eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Is it possible to make a profit selling DVDs on eBay?

in reply to dreamcatcher0221
I was planning on getting rid of some of my DVD titles which I've bought again on Blu-Ray or just don't want just to free up space, but everything I'm hearing makes it sound like it might not be worth the trouble.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

There's no money in selling blockbuster titles that you can find new on every Walmart store shelf. But there's oop stuff out there that's worth some big bucks. So i agree & i disagree with what many have said on here.

You have to do a little research on what's out of print and what's not. There's many oop horror dvd titles that regulary sell for $50 and up used on Ebay. Odd titles...horror...cult titles that are oop are the way to go. But even an older comedy title like Drop Dead Fred that's oop sells for a nice price. 

There's money to be made....you just gotta know how to make it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to macman4623

You can sell DVD's here and make decent money. The most important thing is to buy in bulk when possible. You have to keep your cost down to at least 50 cents per unit on average for used A movies. B movies I wouldnt give more than 10 cents, new or used.

Another thing you need is a disc repair machine. Most movies you buy used will have a few scratches. A good machine can make these look like new in 30 seconds. Another thing I do is buy new cases in bulk, I buy lots of movies cheap in Acceptable condition and turn them into Very Good for as little as 25 cents.

Garage sales and Craigs list seem to be the best places to find DVD's.

CD's. I wont give more than 10 cents apiece.

Please use plain text.
macman4623
Community Member

I bought a lot of about 70 well known DVDs at an estate sale for about $60. I figured I could sell the crummy ones (varsity blues...etc) and cover the cost for the ones I wanted to watch. Blech...I think I found about 5 that regularly sell for more than $4 with shipping.

It almost seems that the cost of the legit item ($1) is actually less than the work involved for getting not legit copy(5-10 minutes).

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I think that the whole downloading thing is finite....people are going to discover that  a downloaded movie has zero re-gift or resale value.

I'll freely admit I've never downloaded item one, but those folks who have, I've noticed that only the movie itself downloads......none of the "specials (commentary, behind the scenes, etc)"......that made DVDs so popular in the first place.

People like to OWN things, and a few bits on your hard drive isn't owning a thing.

Although I am astounded at how much companies want for downloading a movie.

Remember - every time someone downloads a a movie....the studios win, and the consumer loses.

Just to say - I am COMPLETELY behind creator's rights.

Please use plain text.
eliteautomobile
Community Member

No money in it anymore you will wind up selling at cost to unload them

Please use plain text.
blitzwing
Community Member

You are better off selling your DVDs to your local used DVD stores or used bookstores. Most people nowadays will more likely buy or rent digital movies and TV series off from iTunes, Netflix, and Amazon.

The big box stores sell blu-ray disks that were big box office movies a few years ago in their $7.88 bargain bin boxes like Apocalypto, Batman Begins, Black Hawk Down, Cloverfield, The Dark Knight, District 9, Hellboy, Kingdom of Heaven, Predators, Red Riding Hood, Spider-man trilogy, Transformers, various martial arts movies etc. These are the titles I saw in my local WalMart store.

People are not going to buy used DVDs if they can buy or rent digital copies or buy factory sealed new blu-rays at bargain bin prices from the big box stores.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have been buying, selling and trading DVDs for a long time.

Opportunities for a business wholesaling factory sealed DVDs are probably non-existant now. The real opprtunity is in reselling used inventory.  The challenge is to develope a buying system and work hard obtaining obtaing inventory.  

Scouting garage sales, book fairs, thrift shops, library sales for DVDs and other media is hard work but can be lucrative.

The best places to sell your inventory is best explained on http://www.dvdhunt.com

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have been buying, selling and trading DVDs for a long time.

Opportunities for a business wholesaling factory sealed DVDs are probably non-existant now. The real opprtunity is in reselling used inventory.  The challenge is to develope a buying system and work hard obtaining obtaing inventory.   

Scouting garage sales, book fairs, thrift shops, library sales for DVDs and other media is hard work but can be lucrative. 

The best places to sell your inventory is best explained here:

Please use plain text.
tardinardi2010
Community Member

The profit from selling legitimate dvds is not that much, but if you enjoy movies and have brand new dvds you think and know you will never get around to watching list them so someone who might be looking for that title has a chance to purchase it and enjoy it.I know I have looked for certain movies and could not no matter how many places I went could I find it.  Listing on ebay you never know what you can find that you just could not locate anywhere else.  I love selling movies to someone who has searched high and low without success until they found my store, if I make a buck only it is worth it.  the profit you make is not always measured by the dollar.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

If you want to make a profit by selling DVDs on eBay then yes you are on right place.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

With netflix, filesharing and the ability to rent/burn DVDs, no one really is buying even USED DVDs these days...kinda like CDs...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I've been in video and video retail since 1977. The answer to your question is NO.... they do not make money in a traditional sense. Some of the dealers who spend time on ultra low listings also spend a lot of time getting the customer they pick up from ebay OFF ebay and on to their own retail sites. Some are just happy with a 25 or 50 cents cash flow after fees because they are liquidating their own rental stock. (There are 100's of rental companies with 50 to 500 stores with low exposure because they rent from convience stores, grocery stores, etc) Of course some of the large dealers have a lower shipping cost which helps, but that means they have a high overhead with an organization that requires them to ship 1000's of items a day just to pay for the facilities. All this adds up to the very difficult nature of selling movies and making money. As a small dealer you must develop the skills of finding the harder to find DVD that sells for much more. And also remember just because the list price is high doesn't mean there are really any buyers for the item. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Is it possible to make a profit selling DVDs on eBay?

I am a small seller. I would love to sell used DVDs on eBay that I buy at garage sales and estate sales. But I hesitate to sell DVDs because I can't figure out how to compete with people who are selling their DVDs for 1 cent + free shipping. Or for that matter, even competing against those who sell a DVD for 1 cent + $2.97 shipping is difficult. By the time I pay the actual shipping costs and the eBay fee + Paypal fee, there isn't any profit left.

How are the sellers making any money who are selling at 1 cent? Where are they buying their product?
Please use plain text.