Re: Post Your 'What's My Record Worth?" Questions Here

in reply to allen4444

Cool...

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

If anyone is reading this as a locked thread: A request has been made to have this topic copied to a new Music & Musicians ebay group, which can be found here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Music-Musicians/gp-p/MusicMusicians

Please use plain text.
mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Thank you again Allen.  That was a huge help!

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

MM-589 is the number for the whole set.  Every side will have this number.  This is the number you will use to look it up, and also the number you should quote when selling.  The extra number "4" means side 4.

Each disc in the set also has its own number, in this case 12222-D, and each side also has its own number, in this case XCO-34705.  These are not important.

Typing "Columbia Masterworks MM 589" into Google Search turned up a few pages listing it.

Please use plain text.
mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

Can you tell me exactly what the numbers mean on this label?  I'm new to "records" so pretend I don't know a thing (because I don't) and walk me through it.  I couldn't find anything on Discog relating to this particular album.

MM589-4

12222-D

(XCO 34705)

DSCN3838.JPG

Please use plain text.
mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Thank you very much Allen.  I will do that.

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to mrgranat42

This is a 78 rpm set, and is usually referred to as "shellac" rather than "vinyl".

(You may have known that, but you didn't say it, so I did!)

Yes, there is a market for them.

These records are quite fragile, though.

You'll have to pack it very well to send it though the mail.

To date records like this, I suggest looking at discogs.com, by label name.  Even if you can't find your particular record, or it's there but undated,  you can look at other records from around the same catalogue number and estimate the date.  If you can't find it on discogs, there are other websites that cover 78 rpm catalogues, so a google search may help you locate it.

Please use plain text.
mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

Here's another picture of one of the labels:

DSCN3837.JPG

Please use plain text.
mrgranat42
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

I'm about to undertake selling LPs and 78s from our private collection, and thought I'd post a little here in hopes of getting some good feedback and advice.  For starters, I have a 6 record collection of Bruno Walter conducting the Philharmonic symphony Orchestra of New York, Gustav Mahler:  Syumphony No. 4.  The album is coming apart at the side seam.  There are no dates on any of the records or inside of album, but I believe this dates to about 1950 and maybe before.  The records are very heavy, so I know they aren't plastic.  I will try to attach a picture.

I would like to know if there is a market for this kind of old symphony classical music, since I have others.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated.DSCN3836.JPG

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to richardm9874

DJ interview discs are hard to value.  Some sellers ask a lot for them, and sometimes get it.  But unless it's a big celebrity like Elvis or a Beatle, a rare interview disc often sells for around the price of a normal album, especially if it's just talk with no unreleased live music.

Re. "Some Girls", you can find many copies of the original cover right now on ebay.  Prices do not seem to be much higher than the revised cover.  I think the original may have been in print for at least half a year, in which case a significant percentage of copies in existence would have the original cover.

Please use plain text.
richardm9874
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

Hello,

Great thread, glad I came across it. I have a couple quick questions about some rare LP's that I have in my collection.

1) Yes Music - An Evening With Jon Anderson "Superstar Radio Network Presents - Promotion Not For Sale" Atlantic Records

Interview of Jon Anderson by Sonny Fox complete with pauses for station breaks and created for radio stations I suppose.

The interview was done  discussing the recent rejoining of Rick Wakeman and the release of the 1977 LP "Going For The One".

It is a fantastic interview and a collectible for any Yes fan. I got it from a friend who was a DJ in Los Angeles during that time.

I have never seen another LP like this one and I was wondering if it has any value?

2) Some Girls - The Rolling Stones

This was the early release complete with the movie stars on the sliding sleeve. "Marilyn, Lucy & Desi, Farrah etc.."

They pulled these pretty quickly for lawsuits I suppose and replaced them with omitted spots. Any value for this LP?

Thanks again for any opinions and feedback regarding these two albums.

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to tombinjiya

Your roman numerals date is 1961.  I have no idea what the record is.  Advertising, maybe?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tombinjiya

Hey, Thanks. Took forever to load but it was there. Dissapointed in the price but , what it is is what it is.

Darell

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pdforme123

not sure if we can post links on here but i found  something about that oscar lp if this helps? http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/150376854296/OSCAR_LEVANT_PLAYS_LISZT_LP_VERY_RARE_EXM

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dlej8755

Hi, I used to only sell records on ebay, moved on to just books couple years ago. Still pick up "buys" and stash for a later date. I find one sale for my recent find but have to join "worth .... " to find out the price, so help! Oscar Levant Plays Liszt on Columbia Masterworls gray "6 eye' label # ML 5094, cover VG+ or better, visual inspection only VG- on LP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to allen4444

its called luck is no lady  its about the size of a 45rpm record but its a 33 1/2 speed and i think its from 1968   it says elba systems corporation  denver coloardo 80207 copyright MCMLXI

Please use plain text.
allen4444
Community Member

in reply to tombinjiya

Picture is too small to see any detail.  More description please?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to heyjoerekkids

cant seem to find info about this anywhere anyone have any info? 40234.jpg

Please use plain text.
heyjoerekkids
Community Member

in reply to lakaleia

Many times small businesses just don't have the cash to put into a fair offer.  So they offer what they can, and sometimes people take it because they need the money.  Most places I'm aware of get offered boxes of records every day and have limited budgets.  Some stores will take records on consignment, sell them for you and take a cut, usually half.  You can always ask.

First time post for me, but I'll be back.  Good info here.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lakaleia

That is really a very sad story, but for some reason, not surprising. I understand that these small businesses have overhead, rent and what have you, but that offer is not only rediculous; it's insane! You would have better luck here on ebay, selling them one at a time or even craigslist. One single record would probably give you $30! I used to deal with a very fair and reputable dealer here in Las Vegas back in the 1980's and 90's where I did ALL of my buying as well as selling (the days prior to the internet). It was J-Mars Records and the lady's name was Mary. I would spend literally hours in that shop! She was very fair when buying and her prices were quite reasonable. Hard to find people (dealers) like that anymore. She and her husband moved back to Canada sometime around 1996. 

Please use plain text.