eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Old VHS Tapes.......Are they worth listing?

in reply to whisperingelm

What a great idea!  Also good idea for DVDs as well that don't sell.

Consider Library for DVDs.  Might be able to get tax deduction.

Please use plain text.
ferngreen49
Community Member

in reply to ellie_belle00

I use a padded envelope and never have a problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to dorkyduo

Generally speaking, unless if never released on DVD or a newer format (Blu-Ray, HD DVD, online streaming, digital copy), VHS tapes are destined for the charity shop, yard sale, or the dumpster, even if sealed and unopened! I've listed one lot of 24 sealed VHS tapes (granted, they're common, released toward the end of the VHS era, and of mixed genre) and have not even had a single offer in a six-month span! But as always, find out if that VHS doesn't have an official advance release. This is a good tape to sell, especially if protected from copyright from video sharing. Generally speaking (and this is a general eBay rule), if the price it costs to ship is equal to or greater than the gross selling price for any item, I don't think its worth the hassle to sell unless you aquired the items at a very low price beforehand. Maybe the slipcovers may have a tiny bit of value, but the awkard way of storing them that way just doesn't appeal to me. Most VHS purchases are due to nostalgia and as a cheaper alternative to a DVD or digital copy, in which you can use a VHS to DVD dubber/converter, with tossing out the tapes after use. There may be some minor appreciation in value years/decades down the road, but unless if still hard to find on a contermporary format, VHS tapes will be one of the worst things to collect in terms of value.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24

Spoiler
I'm converting my favorite movie tapes to disk, then donating the tapes to a senior citizens'  facility. I have enough tapes  that they'll be able to start up a pretty decent lending library. 
Spoiler

Please use plain text.
gypzeerose
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24

ebay seller  Treasures by Brenda has written an excellent guide to this. http://treasures-by-brenda.squidoo.com/rareVHStapes

As far as whether something is "worth listing" my thinking is that if it is free for you to get or just something you have lying around - why not? If you make a sale, and do not lose money on postage - you will bring traffic to your store. And maybe make a few bucks. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rensun

I still have my original collection of VHS tapes.  It started at 5000.  Over the years, I sold the rarer, out of print tapes on Ebay.  But there are still thousands left.  So I took an ad out in Craigslist offering to sell them at 1.00 each.  I have had 3 sellers come by to cherry pick this month.  I sold about 100 tapes.  Not great, but a lot better than putting them in a landfill.  The interesting thing is that all 3 customers were young - I'd say around 20-25 years old.  It was cool and gratifying to see them have an interest in old movies.

I didn't even know how they could have even known about these movies!  

The best genre is Horror.  Horror always sells - especially if you are lucky to have a rare title.  OOP wrestling tapes sell well.  There are hundreds of Restricted movies that haven't been released on DVD which sell. The Children genre, especially Disney, will still sell ok.  

Here is my genre ranking:

1) Horror 

2) Children

3) Comedy

4) Action

5) Drama

Please use plain text.
rensun
Community Member

in reply to quality_distributor

DEF worth listing! I just made $71.00 on an old vcr tape....because the collector wanted the BOX!!

I listed over 100 horror tapes, and not all went, but many did. It's worth a try on eBay! That is the best place to find out their worth.

THEN you can take the left-overs to the thrift store.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
yes list them in the trash
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
There are many previous discussions about packaging for shipping DVDs, VHS, records, CD's etc. Just use the search option above to find a discussion thread.
At post offices they sell VHS tape mailers(cardboard). One type is for cheap shipping(Media Mail), the other is labeled for Priority Mail.

Cheaper is to just make your own cardboard shipping box. Make sure to tape all seams well and mark it FRAGILE. I've never had a VHS tape get damaged in shipping, so it's not like you have to put it in a big box with bubble wrap or styrofoam-peanuts.

Good luck elle_belle00
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
I'm gonna piggyback on this topic for a second to ask what's the best method to ship a VHS? I just sold a Billy Blanks video, but I'm not sure how to ship it so that a heavier package doesn't fall on it and crush it. Sorry to interrupt - back to topic...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
Before my mom died, she had developed dementia. She was housebound/bedridden so watching TV/movies was her main pasttime 24 hours/day. She loved watching movies. She was not mentally capable of operating a DVD player, but had no problem with a VHS player because all she had to do was put the VHS tape in and it would automatically start playing; at least she could figure out the remote a little easier for a VHS player, than for a DVD player, if she wanted to stop, rewind, volume, etc. I think that if people don't want/can't sell their VHS tapes, it might be a wonderful idea to donate them to convalescent homes or retirement homes. We have a local retirement home here that maintains a common library which includes movies. I don't know what kind of set-ups convalescent homes have....whether they have VHS players (still) in the rooms for the patients, but it might be worth looking into and it might make an elderly person happy, make you feel good, and give you a way to get rid of all your unwanted VHS tapes in a way that would make you feel like you did a good deed? Too sad how many elderly people are stuck in nursing homes and forgotten about.....

Whisperingelm
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
Back to the OP's original list and questions, If I had those 16 tapes I'd put them on Craigslist and start them out at $10 then each week lower the price by $1-2, If you get down to $5 and they haven't sold them, Then give them to the goodwill and take a $16 donation receipt for your taxes.
I shop the thrifts weekly, and there is only a few titles (4-5) there that I don't see on a regular basis and those that I do see are usually for .50 ea.

