eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
pipilo02
Community Member

Who is She?

Anybody know who the lady in the photo is?  It looks like she has signed her name PItty Gordon..the photo has faint photographers marks with what looks like N.Y. and 24 with something above that.  Now that's a hat!  With her signature across the front I thought she may be a former celebrity.  TIA.

5100045601_pittypic 002 (435x640).jpg
Please use plain text.
323*edelman
Community Member

Re: Who is She?

in reply to pipilo02

She probably was a celebrity in her day, but that day has gone by.

I think the first name might be Ruthy.

Please use plain text.
dermaulwurf8
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

I think that might be Kitty Gordon.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/social&CISOPTR=1904&CISOBOX=1&REC=8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Gordon

Please use plain text.
professorplastic
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

I would agree with derm; it's Kitty Gordon. She was a musical comedy star in the theater back in the olden days, but I guess you've made that assertation youself regarding that last part. I have her pictured on several old pieces of sheet music as being credited with introducing certain songs and based on what I have I'd say she was active in the 1910 to 1925 timeframe. So she was a song and dance lady. 

Please use plain text.
pipilo02
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

Thank you Derm and Prof...I'm sure you're right she is Kitty Gordon...I thought at first her name was Kitty but the K is odd looking....and the NY and 24 would fit too if she was a song and dance lady on the stage in the 1920's which her costume fits.

Derm...your photo shows a hat more outlandish than mine!  Love it. thank you again.

Please use plain text.
professorplastic
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

Actually her clothes are not vintage 1920s but about a decade and a half earlier. And the '24' marker on the photo probably does not represent the year 1924, but is a sequence print number applied by the photographer in New York. Also I didn't read that wiki link derm posted, so let me modify what I said and now say, she was active in the 1900-1920 timeframe. If she continued in the theater after that, she certainly didn't wear clothes like those anymore.

Please use plain text.
beccabear-canada
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

Nice work on identifying her, really fun to see the photo. There was of course also actress Ruth Gordon, but I'm sure it's Kitty.

"Seamonkeys not exactly as shown."
Please use plain text.
professorplastic
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

Seeing as that her "K" looks so much like a big gigantic "R" on her signature, I considered that same thing. Actually Ruth Gordon would have been active in the threater in that timeframe as well, playing the part of one of the children in a revival of "Peter Pan" in 1915. Ruth was born in 1896 and would've been 18 or 19 at that time; whereas Kitty, born in 1878 would have been around 40 in 1918.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

LOL!  To say nothing of the fact that RG was rather a small person; the lady above is not.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pipilo02

Kitty Gordon   http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0330373/

Please use plain text.