eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

allen4444
Community Member

Re: Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Thanks you and quandry

in reply to buybara

Hm, well, you seem to be asking about something completely different than what's the value of the records you're posting.  Do old coots browse vinyl?  Well I do, and others must too, because vinyl is sold on ebay every few seconds, and there are still second hand record stores around, even if they make their money on DVDs or other things.

As for your personal situation, and whether you should hang on to your collections, what do you expect me to say about that to a stranger?

As for the records, at first glance I didn't think they looked like they were from the 50s, but it turns out I'm wrong.  You can find a few records on that label at discogs and 45cat, which identify it as a 50s label.  As before, I can't confirm value, but I'll say Bull Moose Jackson is a name I haven't heard in a while.  He was a major R&B artist.  There may be some value in that one, at least.

buybara
Community Member

Re: Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Thanks you and quandry

in reply to buybara

Thank you!   I appreciate your answer figure its silly to list it, seeing you don't know. Probably no old coots browse old vinyl, and what's the chance of  "AHAH there's that record! What a **bleep**in find!"  Also have six 45's marked ENCINO Records, could not find label, figured label is from LA  Ca area. Maybe should list all these oddball '50s in one lot aimed at old people :smileyhappy: -Way past the time to get rid of my"'precious" silly stuff , no family interested, but stubborn. So just hit that theres a the real question here.   I hang on to much stuff  wanting it-,  the book, record, old whatever to "have a good home', --do you think it best to stop thinking that way &  dump?~!   Thank you!

encino 6 re4cords frtont diskis.jpg
allen4444
Community Member

Re: Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Questions Here

in reply to buybara

Hi Buybara, sorry you didn't get an answer to your question.  I haven't heard of this record before, but just went to Youtube to hear it.  One of them has a comment in the replies or description that mentions first pressings are credited to "George and Louis", later ones changed the spelling to "Lewis".  Most copies picture on YT have the Lewis spelling, so yours could have more value if it's rarer and the original press.  That's all I can offer.

buybara
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755
Hellos, I have slew of offbeat old vinyl, like old WWI records from europe, Spiro just Speaks...sheesh ridiculous...anyhow, Curious about '45 that used Jerry Lee Lewis sound clips "The Return of Jerry Lee".  It was  distributed as gag record by Sun Label, sorta recall lewis's own guys were mad about his eloping with young cousin & neg publicity, approx. mid-1950's.  it's been played, was very popular for a very short time... tried to find value to sell but gave up.  
                          Thank You much.   Buybara aka Barbara
Attachments:
the return of Jerry Lee pro2.jpg
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Cool...

allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

If anyone is reading this as a locked thread: A request has been made to have this topic copied to a new Music & Musicians ebay group, which can be found here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Music-Musicians/gp-p/MusicMusicians

mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Thank you again Allen.  That was a huge help!

allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

MM-589 is the number for the whole set.  Every side will have this number.  This is the number you will use to look it up, and also the number you should quote when selling.  The extra number "4" means side 4.

Each disc in the set also has its own number, in this case 12222-D, and each side also has its own number, in this case XCO-34705.  These are not important.

Typing "Columbia Masterworks MM 589" into Google Search turned up a few pages listing it.

mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

Can you tell me exactly what the numbers mean on this label?  I'm new to "records" so pretend I don't know a thing (because I don't) and walk me through it.  I couldn't find anything on Discog relating to this particular album.

MM589-4

12222-D

(XCO 34705)

DSCN3838.JPG

mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Thank you very much Allen.  I will do that.

allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

This is a 78 rpm set, and is usually referred to as "shellac" rather than "vinyl".

(You may have known that, but you didn't say it, so I did!)

Yes, there is a market for them.

These records are quite fragile, though.

You'll have to pack it very well to send it though the mail.

To date records like this, I suggest looking at discogs.com, by label name.  Even if you can't find your particular record, or it's there but undated,  you can look at other records from around the same catalogue number and estimate the date.  If you can't find it on discogs, there are other websites that cover 78 rpm catalogues, so a google search may help you locate it.

mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

Here's another picture of one of the labels:

DSCN3837.JPG

mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

I'm about to undertake selling LPs and 78s from our private collection, and thought I'd post a little here in hopes of getting some good feedback and advice.  For starters, I have a 6 record collection of Bruno Walter conducting the Philharmonic symphony Orchestra of New York, Gustav Mahler:  Syumphony No. 4.  The album is coming apart at the side seam.  There are no dates on any of the records or inside of album, but I believe this dates to about 1950 and maybe before.  The records are very heavy, so I know they aren't plastic.  I will try to attach a picture.

I would like to know if there is a market for this kind of old symphony classical music, since I have others.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated.DSCN3836.JPG

allen4444
Community Member

in reply to richardm9874

DJ interview discs are hard to value.  Some sellers ask a lot for them, and sometimes get it.  But unless it's a big celebrity like Elvis or a Beatle, a rare interview disc often sells for around the price of a normal album, especially if it's just talk with no unreleased live music.

Re. "Some Girls", you can find many copies of the original cover right now on ebay.  Prices do not seem to be much higher than the revised cover.  I think the original may have been in print for at least half a year, in which case a significant percentage of copies in existence would have the original cover.

richardm9874
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Hello,

Great thread, glad I came across it. I have a couple quick questions about some rare LP's that I have in my collection.

1) Yes Music - An Evening With Jon Anderson "Superstar Radio Network Presents - Promotion Not For Sale" Atlantic Records

Interview of Jon Anderson by Sonny Fox complete with pauses for station breaks and created for radio stations I suppose.

The interview was done  discussing the recent rejoining of Rick Wakeman and the release of the 1977 LP "Going For The One".

It is a fantastic interview and a collectible for any Yes fan. I got it from a friend who was a DJ in Los Angeles during that time.

I have never seen another LP like this one and I was wondering if it has any value?

2) Some Girls - The Rolling Stones

This was the early release complete with the movie stars on the sliding sleeve. "Marilyn, Lucy & Desi, Farrah etc.."

They pulled these pretty quickly for lawsuits I suppose and replaced them with omitted spots. Any value for this LP?

Thanks again for any opinions and feedback regarding these two albums.

allen4444
Community Member

in reply to tombinjiya

Your roman numerals date is 1961.  I have no idea what the record is.  Advertising, maybe?

Community Member

in reply to tombinjiya

Hey, Thanks. Took forever to load but it was there. Dissapointed in the price but , what it is is what it is.

Darell

Community Member

in reply to pdforme123

not sure if we can post links on here but i found  something about that oscar lp if this helps? http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/150376854296/OSCAR_LEVANT_PLAYS_LISZT_LP_VERY_RARE_EXM

Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

Hi, I used to only sell records on ebay, moved on to just books couple years ago. Still pick up "buys" and stash for a later date. I find one sale for my recent find but have to join "worth .... " to find out the price, so help! Oscar Levant Plays Liszt on Columbia Masterworls gray "6 eye' label # ML 5094, cover VG+ or better, visual inspection only VG- on LP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Community Member

in reply to allen4444

its called luck is no lady  its about the size of a 45rpm record but its a 33 1/2 speed and i think its from 1968   it says elba systems corporation  denver coloardo 80207 copyright MCMLXI