Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Craigslist Scams and Fraudulent Use of Vehicle Purchase Protection

Craigslist Scams and Fraudulent Use of Vehicle Purchase Protection

sadie@ebay.com
Thrill-Seeker
All members should read this important warning.

If you shop on websites other than eBay, you should exercise caution if someone emails you claiming to be an eBay representative!

We are seeing an increase in reports of fake eBay Motors transactions that originate automotive websites other than eBay, such as Craigslist.

Fraudsters are sending online shoppers fake email messages claiming to be from the eBay Trust and Safety Department, the eBay Motors Finance Center, an eBay Escrow Agent, or from the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. These emails are all fake and often contain links to spoof websites that contain pages that look like authentic eBay Motors web pages, but are not. The fake eBay sites might even ask you for personal information and then send you fake eBay “Personalized Payment” instructions.

Don’t be fooled! If you are shopping on Craigslist or another website that offers classified ads, you should follow the community [url http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams]warnings[/url] (such as these from Craigslist) and meet and pay the seller in person. And if you exchange emails with someone who claims to be an “agent” of eBay you should be very cautious. Fraudsters often send spoof emails that appear to be from eBay (or one of our partners), but are not.

Never pay with MoneyGram or Western Union. Western Union and MoneyGram are prohibited as a payment method on eBay Motors. eBay will never recommend that you use either to pay for a vehicle.

It is important to remember, eBay does not “validate” listings, provide escrow services, or make payment arrangements on behalf of sellers. To verify that an email claiming to be from eBay is legitimate you should sign in to your My eBay account and check your In Box. If the email is legitimate you will find a copy in your My eBay In Box. If you don’t find the same message in your In Box, it is fake.

If you have more questions about spoof emails and "phishing" fraud, or how to report suspicious listings/emails, please visit our [url http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/]Security Center[/url]. Also, at the top right corner of the eBay home page is a link to Live Help, where you can start a live chat session with an eBay customer service representative who can help you verify whether a listing is authentic.

If you feel you were defrauded when you were shopping on the Craigslist site you may use this [url http://sfbay.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/emailForm.cgi]link[/url] to contact Craigslist.
Message 1 of 310
309 REPLIES

Re: Craigslist Scams and Fraudulent Use of Vehicle Purchase Protection

in reply to Aug 10, 2013 7:36:48 PM
komalmannkomal
Thrill-Seeker

hi there 

im looking one car on atuo trader.the lady ask me that she is working in army , so we cannt see her car but she ask me for payment  by ebay.she said that ebay people will deliver the car.now i got one email from ebay for payment.i have aslo account wd ebay, when i check my inbox i did not find any email from ebay in my inbox.in ebay email the gave me invoice no. please let me know that if some doing froud to me or im safe.

Regards

komal

Message 2 of 310

in reply to Aug 13, 2013 1:37:46 PM
seemystuffonline
Trailblazer

komalmannkomal wrote:

hi there 

im looking one car on atuo trader.the lady ask me that she is working in army , so we cannt see her car but she ask me for payment  by ebay.she said that ebay people will deliver the car.now i got one email from ebay for payment.i have aslo account wd ebay, when i check my inbox i did not find any email from ebay in my inbox.in ebay email the gave me invoice no. please let me know that if some doing froud to me or im safe.

Regards

komal

komal,

If you have not guessed by now.  This is a SCAM. 

Even when I am telling a lie I am truthful. :-) Rick
Message 3 of 310

in reply to Aug 14, 2013 5:22:31 PM
hanelisabeth
Enthusiast
I am discussing buying a car, however she says that it will go through Ebay, but has taken it off of Ebay for sell. She assures me that it's still under the vehicle protection plan. Curious of I should believe?
Message 4 of 310

in reply to Aug 14, 2013 9:29:51 PM
legitimate_bidder
Trailblazer

Don't forget the free shipping and x-number of days to return it if you don't like it! Yesiree, bob....just send your cash off to a stranger in Romania.....I mean Anytown USA, with a good, clean-sounding all-American name like Carter or Smith or Johnson....and I'm sure a car will appear in your driveway within days! Aren't you the lucky one! Of all the millions of people on the interweb, you just happened to be the only one who lucked into this great deal!

Message 5 of 310

in reply to Aug 18, 2013 8:19:51 PM
fowadmuneer
Enthusiast

It is a scam.

Message 6 of 310

in reply to Aug 18, 2013 8:57:10 PM

hanelisabeth wrote:
I am discussing buying a car, however she says that it will go through Ebay, but has taken it off of Ebay for sell. She assures me that it's still under the vehicle protection plan. Curious of I should believe?

