Community Member

do people still buy vhs tapes?

I have alot i need to get rid of
Please use plain text.
316barri
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
i do! got any good horor movies? or old scifi?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
so do I, it's a habit worse than coke ahem a cola!

Photobucket

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this stuff, but it helps........The Official Queen of the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
If they're not on DVD yet, people often do.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
No they don't, except for a few, very rare tapes, people avoid VHS tapes like the plague.
Please use plain text.
wilsonhepple
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
Not all people avoid them like the plague.
I still buy VHS tapes, especially the 'oldies'.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
But oldies are probably rare?
Please use plain text.
316barri
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
nope, not usually. for example, i just picked up carrie for a buck, plus 3 bucks shipping. i'm a happy camper!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I don't sell a lot of them but they are still worth listing. I have a combination DVD and VHS player and recorder. I use both, I have a lot of old home videos as well as movies. I plan on transferring them to DVD's because they are more durable, but in the mean time I still use my videos. I heard on the news not too long ago that vinyl records were making a comeback maybe VHS will also.

Janie
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
Because they are cheap and people have vcrs and because they tend to like older movies any. :smileyhappy: sunflowerpipes.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
Hi,
I have tons of VHS tapes that I have listed and I have lots more to list. I think the keys are: definitely BIN (forget auction), and keep it cheap. Mine are between $1-3, maybe more for older movies or double sets.

I have older movies, still to list, but I have other more modern movies...do I sell alot, well I sell at least 4-5 a week...

I still enjoy VHS :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I was wondering the same thing - I'm so glad somebody posted this! My hubs and I are trying to scrape together some extra money so that we can start up a bed and breakfast, and decided we could live without our VHS.

I have them posted in lots - do you think that will help them to sell better? I tried to sort them by type/genre - for example, "action" or "family". I also have one set of "Disney/Kids" and one set of Lucille Ball shows.

I just hope they will sell!
Please use plain text.
wilsonhepple
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I posted about this earlier in the month..
Yesterday, I found some Teddy Ruxpin VHS tapes from the early 1980's..
They are for my Grand-daughter, I sent her a Teddy Ruxpin bear a couple of years ago, and she has found an interest in collecting the audio & VHS tapes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
If you want VHS tapes cheap, go to yard sales. You can find them for a song. Average price is 50 cents to $1.00 around here. People are dumping them big time in favor of DVD's.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I don't think VHS is worth listing on eBay. I think the replies on this thread indicate the facts: people who still buy and enjoy VHS expect to get them dirt cheap, and they are very selective of what they buy. Everybody has their own business model and that is fine, but mine wouldn't be listing tapes that I hope I can get $2. After labor and fees, I can't see the upside.

I have sold hundreds of VHS tapes in the past and they are a pain to deal with. I have given boxes of them away. I have thrown boxes of them away.

Regarding people getting back to vinyl LPs: Vinyl doesn't "rot." Magnetic tape does. Many people prefer to listen to music on vinyl because they believe it sounds better. I have never heard anybody say that they they prefer magnetic tape because it looks better.

A better comparison would be VHS to 8 Track tapes.

The best place for VHS is the landfills. Not everybody agrees with me there, but almost everybody does. That's why VHS is a dead format.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I hope no one is dumping VHS tapes in the landfill. If you don't want to be bothered with them donate them to the GoodWill where if they don't sell they can be recycled, I think all of the materials in them are recycable. Not everyone can afford to buy DVD players and tapes but most can find used VHS players cheap at yard sales as well as the tapes. I usually get $5 to $8 for most of my videos sometimes more,as long as they sell I will continue to list them.

Janie
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I don't know about Goodwill. Seems to me that if Goodwill and similar establishments took all the millions of VHS that nobody wants their entire stores would be filled with video tapes. The quantity would drive the price down to practically nothing. The fact of the matter is eventually any VHS tape is going to reach a point where there is no end user. Its either going to be recycled or disposed. The people who are going to maintain libraries or collections of VHS in the future is very, very tiny.

Recycling? I'm not an expert on recycling, but I don't think you can just put tapes on your curb and have them picked up and sent to a recycling plant. I think they have to be sent through the mail to a service that disassembles them so that the separate components are able to be recycled individually. If that's the case reality is that not many people are going to do this. I'm not so sure that doing this would be a net positive for the environment anyway. There is "consumption" involved in sending tapes through the mail and having them disassembled.

Whether it is "worth it or not" to list VHS on Bay, that's easy to find by searching completed auctions for VHS. I just did that and just a few from the first page:

Disney's Jungle Book - 99 cents
All Dog's Go To Heaven (bidding begins at .99) No sale
14 movie lot (bidding begins at 9.99) No sale
Godfather (first) (starting at .99) No sale
Disney's Little Mermaid - 99 cents
Lethal Weapon (begins at .99) No sale

Disney's Deluxe Fantasia: This one originally retailed at around $100. It has the video, a making of video, two CDs, a lithograph, COA, a booklet..... Bidding started at $8.99 - No sale

Its a fact that some videos sale on eBay. The question is is the net return worth it.

I have a soft spot for VHS. I was in the video rental business when it was hot. I sold VHS on eBay after I sold my stores. I watched sell-thru dwindle down until it was more work and expense than return.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
For titles that are available on reasonably-priced dvd, it is not worth it. You might get $1 of $2 per tape, less after fees.

For titles that are unavailable on dvd, tapes can fetch good prices. I sold an old Residents VHS for $20 about 2 months ago.

It's hit and miss though - some titles that aren't on dvd still don't sell for more than $3 or $5, and some don't sell at all. (For example, I can't seem to get rid of my VHS of "Little Noises".) Do your research to see what dvds have been issued of the film, and if none, what the tapes usually sell for.

You can also sometimes also do OK with tapes of titles that are only on dvds that are rare, expensive, and out-of-print. I think this has changed recently, but you used to be able to get decent money for things like the VHS of Hitchcock's "Rebecca" because the dvd was going for upwards of $100.

Otherwise, for most VHS tapes, you're better off with a yard sale than Ebay.
Please use plain text.
coins1948
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
Vinyl records do sound better, especially if you get one from the first press run.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to m***ands****
I love the sound of my vinyls it instantly takes me back to my childhood.

As far as VHS, I buy them for my mom who refuses to upgrade to DVD.
Please use plain text.