eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

73shane73
Community Member

Re: How can you tell bootleg DVD's?

in reply to weemscorp2009

Also  if u ever see in the item description (Disc only)  is a huge red flag....unless your looking under the used or prior owned section then id say if u get it home & the artwork looks fuzzy on the disc or it has the obvious rainbow coloring on the under side..i see the tell tale "disc only"   from numerous sellers....it makes me sick that i have to sift thru all the fake garbage just to get a genuine "Real" article these days   :smileysad:  (I wish Ebay would get its act together and when these people are reported because of bootlegs they should be banned for life via thier (identification) & brought up on federal charges....

Please use plain text.
collectors52
Community Member

in reply to kimbanoel

Sad that FBI doesn't care.  Despite how many movie studios knew about bootlegs and do nothing.

In fact, I think that all movie studios should sell them themselves not through middlemens or whatever.  Cut down the bottlegs that way.

I bought lots of Walt Disney DVDs a few years ago only to find out they are knockoffs.  My niece is a jounalist and knew how to detect which are bootlegs, knockoffs, etc.  Mostly she said it is easy as knockoffs tend to have some smells and also she check technology on DVD and notice it is not the same as the originals.

Since then I no longer buy DVDs on eBay.   Sad that the criminals continue to find ways to dupe many of us and eBay is NOT helping alot!  eBay is ALL about getting $$$, never mind if breaking laws, is what it seems to me.

Please use plain text.
ashcarter87
Community Member

in reply to punkrockmuffin

I bought a dvd once and the movie itself played fine. Went to hit special features and it did nothing. Click click nothing. So I was about to go send a message to the seller that my dvd was messed up. But then I looked real close at the case itself. The artwork was printed on plain copy paper.

I don't really remember what I did as this was years ago. But I got my money back and got to keep the counterfeit movie. Honestly I think the seller just returned my money and ebay didn't get involved.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

You need to contact the Film Production Companys that the movies are being Pirated from. They will put a stop to it. All the bootlegging is a huge financial loss to these Production Companys. Im about to do that with a film i just bought. When i went to watch it, it actually says DO NOT DUPLICATE, across the entire film!!! Pretty frustating.
Please use plain text.
wpgtommy
Community Member

in reply to sineaterdoodah

I just saw a very convincing looking pack of "Sharpeis" at the dollar store.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I recently ordered what turned out to be a bootleg copy of the Sopranos Complete Series box set on eBay. It was $64 + free shipping (which should have given it away immediately). Unfortunately, I only did my research on bootlegs *after* ordering. I was disappointed and frustrated enough to immediately go out to Best Buy and purchase an authentic copy for $200. Unfortunately, the outside packaging of the bootleg set is nearly identical to that of the real; the biggest differences are noticable only once the set has been opened. If you are considering buying a set on eBay, you should insist that the seller post pictures of the DVDs themselves, including close-ups of the undersides of the discs, for reasons that I will explain below.

Since I had both the fake and the real sets (before returning the bootleg), I decided to take some comparison pictures and post them here in order to help others avoid making the same mistake I did, and to aid people in identifying bootlegs that they may already have purchased. The following photos illustrate the differences between the two sets; the fake/bootleg copy is on the left or on the bottom in all pictures.

A summary of the major differences:

1) The dead giveaway is that the bootleg DVDs come individually wrapped in thin plastic sleeves. The authentic DVDs do not.

2) The undersides of the bootleg DVDs have the season and disc number spelled out around the holographic center. The authentic DVDs have bar codes and numbers in the same place.

3) The bootleg DVDs are all primarily shades of green or grey, and are different colors than their authentic counterparts, which come in a wider variety of colors (one color per season).

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2782  II.jpg

IMG_2785 copy.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to madball40

The markup on New or recent Dvds is so small that if you see an inexpensive box-set, it is probably a bootleg. 

Also, if you see a DVD that has an identical cover to it's VHS release, it is usually a bootleg.  It is often a bootleg of a movie or show that hasn't made it on to DVD yet.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have had this problem with the Series Ripper Street. The first set I got only disc 3 played and it was sold as brand new to me. When I opened it there were marks on it. So the seller sent me a new one and discs 1 & 2 play but freeze and disc 3 does not play so I'm on my 3rd try now with the seller. They just tell me to trow away the copies they sent me.

I just got Man of Steel today and the first thing I notice is the movie rating. It says rated R for Violence an some other stuff but the movie is PG-13 not R. Have not tried to watch it yet but this sucks because I sell too and now I can not sell these items when I get sick of watching them.

These have been the only bad things so far though so guess I have to expect to take a few hits from what I buy on ebay.

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to glomdi
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I recently got Supernatural Season 8 for my birthday from my sister, but I think it might be a bootleg. The moment I saw it I realized it didin't have a shiny glossiness the other seasons did - however, they may have just changed the packaging. Then when I opened it I got more surprises. The first and last discs are on the inside cover, not one of the individual flappy things, and the episode guide goes straight into the episodes; it doesn't have any of the cast or a general cover on it, which all other seasons have. The box also seems a little flimsy.

Another strange thing is that the episode guide is blocking the first disc - also something that hasn't happened on any of the other seasons.

I put it in my computer and it has 4.35gb on it, says 0 gb are free. It's titled as "DVD RW Drive (F:smileyhappy: supernatural s8-1." 

So I'm trying to figure out if they just changed the box to ultimate **bleep**, or if I got a bootleg copy. I tried one of the links someone else posted here but they got shut down. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to honscorp

> on the tv series and movies it's almost impossible to tell

See the earlier post, message 12 in this thread. It is relatively easy to test a disc to determine if it is a bootleg.