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/

It is a scam.  The page above will give you all the info that you need on it.

Message 7 of 310

in reply to Oct 18, 2013 6:36:37 PM
arimeli2012
Enthusiast

Yes its a fraud! She or he told me the same story. Thank God I called eBay customer service and they were able to help me, verify this scam. Please be careful when buying online.

Message 8 of 310

in reply to Oct 21, 2013 8:48:00 PM
stugotti1956
Pathfinder
Last Edited 02:25:43 PM lithnicnac

Gee, now I'm sure the scams will stop now that you posted this Sadie. Just a note...so you know that I know that you want us to believe ebay 'cares'... No one will ever visit your forum, people are just registering on ebay and buying vehicles on ebay motors clone sites. I think this year only ebay has lost over 2 million of their users due to the scammers messing up with ebay's image. I guess you should start putting some serious money on the line and ask the FBI to do a american proof video on youtube about how not to send money via PayPal or BillMeWhenIDie. haha.

So yeah, keep posting this scams warnings, Im sure you do your sallarys worth of work, " PROTECTING THE COMMUNITY LOLZ".

98% of people that hear about ebay are having second thoughts about buying anything. Soon that # will be 100% and ebay will no longer afford to keep its employees hired.

my 50 cents.

Message 9 of 310

in reply to Oct 22, 2013 9:15:30 AM
fruitacres
Guide

You do know Sadie's post is 4 years young and that by now Sadie may actually work for Craig?

This sig intentionally left blank

Message 10 of 310

in reply to Dec 11, 2013 2:00:33 PM
deepcbob
Enthusiast

Sounds like the 1999 Chevy truck, lifted, rims, dual exhaust, runs good, no dents/scratches for less than $1500.00 delivered to your door from Ft. Belvoir. But we must hurry, send the ebay payment through Walmart....                                      ...have you sent it yet?????...                  ...????

Message 11 of 310

in reply to Dec 11, 2013 2:03:13 PM
mr.elmwood
Guide
Um, this thread was dead and buried. Try to keep up.
Message 12 of 310

in reply to Dec 11, 2013 2:56:00 PM
silveradotrading
Thrill-Seeker

Hahahaa....

I have an ebay drop off store. I get at least 4-5 calls a month asking if these CL ads are legit and if ebay escrow will protect them.

When I tell them no, its a scam, I am usually asked if I am sure of that!

I tell the caller, send some money and find out!

Message 13 of 310

in reply to Dec 13, 2013 4:51:20 PM
deltamaster
Guide

silveradotrading wrote:

Hahahaa....

I have an ebay drop off store. I get at least 4-5 calls a month asking if these CL ads are legit and if ebay escrow will protect them.

When I tell them no, its a scam, I am usually asked if I am sure of that!

I tell the caller, send some money and find out!

Why would they call you if they were going to question your answer?

Message 14 of 310

in reply to Dec 14, 2013 2:00:59 PM
honestdom
Thrill-Seeker

...............................................................................Because they Can,!

Just my 3.3 cents or when the Cow's Come Home

amish.jpg

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 15 of 310

in reply to Dec 14, 2013 2:04:14 PM
deltamaster
Guide

You are sooooooooooooooooooo funny!

Message 16 of 310

in reply to Feb 16, 2014 1:55:00 AM
I was looking on Craigslist for a new car and I found a 2006 Honda civic for 1800 I contacted the lady selling the car she sent me more pictures and is telling me she can provide me with carfax and stuff like that and if I don't like the car I can get it refunded. But she said she is a military woman who is about to be deployed and can't talk on the phone right now. I'm asking if it is a scam or not. She's telling me she put the car on the eBay vehicle purchase thing. Is it a scam?
Message 17 of 310

in reply to Feb 16, 2014 1:56:07 AM
I was looking on Craigslist for a new car and I found a 2006 Honda civic for 1800 I contacted the lady selling the car she sent me more pictures and is telling me she can provide me with carfax and stuff like that and if I don't like the car I can get it refunded. But she said she is a military woman who is about to be deployed and can't talk on the phone right now. I'm asking if it is a scam or not. She's telling me she put the car on the eBay vehicle purchase thing.
Message 18 of 310

in reply to Feb 16, 2014 5:25:21 AM
atikovi
Guide

Does the lady in the pictures look pretty hot? If so, go for it.

Message 19 of 310

in reply to Feb 16, 2014 9:19:36 AM

HEY Na HEY NA;

Elmwood's back.

If only In spirit.

Message 20 of 310