cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold a vintage car now I'm being harassed!!

So, I sold my husband vintage car through e-bay motors. The description, we felt, was very accurate & honest. The buyer, from the very beginning, was hard to contact & deal with, he is in a different state as well. He started complaining the day it was picked up, by a shipper. Today he has e-mailed me twice demanding his money back plus all shipping to and from. He never asked, not one question about the car, not one. Now he is full of threats of suing me over it. He bought it a month ago & just had the car picked up Thursday. I will not refund anything. I feel it was his responsibly to ask any specific questions about a 50 year old car, in great shape I might add. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Tell him to go eff himself. Used car sales are "As is". Even as far as suing, the only leg he would have to strand on, is if he could prove intentional fraud on your part- i.e. that you were aware of major damage and lied about it, or purposely concealed it (which I'm sure is not the case)- and he would have to PROVE it.

Probably just some flake who never dealt with old cars before and was unrealistic about what to expect. People see things in magazines and on TV, and think that every old car is like the $70K creampuff they saw there....and even if they got THAT car, they'd still complain, because in reality, they're still just old cars, even under all the shiny paint.

Just ignore him and block his emails/messages. Special Snowflake, who can't take responsibility for his own actions and even ask some questions- much less go and inspect (or have inspected on his behalf) will get tired after a while and go away, and go back to playing video games in his mommy's basement.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

buyer was complaining before he even recieved the auto.???  maybe fishing for a partial refund.....

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Tell him to go eff himself. Used car sales are "As is". Even as far as suing, the only leg he would have to strand on, is if he could prove intentional fraud on your part- i.e. that you were aware of major damage and lied about it, or purposely concealed it (which I'm sure is not the case)- and he would have to PROVE it.

Probably just some flake who never dealt with old cars before and was unrealistic about what to expect. People see things in magazines and on TV, and think that every old car is like the $70K creampuff they saw there....and even if they got THAT car, they'd still complain, because in reality, they're still just old cars, even under all the shiny paint.

Just ignore him and block his emails/messages. Special Snowflake, who can't take responsibility for his own actions and even ask some questions- much less go and inspect (or have inspected on his behalf) will get tired after a while and go away, and go back to playing video games in his mommy's basement.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

There' s a lot of people like that out there. My suggestion is to send one more short politely worded email telling the buyer that you sold them a very aged car AS IS and it is their responsibility to look it over BEFORE they place a bid or have someone do it for them.

After that, ignore them. Don't respond to anything.

Don't worry about a lawsuit. That is an empty threat. To sue you they would have to travel to your jurisdiction and bring a suit in the county you live in. The odds of their winning any kind of suit against you are zero in my opinion.

Don't stress out over shallow threats. Threatening to sue is a common tactic that hardly anyone ever follows through with. In the rare event this person actually is foolish enough to file a suit you can deal with it when and if that ever happens.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I feel that he had buyers remorse right away, I'm glad the check cleared the bank, even after I said in the description "only guaranteed funds"!!
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for your support, I will never sell anything like that again. It was a once in a life time deal. It's not like we bought it to resell it. My husband had the car for 22 years. He took exceptional care of it.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I do feel he was trying to just get some of his money back as he gave us 3 options, partial reimbursement was option #2. Thanks for you support. I feel better about it now!!

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Send him a box of tissue. I agree with the others, he was trying to squeeze you for a partial refund.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

This 'un?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-Mustang-/232310790105?hash=item3616cd57d9%3Ag%3AN7sAAOSwmCVY%7EBIE...

So the idjit buyer sends 16 grand to a stranger based on 6 not-the-greatest pics of a black car (Black is hard to photograph....); doesn't ask any questions......and then wants a refund, AND for you to pay his shipping?!!!!!

Used to be, that people like that would learn to take responsibility for themselves at some point....but not these days...........

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Buyer never told his wife about the purchase.  After it was delivered, wife read him the riot act and ordered him to sleep on the couch until he returns the car. Not your problem

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

Threatening legal action can also be the basis for a suit against that individual.  I agree with the other contributor here that the other party has to be able to prove fraud, not just say it.

There would have to be proof that you concealed major defects and otherwise mislead the purchaser about the condition of the car.  To buy an old car and be confronted with accumulated wear and tear is what is expected.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Thank you! I'm so glad I aired my frustration here. I feel much better about it now. I havn't heard anything from this person today. Maybe he realizes I'm not going to play this blame game. I'm sure it's not over yet but at least I had a break from it today!

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

The Mustang looks nice and you sold it at a fair price. If it's all original, the buyer would be smart to keep it that way. All original claassic cars like that will demand higher dollars when they have been unmolested.

The local Mustang club hosted their annual car show this weekend, with the show n shine yesterday. Two of our members trophied, the 65 Fastback has been professionally restored, the other a 65 Coupe is a one owner all original daily driver.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Well, he bought & now it's his. He has given me a time to respond tomorrow. I'm not even going to respond at this point. I've tried to block him from e mailing me through e bay but so far no luck.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Fair price for a convertible.

That is my favorite year for the Mustang.

Like everyone else said... tell the guy to enjoy his mustang...

Message 15 of 40
latest reply