cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this trim piece for?

I've got this NOS trim piece for a Ford that I have been having difficulty identifying. It is in a very worn and tattered Ford Service Parts box. Where the part number would have been has completly deteriorated away and there are no other usable numbers on the box and none at all on the part. It is aluminum, about 1' long, and has a lip along one edge. So far my best guess is that this is some kind of exterior trim or it could be interior trim for a seat.

Anyone who knows Fords reconize this?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I'd say you're on the right track with "interior trim"- probably no earlier than mid 60's; no later than mid 70's.....I don't know, but I just wanted to say that that sure is a neat Eagle wagon in your avatar! 🙂

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I owned 4 Eagle wagons. 80, 82, 84, 87. Loved 'em all!
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@62_gt_hawk wrote:
I owned 4 Eagle wagons. 80, 82, 84, 87. Loved 'em all!

I don't think I'm meant to have one. Had 2 chances to purchase ones on CL over the last few years- and each time, weird circumstances on the seller's ends resulted in the deals never coming to fruition. Wish they made cars like that today, instead of these delicate, needlessly complex, expensive Rube Goldberg contraption AWD abominations!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Rocker panel molding.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I agree with atikovi; looks like rocker panel trim although I can't place the year and model.
Maybe some browsing through pics of old Fords would reveal the actual fit?

I also like those AMC Eagles.  There's a guy in a small town about 10 miles from me who has 4 or 5 of those things sitting out back. Or at least they were there the last time I went by about 6 months ago.

Just letting them rot I guess.  😞

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Well, the box it is in has the year 1966 on it, though for all I know this part is not in the correct box. No way to tell with the part number deteriorated away.

Her name is Rosalind. She's my first dabble in the vintage car hobby, which also doubles as my daily driver and has the title of my first car. It has been an interesting experience to say the least, especially so at school where everyone either had a hand-me-down car, an older small domestic or import sedan, or a new car from very generous parents, and then there was Rosalind and I.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Sweet! I would love a 1980 two door sedan! Mine's an 86 Limited with the honey leather seats, about 104k miles, and some rare and desirable options like the gauge console with a *working* factory tach, the sport steering wheel, the top of the line radio for the day (AM/FM Cassette with electronic tuning and DNR), and the 15" wire spoke wheel covers.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It took me two years of searching to fine mine. It takes time and patience, and they don't come up for sale too often, but they are out there.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You may be onto something. I found one Ford rocker panel molding piece that was shorter and a different style, but had a very similar design on the back.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Picture browsing is how I've identified some parts before, but it is currently past midnight so I'll leave that for the morning. It does look like it could be rocker panel molding based on some similar parts listed.

When I got mine in 2012, she had an inspection sticker from 2004. Granted she was not rusting away in some field, instead she was semi-cared for and driven around the last caretakers property at least. That place the American Pickers would have loved.

It's a shame about those cars. The Eagle is one of those cars that was mass-produced, but you don't see them around that much anymore nowadays. Wagons are pretty common, its the models like the two door sedan, SX-4 coupe, Kammback, and Sundancer which are the very rare ones.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

How often do you see ANY AMC product? These Eagles are probably the most common AMCs we're likely to see still around....which isn't saying much. Definitely the best thing AMC ever made. They finally got it right...then they went out of business!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@allmycollections8693 wrote:
Sweet! I would love a 1980 two door sedan! 

I had this 83 with a 5-speed stick 25 years ago. Rode like a truck but no snow ever stopped it.

1.jpg

Message 13 of 13
latest reply