you a specific value to your record. If there were 2 or more bidders who felt they just had to have it, it might bring a fairly decent price. But at the same time, if the right people didn't see it, it might not even sell.

By the way, by record grading standards, good condition is a record that is pretty trashed. Kinda weird ain't it.B-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
O.K. I've got one for you. It's a red label RCA Victor album from 1943, it's Beethovens symphony #2 in D major. On the back there is no music just kind of a spider web design and the words RCA Victor with the dog logo. It comes in a jacketed set with four other albums. What's it worth?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Blueandy: Sounds like a 78 set to me. The printing ont he back side does not really add to the value. Victor started doing this around 1918 as far as I can tell. they only did it on Red Seal records. Selling a classical or operatic set depends on who the artist is for the most part. The better Victor record sets for classical are the scroll label sets. If you do a search for Victor Scroll on Ebay you will find some pictures to match and see if you have a scroll set. I have seen scroll sets go anywhere from $10 to $200 depending on artist and condition.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
What I'm talking about is totally different than the scroll. the back of the album has been pressed with as many as 25 or so 1 inch or a little bigger spider web designs and has the RCA dog logo. If I knew how to post a picture here I would.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
I understand that is what is ojn the back. As I stated, they (Victor) started doing that quite some time prior to the merger with RCA. IMO it does not add any significant value to the set as this is the way it would have been released. Again, the value is going to come from condition and performance, not the back design.
Please use plain text.
pantherboy2
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Those back designs are really cool (I have a few) and I agree with Lutonium. The spiffy back (which was often used when a set was complete with an odd number of sides) may add to the interest in your record, but Lutonium's point is that the era of issue will be more of an indicator of collector interest. Spiffy photos of your spiffy backside will certainly entice a potential buyer, though! :-p
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
I have an old record. It is:
Colombia Masterwork Records
Long Playing Microgroove
Beethoven:
Symphoni no. 7
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Eugene Ormandy
ML 4011
Nonbreakable

Is it just for landfill?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
It is actually part of a record set. the record set carries little value when complete. An individual record from that set would probably do poorly.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Hi, I have a Miss Lavell on a Duke label, promotional copy 382 . 45 rpm. It has Everybody's Got Somebody (Malone/White/Shakesnider) Don Music Co., UV 7174 on one side. It has, The Best Part of Me (Malone/White/Capie) Don Music Co. - UV 7175 on the other.
I'd first like to ask, if you know of any good sites, where I can go to learn grading.
Second, I would like to know if anyone knows an approximate value.

I've listed it, 4732346541, to the best of my ability. If anyone can help me to give a better listing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Hippie 1
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
I have a copy of Neil Young's very first recording - The Squires 7" 45 rpm single, on V Records, featuring the songs, "Aurora", and "The Sultan". It is Neil Young's first record, made back in 1963, when he was age 18. This is a very rare single, with valid provenance. There are less than 10 copies known to exist today, and thought to be in the best condition of any of those copies. It rarely if ever, comes on the collector market and available to buy. The record is in VG++ condition. Ultimately, my belief is that the record is simply worth what "the market will bear". I believe Goldmine had one listed about 10 years ago at $1500.00. in its current condition. I am ready to sell it - and would appreciate any thoughts from the music freaks on these boards. Ideas?, Comments? Thanks.
Please use plain text.