cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Selling Info

Greetings All: I have a car to sell with the payment method to be Cash (In Person) but the listing says BIN. How does a listing like this complete due to the Cash payment method. Does a potential buyer go ahead and pay with PP, and then I refund when they show up with cash? Or do I allow a small PP deposit? What is the best course of action ? Thanks.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Car Selling Info

Ask the seller about the ez layaway plan and financing, via email.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@164nc,

Since you have listed the car as being available for shipping, you may get a buyer from outside your area.  If that happens, the new owner may want to have the car inspected, so a deposit should not be a requirement unless it is refundable. 

If the buyer is from outside your state, Cash may not be a good option, unless the buyer is going to pick up in person.  However a cashiers check from a nation wide bank Chase, BOA, etc, or other bank that has a presense in your town would be a viable option as you could take it there for verification, before releasing the vehicle to a shipping agent or buyer.  You may want to ask your bank or credit union about their cashiers check verification process, and their funds available time. I have completed out of state car sales at my bank branch, and had a bill of sale notorized by the bank.

Asking a person to pay with PayPal then doing a refund when someone shows up with cash/cashiers check, is asking the buyer to take a lot on faith.  I wouldn'y pay you anything until the vehicle was inspected and the driver was there to pick up the car and sees the properly signed title. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

This Volvo? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Volvo-850-/272838447215?hash=item3f8670506f:g:6sAAAOSwL4BZsaVC  You should have made the deposit a concurrent requirement with the buy it now to eliminate recreational bidders. Can't imagine anyone paying to ship that car or any buyer much more than a hundred miles away, but you never know. With all the issues mentioned, you'll be hard pressed to get near your asking price.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@atikovi,

How would a deposit help with a BIN listing to keep recreational bidders away?  The car being offered is a BIN listing, and as I stated any deposit should be refundable if the car doesn't pass an inspection.  If it pases as per the description, then the deposit can be forfeited by the buyer. 

The odometer reading alone would be a deal breaker for me.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@atikovi,

How would a deposit help with a BIN listing to keep recreational bidders away? 

Maybe since you don't sell here you are not aware of some people who place bids and win listings just for sport, and then never pay.  At least if a buyer is required to pay the deposit at the time they hit the Buy It Now, they will have paid the deposit and are less likely to just walk away.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@atikovi,

The car being offered is a BIN listing, and as I stated any deposit should be refundable if the car doesn't pass an inspection. 

The time to do an inspection is BEFORE you buy. Winning a car doesn't give the opportunity to inspect it afterwards and then negotiate or even back out of the deal.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@mudshark61369 wrote:

The odometer reading alone would be a deal breaker for me.

It's a low priced 20+ year old car. Condition is more important than the odometer reading.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@atikovi,

I do sell on ebay and know all about sport bidders, most of whom do not have a linked PayPal account, which is a buyer requirement he can set, as well as the one blocking bidders with 2 UP strikes in the last 12 months. They may not stop all sport bidders, but do cut down on them.

So `splain to me how a deposit helps a BIN listing.  A person either commits to buy the car, or not. 

Granted most listings are auctions as they should be for vehicles, which is where the OP has gone wrong in listing that car, especially with the things metioned that are wrong with it. IMO he'd be lucky to get $900 on CL, but that might be the better venue for him.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@mudshark61369 wrote:

So `splain to me how a deposit helps a BIN listing.  A person either commits to buy the car, or not. 

I was referring to Buy It Now with immediate deposit required if that wasn't clear. The listing won't end until the buyer sends the deposit. No sport bidder is going spend $100 or $500 just for sport.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

Would an offer received of $700 by a for cash dealer located here be considered a fair price?
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

New to Ebay motors, but not Ebay, and have had a lot of experience with "non paying buyers"--unfortunately. In fact, I have been edited by a mod of one forum for using the term "de*d be* t" one to many times to describe them a while back.
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

@164nc wrote:
Would an offer received of $700 by a for cash dealer located here be considered a fair price?

Run, don't walk, to grab that deal. I can buy newer S70s for $300 or $400 all day long around here.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

Crazy thought here, I know....Just curious.... This car seems to be in great condition, it has low miles and what I deem to be a very decent price for a car of this caliber. Why would you ever need to resort to eBay to move it? Kids are heading back to school/college, and this would be a great car for one of them. Why wouldn't you try CL/Locally first?  *No headaches, no hassles, and cash in hand.

*Yes, I realize....It is no perfect, world.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Car Selling Info

Granted....Some dickering would be needed for some of the radical repairs.  I work on my own cars, so no big deal for me, but time and money fo others

Message 15 of 30
latest reply