Please use plain text.
honscorp
Community Member

in reply to amarillo*slim

if i ever get a tv series off of ebay and i don't know whether it's a bootleg or not i'll look under the seller's recent feedback.  i'll find every person who left feedback for that item...whether it's positive or neutral.  then i'll shoot them a message asking if they had any problems with it.  not only does the seller have to return yours if the bootleg is **bleep** but he has to return theirs too.  thats pretty funny. 

most of the dvd's i've gotten off of ebay are nothing like yall's bootlegs.  on the tv series and movies it's almost impossible to tell....the dvd's have a mirror finish, the cover art is exactly the same.  the menus and footage is exactly the same.  there are only 2 thinks that allow me to tell....one is major skipping of the dvd and the other is the lettering on the back of the case. 

you can't hide cheap chinese ink no matter how hard you try.  when you look at a legit dvd the words are easy to read....the white is actually white....and the edges of the letters are fine.  on a cheaply burnt copy the white will have a little yellow and rainbow color in it.  the edges of the letter will be fuzzy especially tiny ones.  there are fingerprints on the dvd and usually feels like quite a bit of dust inside the case. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to recee2544757

I just paid $80 for a homemade dvd and I have filed a complaint and reported the item . This seller had 100% good feed back and noted nothing in description that it was a fake.

Please use plain text.
lxskye2009
Community Member

I recently had a problem with THE BEATLES STEREO BOX SET, which has a terrible Chinese counterfeit counterpart. eBay does not allow 'bootleg' items, but if you click on 'music' and 'The Beatles', I found at least 40 items that were definately unofficial. Hell, if you go to Amazon right now and look up THE BEATLES STEREO BOX SET, they actually are displaying a photo of the Chinese Counterfeit Back Cover!

The key to identifying that fake Box Set is, the fake one does not have the FBI PIRACY SEAL ON IT,  which should appear to the left of the bar code. It also says 'Printed in EU.' At least, that's how you can tell outwardly, if you have access to see what the back cover looks like. Inwardly, the CD jackets are poorly made, many words are spelled wrong, even the artist's names! The problem with finding an Official Version on the Bay, is compounded by Sellers using a stock front cover display, which tells you nothing about their authenticity. I finally found a Seller who displayed pics of the front & back, as well as the individual CDs. Only then, did I Buy It Now. It's treacherous out there in regards to bootlegs. And a lot of Seller's, who buy and resell, may not even be aware that the item they are offering is counterfeit. So, best to always do your research, or just out right contact The Seller and ask.  Look up: STUDIO GHIBLI COLLECTION.  Wow! All 16 Disney Released Films in English, for $25! Of course, the name Disney doesn't appear anywhere on the Box , and when each disc has 3 movies crammed onto it. That alone, should send up red flags! If it's too good to be true, chances are it isnt....

Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

Ebay policy is that the buyer pays for return shipping. If you got a refund of your original payment, Ebay closes the case.

The onyl thing left to do is leave appropriate feedback as a warning to others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
Please use plain text.
amarillo*slim
Community Member

in reply to triyarn

Would someone please advise me regarding the DVD I bought recently..(I posted about it earlier in this thread)..it was a boot-leg, taken from the A & E Channel.

Well, I opened a case against the seller..

The seller was extremely rude to me in his e-mails, emphatically refusing a refund, claiming those tv programs were 'public domain'.

To cut a long story short, eBay advised him to refund the price of the DVD.

However, he refuses to issue a refund on the return shipping ($3.14).

He is still selling these DVD's and I now see that eBay closed my case against him.??

Don't they check with me before doing this...why would they assume that I want it closed.?

I'm more upset that he is continuing to sell ?

Is there anything I can do at this point.?

Thank for any advice.

Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

Jilly, yes, it's a bootleg. That movie is not available on DVD commercially.

If you want to return the DVD to the seller, contact them. If they refuse, file a claim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
Please use plain text.
amarillo*slim
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lchaos

I am so glad I found this thread, as I strongly believe I just bought a boot-leg DVD and I'm curious what I can/should do about it, if anything ?.:smileyfrustrated:

After searching for quite a few months for this DVD, I found the DVD a couple of weeks ago, and I was thrilled.

However, the seller has a paragraph in his TOS that I didn't understand, and still don't..?

Here's a link to the completed listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271257149061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Would someone please take a moment, and translate for me.?

He seems to have this 'warning' in all his listings.?

Is it my fault for not contacting the seller before bidding ?

The DVD I received a few days ago is horrible.

It has a cover which appears to have been copied from a still photo of the movie, and it is obvious that the tape was taken from the Sci-Phi Channel, as periodically during the movie, there are quick flashes of 1970's advertising.

Yesterday, when I looked over the completed listing for the tape, I did notice that the seller mentioned that he had three more of these tapes for sale....which should have been a big red flag, because I've searched eBay for months for this tape, and for someone to have four of them is extremely doubtful.?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to boilermaker1970

Another bootleg tip off is that I have never seen a bootleg DVD that has any metadata. Metadata is the embedded information that IDs the disc on your computer. Every bootleg I have seen states "unknown disc" is you try to play it in WMP.

Please use plain text.
blue_eyes_james
Community Member

neneland - Unfortunately ebay lets just anyone sell and not everyone makes for a good seller. Understandably some people think that they should "talk an item up" and make it sound good, like a real estate agent! But here we suggest you not exactly "talk it down" but be honest and a bit critical when stating the condition.

As you see you just have to vet your sellers carefully. Look for actual pictures instead of stock pics, though when a seller has tens of thousands of dvds listed I expect stock pic then.

Boy I try to keep my head but once I got a "Like New" dvd that looked liked someone dragged it through drying pudding! I think I shot off a testy e-mail I regretted. They were very apologetic and refunded.

"Laugh and you'll live long. Laugh at yourself and you'll live longer!"
Please use plain text.