cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE 16mm COLLECTORS?

Sales on 16mm have slowed down a bit on eBay, so where are all the 16mm collectors?
Seeking 16mm: That's Entretainment I and II, concert films, music clips, optical prints of Scopitones and other reels.
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE 16mm COLLECTORS?

We sent my dads collections to a live auction place. It's this Sunday.  I kept some for my collection but my dad's was over 1,000. you can find the details at this link. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1799055&kwd&zip=64149&category=0 

Message 16 of 75
latest reply

I grow old, I grow old

I shall wear my trousers rolled

Do I dare to eat a peach?

People otten collect the stuff they loved when they were kids and either couldn't afford or Mummy threw out when Child went off to university.

Vinyl  albums and 16 mm films might be of interest to those of us in the early Baby Boom, but we are starting to retire and downsize, so there would normally be more supply than demand for these nostalgia items.

There is a small followup market for some ot these things. My deejay nephew (age 40) has been picking from my LPs whenever he flies into town.

In my opinion the most active collectors are aged from about 35 (married, established job, kids in school) up to about 70 (retired, downsizing, fixed income). And that's in any field.

I notice that Cabbage Patch Dolls are making a comeback. DD had a couple of those when she was in Grade Two. She is now 36. See how that works?

Message 17 of 75
latest reply

I stopped buying 16mm when digital became cheap and such great quality.  I have loads of films I need to sell, including 92 original MASH episodes!

Message 18 of 75
latest reply

Hi everyone, I have been a keen film collector for many years and am searching for 16mm prints of these euro horrors

"NIGHT OF THE DAMNED", "SOMETHING CREEPING IN THE DARK" and "LONG HAIR OF DEATH" with Barbara Steele.

If anyone has prints and might sell. Thanks for reading.

Message 19 of 75
latest reply

We have a ton of 16mm films - none of which are the one's you are asking about. At the moment, I have approximately 250 titles that are not listed yet. I do have a few out as 'buy-it-now' items. However, I've been holding off on what I consider to be the one's film collectors go after and those are the one's in IB Technicolor or LPP film stock. Have some excellent titles here but we have over 10,000 DVD's so the concentration for the moment is on getting as many of those listed as possible before starting to list for auction some of the major film titles we have. Unfortunately, locked in a vault, we have about 300 prints that over the years turned pink and/or red. From time to time we list some of them at ridiculously low buy-it-now prices and they do sell. Some for as low as $25.00. However, it also depends on the title. Last year I sold a pink (leaning toward reddish) print of Xanadu at auction and it went for $198.00 (so you really never know even with the pink prints). I'm sitting on a washed out print of Fiddler on the Roof (most of the color is gone but the print itself is in excellent condition. Have not decided if I want to list it as it buy-it-now (and set a price with the best offer option) or just put it out for auction at a low starting bid and see what happens. Bottom line is the film collectors are still out there -- but they are looking for super quality prints. Someday in the not to distant future, all of the collectors are going to be happy with what they can find and as the collectors die off (since who under the age of 50 is a film collector) there will be a lot of old timers with a massive film library and virtually no one to leave it to.
Message 20 of 75
latest reply

i am from romania!i recently got something like 50 films! out of a university old storage...it may be documentary or press conference with Ceausescu! someone think's it will be interested to buy?

Message 21 of 75
latest reply

i am from romania!i recently got something like 50 films! out of a university old storage...it may be documentary or press conference with Ceausescu! someone think's it will be interested to buy?
Message 22 of 75
latest reply

If anyone out there has any rare 16mm films of The Lawrence Welk Show - please contact me!!

I am only interested in collecting shows on DVD but I do purchase 16mm films from LW If there`s anything out there of interest to me that I need in my collection.

I also have 2 extra LW films from the 1960`s that I would be willng to trade for as well. Also, I have over 350 shows on DVD. Many transfers from film.

Thank you,

Message 23 of 75
latest reply

Looking for Lawrence Welk 16mm films 1955 to 1963.

Message 24 of 75
latest reply

I have a lot of 16mm films. But my main thought is I also worked in Telecine for 30+ years. I am available to work with any of you that would like to transfer 16mm film to dvd or file. I'm semi retired now but love to work with film and can offer an excellent price and I do the work myself. You can contact me at 760-486-5957. I will return call and answer any question you may have. Thank you, Tom

Message 25 of 75
latest reply

Hi

I am looking for and collect any 16mm british tv stuff if you have anything top prices paid 

cheers phil.

Message 26 of 75
latest reply

Hi Phil,

No Britich TV but I have a 16mm print listed right now of a British Feature - Dishonour Bright from 1936

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262046032262?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

There is also a collectors forum - www.16mmfilmtalk.com 

worth a look

Message 27 of 75
latest reply

Hi hwy cinema,

Just came across this site.  There are a number of collectors in the U.K. but, as you say, mostly elderly.  I've collected religious films as I was in the ministry for 44 years and used films extensively.  Even now, I put on a monthly show at our local Salvation Army and had 40 in the audience at the April show. I also use film for shows in Churches, Over 60 clubs and almost anywhere requested.  You said you are mostly road show.  How do you  operate and what is your most prized print?

Best wishes,

Dave Groves 

Message 28 of 75
latest reply

Many titles all studio print Hollywood, MGM, republic from 1930's-1940's 26 titles 16mm films 

Message 29 of 75
latest reply

Would love to get my hands on some episodes of My Living Doll. Loved that show. Hard to connect with collectors these days for some reason. Seems like trading/buying sites and boards were everywhere in the early 2000s. 

Message 30 of 75
latest reply