• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Need Help with Guitar description

Hi
I hope this is the right forum sorry if its not
I don't know a lot about guitars, I came across this one and have no clue on it. Its older (vintage?) and has stickers on it from its previous owner dating from 70s up until mid 80s.
I haven't tested it yet with my amp, since there is a string come off would it be a good idea? (I have a Fender strat and an Amp from when I was younger (I didn't learn it before I screwed up my hand) but I never had it in less than perfect shape) Any advise on what to use to clean this? up there some sticker gunk on it from decals and a lot of dust.
Thanks in advance for any advise

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Need Help with Guitar description

in reply to blackeyeliner
Funky geetar! It's gotta Dan-elctro vibe going on but I'm really at a loss for the origin.

It looks like someone routed the body and pickguard to install an aftermarket pickup. So, even if you find the origin of manufacture it will be considered modified from original.

I don't like the stickers on the pickguard but the ones on the back of the guitar don't really bother me. Considering it's never gonna be an original collector guitar perhaps those will add to the vintage funky flavor?

To remove the pickguard stickers you could disassemble and soak the plastic in warm water. Lighter fluid is generally a "safe" solvent to use on guitar finishes but always test a small spot someplace out of the way.

Personally, I's leave it ASIS and let the winning bidder decide what to do with the stickers and strings.

goodluck
Please use plain text.
Community Member

BTW - Sure, plug it in and see if the volume, tone controls work and it makes sound without large amounts of hum.

My guess is that it will work but you need to know if you're lsiting it for auction.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

LOOSEN THE STRINGS AND DO THE CLEANING IDEA THAT THE ABOVE USER MENTIONED.DONT SMOKE IF YOUR USING LIGHTER FLUID.LOL.I WOULD CLEAN IT UP.YOU CAN FIND CHEAP CLEANING STUFF AT A LOCAL GUITAR SHOP.MAKE THAT OLD FART SHINE.AS FOR STRINGS...BUY A SET FOR AROUND $5 AND INCLUDE IT IN THE AUCTION.IF I WAS BUYING IT I WOULD PREFER STRINGING IT MYSELF.THAT WAY I CAN CHECK OUT FOR LOOSE PARTS BEFORE POSTING FEEDBACK.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi blackeyeliner... I could be mistaken, but I think it looks like it's possibly a modified Kay guitar from the mid-to-late sixties. You could purchase them from Wards, Sears etc. 'way back when. Anyway, compare it to some of the Kay solid bodies listed.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Wow thanks for all the advice, Im going to get out my amp and try it out. I have to wait till daytime, Im in an apartment and my old tube amp doesn't have much of a quiet setting, and if the guitar does work I want to crank it up high to be sure.

I think I will leave the stickers on the pick guard since the one that is from a car would be a pain to get off. Should I remove the old strings before listing it? The ends of the wire are really sharp and sticking out wildly.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

BTW your right about it being a Kay, I just saw a listing for the same guitar with the same finish (unmodified) this ones definately not AO the pick guard is cut and a different pickup is installed.

It looks like the plate that said kay is removed from it, the last owner put a round label there there centered so perfectly it looks like it belongs that I actually looked at it and wondered why I never heard of inglenook guitars, one of those DUH moments (Its from a wine bottle).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Some folks will disagree but I really wouldn't try to set it up with strings. Maybe put a high "E" string on to avoid the appearance of "broken" and cut the ends of the current strings off to avoid getting poked when handling.

IMO - That would be the best way to represent this unless you really know how to do a nice setup. Let the buyer decide.

The 60's Kay catalog resaler is a good possibility. You will need a better photo of the headstock too for an auction and I would like to see it too.

cu
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello again, blackeyeliner... Speaking of "DUH", I just noticed the rather large "K" inscribed into the body.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi again
I will probably retake a lot of pics when listing it but heres some more. I looked closer and there are definately little tiny holes on the head were the kay logo plate belongs.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

You are doing quite well with the guitar photos and description. This last set of photos and the first full front/back pics should just about do it for a good complete description.

I find myself wanting to see more of the case or at least one shot of it closed up and a little description about latches, hinges, lock, compartments would be nice to.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks, I will definitely re-organize and have case pics in the listing. sorry I stretched out the thread I forgot the BR tag(I really need more sleep)

The case looks pretty generic, its got a small compartment where the neck rests that would be good for storing picks. theres a bit of damage but it really doesn't effect it (other than aesthetically) There are 3 latches on it. Kinda cheap but still pretty dang useful especially with how much new ones cost.

I was able to test it today, (well as much as I could not really knowing how) I'm amazed that something that looks so bad could sound so good, I will have to let my friend who is really good playing a guitar try it to be sure how good it is though.
Its a good thing I waited until daytime to try it my son wandered up to the amp before I plugged it in and turned the volume and reverb all the way up. Man that amp is loud I set back to the 1 setting and its still loud.

I have a dumb question, what is the name of this body style? (I havent researched guitars since I got mine and I knew what I wanted shortly after that I was pretty sour to them once I knew I could never be able to play one)Now Im pretty much bordering on guitar illiterate.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

oops wrong image

Please use plain text.
Community Member

That case will sell the guitar! It's awesome and although cheap for it's day it's a great looking case.

I dunno any specific way to describe this body style. It's not a Tele, Strat or anything common that I know about.

I'm sure it does have a cool tone. The pickup is probably a DiMarrzio and it's safe to call it a humbucker or dual coil in your description.

This would make an awesome blues guitar or perhaps a slide-only setup. I know I will be watching this when it's listed.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for all the great help,
hopefully now with all your great info, I can get a decent description, and get it listed by Wednesday or Thursday (I want to give it another really close inspection first. I can't stand listings that aren't thorough in the descriptions.)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Style: "Unique cut-away solid body"

BTW, I would not mess with any strings on this puppy--advertise it as missing strings and the others are old and will need replacing. Any serious guitar player will want to change strings on a newly purchased instrument anyway.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Need Help with Guitar description

Inglenook guitar? That's hilarious!
Please use plain text.