cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Difficulty Researching This Saxophone......

Hello,

I recently purchased an alto saxophone at an estate auction, and it is marked Tom Brown Music Co. Chicago "ORIOLE" Serial Number 1265-28.  I've been unable to find any information on this.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments.  I appreciate your input.  Photos can be uploaded if needed.  thank you

james

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Tom Brown Music Co. was a Chicago company (ca. 1921-1936) run by Tom Brown (1881-1950), a famous saxophonist and founder of the Six Brown Brothers.  The company, which had at least three stores at one point, marketed several lines of stencil instruments, made by various manufacturers such as H. N. White (King).  The serial numbers I have seen don't correspond to manufacturers' series at the same time, but are particullar to the Tom Brown instruments.  I have a couple of TB saxes that both seem to be made by H. N. White (see photo).

For more details on Tom Brown and the store, check out my book, That Moaning Saxophone: the Six Brown Brothers and the Dawning of a Musical Craze (Oxford University Press, 2004).

Bruce 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This sax in an Elkhart band Instrument Co alto sax made or stenciled for Tom Brown Music Co under its Oriole Brand. The Elkhart Band Instrument Co was a subsidiary of Buescher band Instruments. It was incorprated in 1919. I am working on serial number dating system for Elkhart BIC and the current data suggests that this serial number dates to 1928.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for this information, I got a Tom Brown tenor a few months ago and have been trying to discover the history about it. The case of mine which appears to be original has a sticker saying 'portland music co.' are you aware weather this was one of their shops or weather it was just a random shop that the instrument has passed through over the years?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I have an Alto saxophone that reads "Tom Brown professional made in Cleveland O"
I am trying to authenticate it. can you post more information on this subject?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I have recently purchased and had restored a Tom Brown "Professional" Alto saxophone and that states on it that it was made in Cleveland, Ohio. Both the body and the neck are numbered B 509. After re-padding, it is in good playable condition even with most of its original lacquer, and came in what looks like its original alligator skinned case. I thought that Buescher which Tom had ties with were just in Chicago but we assume that this would probably have been made in the King factory in Cleveland. I have the book about the Brown brothers( That Moaning Saxophone) but have yet to find a reference to these saxophones but Tom Brown probably was linked with his music sales business in Chicago. I do also have an H.N. White /King saxophone yet to restore. I think my Tom Brown alto is probably from the early 1920's. Bob Dyke
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My Tom Brown alto saxophone "Professional" was made in Cleveland , Ohio. It is numbered B 509 on body and neck. Does anyone for sure know the date of their Tom Brown. Collecting the numbers, type and date might give a clue for someone to work it all out! Bob Dyke
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello James,
I have a Tom Brown alto sax in good order numbered B 509. These were probably made by the Buescher with whom Tom Brown had close associations. Mine however does state Cleveland on it and I am not certain if Buescher had a factory there although I believe a bit later they did join up with H.N. White of Cleveland. The Oriole bit I believe lines up with the second act of some of the shows of the time especially in Vaudeville.
There is lots about the Six Brown Brothers in the book "The Moaning Saxophone". I am reading it at present.
The likely date of your instrument is about 1920 to 1924. Bob
Message 8 of 8
latest reply