Photobucket

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this stuff, but it helps........The Official Queen of the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
I agree that listing them in lots might be best. As with any auction, the title of the item is suer important: Make Every Word Count. I'm not a seller but I'd pick one high-visibility word or name to get more people to see it. Buzz words like Elvis, etc. Forget words like Rare or wasting letter spaces by using a bunch of exclamation ! points.

Someone just gave me 3 sealed VHS box sets of The Sopranos(seasons Two, Three & Four). Are they worth selling or maybe they are the kind of thing to sell a few years from now? I realize that VHS tapes can deteriorate over time, so that's an element. Seems most any VHS tape is going to have its critical time peak, when it is still good/operable.

One guy at Hollywood Video(now on its last leg...) told me to stack the box sets up, use a long industrial drill and just drill a hole down through them and make them into a nice lamp... ha!
Please use plain text.
professorplastic
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
When it comes right down to it, it's the movie itself on the tape that makes them collectable. Think of it this way; There are thousands and thousands of old 45 RPM records that are still sought after and collected by people. Vinyl records represent a medium that is obsolete today. They were the standard then, but no longer. Same with VHS. I maintain a good turntable for records, and also maintain a good VCR for tapes so these so-called obsolete media can be still enjoyed almost as much as the new digital stuff made to supercede them ...

I have a few thousand VHS tapes and thousands more old records. I just love my junk too much to discard it. I also hit the thrift stores, garage sales, book fairs, record shows and goodwill outlets to scrounge for crap. I have found some amazing rarities in these places and in excellent condition. Rare records and rare tapes ...

But it all comes down to the song, the movie, and the condition. If a great album and a rare one shows up, but it's all torn up or scratched, I won't buy it. Sometimes I'll find a super clean record sleeve, or a VHS box that is near perfect, and simply substitute the record or tape I already have at home in damaged packaging with the new ... and whalla ... A nice item ...

Uh ... Always check the numbers when you do this though. Make sure you're matching the correct issues ...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
I buy and sell lots of VHS tapes. When I sell I usually put together "Lots" of 8 or more usually themed,usually start them at $11.99-14.99 and they SELL! There are 5 box set versions of the Star Wars Trilogy and in Dec. I sold all 5 versions + 2 "making of" tapes to one person for around $30. Them Star Wars people are the craziest people, they just gotta have everything SW. My buyer left a one word feedback....."WOW!"

I buy from time to time on E-bay but usually when I want something bad or it's hard to find, but I usually buy at thrift stores and yard sales never paying more than $1 ea. most times it 3-4 for a buck. Lots cheaper than buying DVD's, as I have over 1000 titles on VHS and it would have cost thousands to replace them with DVD's and about 25% aren't available on DVD anyways.

Do you remember paying $2.99 just to rent a VHS in the 80's????, many of those movies I rented, I have now bought for less than renting them.

Photobucket

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this stuff, but it helps........The Official Queen of the Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
I have seen a recent resurgence in VHS tape sales. It's not like it was 5 years ago, but the sell through rate seems a bit higher.

One thing that gives me hope is the artwork of many VHS tapes. The most notable example is the Star Wars trilogy. The classic artwork of the orgiinal trilogy has never really been reproduced for DVD. Star wars is so big that there will always be fans willing to buy.

It's going to be subjective but before notations are made and if you have the storage space, I recommend going over one's collections of VHS tapes for covers that look like paintings and anything else that looks unusual and keep it. I have a feeling in another 10-20 years, some of the cases will be more valuable than the movies.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
Steven,

I tried selling used VHS tapes on eBay last year. Even some with starting bid of one penny didn't sell. Do a completed search for the ones you have.

I got more benefit by donating them to Goodwill.

Brian
Please use plain text.
professorplastic
Community Member

in reply to stevewoo24
Hi Steven,

Probably not worth listing ... Just my thoughts ...

I think the only VHS tapes selling, are old movies that have yet to be issued on DVDs. Check all your titles to see if there is DVD on the market customers can buy instead. If there is, your tapes probably will not sell on ebay. They will, however, eventually be bought by someone, if you donate them to GoodWill ...

Good Luck ...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Old VHS Tapes.......Are they worth listing?

Decided to clear out some stuff that is simply taking up room that I could put to better use (Plus I don't presently own a VCR).......I have quite a few Old VHS tapes, all are previously viewed but all play well and are complete with boxes. Some of the titles are listed below, Are they worth listing?

1. Powder
2. Eternal Sunshine - (Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst)
3. Good Son - ( Macaulay Culkin )
4. MONSTER - ( Based on a true Story / Christina Ricci )
5. Titanic
6. Scream
7. Sleepless in Seattle
8. Windtalkers
9. Where the Day takes you
10. The Last Unicorn
11. White Fang
12. Maverick - ( Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster )
13. Working Girl
14. Pure Danger - ( C. Thomas Howell )
15. Cadillac Ranch
16. Red Surf - ( George Clooney )

I Also have MANY that don't have their original boxes, will Older VHS tapes without the original boxes sell? Thanks for any input!

-Steven
“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” - Samuel Adams, 1776
Please use plain text.