cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to ship 4 tires? Any advice?

Hi Ebay Community,

I have 4 tires that I need to sell. I am considering selling them on Ebay because I do not trust Craigslist anymore. Does anyone have any advice about the best way to ship the tires? What postal service to use...such as USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.? Any details about how to package them, etc. Anything you know will help. I have never shipped anything that large before and have no idea what it would cost. Do you know the costs to ship tires...on average? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you. I appreciate it. 🙂

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: What is the best way to ship 4 tires? Any advice?

I've never shipped tires, but I have seen them at the UPS store when dropping off a few packages.

They were not packed or wrapped, they just had a label taped to each one of them.

So, measure and weigh one of them and give them a call to get an idea on the cost of shipping. 

UPS Stores charge more than the service counter at UPS, so it would be cheaper to take them to the UPS hub's service counter.

You can also look at listings to get an idea on what shipping service tire sellers use.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

You don't trust Craigslist......

You won't find things any better on here.

Same scammers..

The only difference is you can have people on Craigslist come to your house with cash and take the item home on their own.

No chargebacks where you end up with no product AND no money.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

You can ship tires by UPS, and with just a label on them. But beware that UPS has a surcharge for an item shipped that is not encased in cardboard. It used to be $9, but I am sure it has gone up with the recent price increases. So in that case it would add another $36 to the base rate and all of the other possible charges with fuel, extra deliver area surcharge, etc. that may also occur.

They can be shipped by Greyhound Express if your customer lives fairly close to a station. They do not deliver to the home, just to the station that you designate. The good part about them is that the item can be covered with a sheet or blanket and duck taped. You don't have to worry about finding or making a box. All they care about is that there are no sharp edges, as the items are stored in the same compartment as passengers' luggage. You can look up the location of stations, and figure the cost to ship yourself, or call them. Sometimes they are less expensive than UPS, and sometimes not. I have used them over the years for large car parts like fenders and doors for vintage vehicles, and never had a problem. Another positive is that they are handled far less than going the convention UPS or Fedex route.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Used to be able to ship by Parcel Post for $15-$20 by just sticking on a label. Rates have gone up a lot recently.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

He can list on EBay and specify local pickup only,and pay cash

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

That about eliminates 98% of his potential customers.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I concur regarding Greyhound.

Before UPS even existed, we were shipping auto parts via greyhound (station to station).

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

In my opinion, shipping costs on used tires is a waste of money.  I can buy new tires and have them come in without the shipping (which is already part of the price, I know) and have a better value.

If you take the cost of used tires, plus shipping, divide that into the remaining treadlife you'll find it more costly then new tires.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@1969_california_valerie wrote:

Hi Ebay Community,

I have 4 tires that I need to sell. I am considering selling them on Ebay because I do not trust Craigslist anymore. Does anyone have any advice about the best way to ship the tires? What postal service to use...such as USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.? Any details about how to package them, etc. Anything you know will help. I have never shipped anything that large before and have no idea what it would cost. Do you know the costs to ship tires...on average? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you. I appreciate it. 🙂

you dont trust craigslist ? that doesn't make any sense, accept only cash and meet them in the parking lot across from the local pd or sharif

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

I think that you mean "sheriff"

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I shipped four tires via UPS Ground from Portland OR to Montana for $18 per tire. I took them to a UPS Customer Center, not a third-party or Mailboxes Etc store.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

did you have to wrap it or anything other than label?
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@bumpersignal wrote:
did you have to wrap it or anything other than label?

If it's not in a package, UPS will charge a handling fee of $8 a tire, or they did a few years ago when I shipped a tire with them. Might be more now.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

The quote system works for shipping tires on Fedex, but they charge $10.50 per shipment extra because the tire(s) aren't in a box.  So basically add $10.50 to the quote the estimator gives you and you'll be fairly close as long as your measurements and weight are accurate.  Don't ship the tires individually, wrap 2 of them together with tape and ship them in pairs.  This is the most cost effective way to ship tires.  

Message 15 of 30
latest reply