cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a car. What are the most important things I need to know?

Hi all.  I'm in the market for a car.  Right now I am only gathering knowledge and am not yet ready to buy because I don't feel prepared.  I'd like to switch to American made vehicle because after having a Volvo for so many years, I know it's expensive to maintain.  I'd like a car that I can drive into any repair shop and not be charged $1200 for something that's a $200 repair on an American model.

What do I need to know?  What questions should I be asking?

I'm looking for a 2015 to 2018 model, American car.  I don't know what kind of car, I know nothing about cars and am hoping I will get some good insights from the posters on this board.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

86 REPLIES 86

@haute_again wrote:

Hi all.  I'm in the market for a car.  Right now I am only gathering knowledge and am not yet ready to buy because I don't feel prepared.  I'd like to switch to American made vehicle because after having a Volvo for so many years, I know it's expensive to maintain.  I'd like a car that I can drive into any repair shop and not be charged $1200 for something that's a $200 repair on an American model.

What do I need to know?  What questions should I be asking?

I'm looking for a 2015 to 2018 model, American car.  I don't know what kind of car, I know nothing about cars and am hoping I will get some good insights from the posters on this board.

Thank you!

In the back of my mind.. I really think I want a cruiser (motorcycle).  I am at that age where I have pretty much no responsibilities.  I always wanted a bike, ever since i was in highschool on the back of my beau's Harley.  Throwing that out there... same questions as above:

What do I need to know and what questions should I be asking?

Message 2 of 87
latest reply

please do not get caught by the craigslist scam.!!!! do not even consider a car or bike that you find on craigslist offering to do the sale thru. ebay. !!!! other ebayers can probaly explain this better then i can & i hope someone will....GOOD LUCK!

Message 3 of 87
latest reply

@jbbowers12012 wrote:

please do not get caught by the craigslist scam.!!!! do not even consider a car or bike that you find on craigslist offering to do the sale thru. ebay. !!!! other ebayers can probaly explain this better then i can & i hope someone will....GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I'm not going through craigslist.  Smart suggestion.  I go through a certified dealer and use Carfax.  That much I do know!

Message 4 of 87
latest reply

@haute_again

How do you define American Made ?

VW has a plant here, as do many other makers.

I would suggest you go to the library, and look at consumer report, for the years in question.

They rate cars every year.

It is well known that shops will rip off women who know nothing about cars .

Find a friend who does know cars, and take him with you.

Let him do the talking, and you just act like you are a tag along.

And take him with you when you go to pick up.

Now i am not saying this as a sexist, but as a life long mechanic.

Young bar maid said her car started driving wonky, so she parked it.

I ask her if she had new tires put on, she said yes, i told her I could look at it.

Because I knew the lug nuts would be loose.

She has a mechanic come out he started to drive the car.

Both front wheels fell off and messed up her car big time.

I drive a 1990 Honda Civic, with 300,000 miles, 

They last forever, and break downs are rare.

Message 5 of 87
latest reply

Anything that new, no matter where it's made, once it's out of warranty, it'll be so expensive to repair that you may as well just consider it disposable. Everything now is festooned with so much electronics and computers which control EVERYTHING....even the simplest things which were once controlled by a simple mechanical switch are now controlled by a touchscreen whichc will cost thousands to replace when it goes out....and things like unserviceable transmissions, and engine parts which require that the whole engine or subframe be removed just to replace a part, kinda start making that Volvo seem like the new norm.

Message 6 of 87
latest reply

As someone who has serviced several thousand Volvos, I'd have to say that they are very straight-forward to service.

For those without the basis of comment, please review before commenting.

Message 7 of 87
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave  Something cheap to fix like a Ford or a Buik (not sure how to spell that)

Message 8 of 87
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

As someone who has serviced several thousand Volvos, I'd have to say that they are very straight-forward to service.

If it's the starter I'm OK.  I'll keep the car but I suspect it's the alternator which can be as expensive to fix as the value of the car.  It's ridiculous.  

Message 9 of 87
latest reply

@haute_again @tony1963

@haute_again wrote:

@tony1963 wrote:

If it's the starter I'm OK.  I'll keep the car but I suspect it's the alternator which can be as expensive to fix as the value of the car.  It's ridiculous.  

Tony, is there something that would make changing the alternator expensive ?

Other than the cost of the altternator, can't be that hard ?

Message 10 of 87
latest reply

An alternator on a Volvo is typically just the voltage regulator.  However, the alternator can be changed in about 90 minutes.

Message 11 of 87
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

An alternator on a Volvo is typically just the voltage regulator.  However, the alternator can be changed in about 90 minutes.

My neighbor and I tested the car with his portable machine but without being able to get the car to start there's no idling.  Without starting it sat at 5.5 volts.  The battery was fully charged.  No clicking noise when I turn the key.... but there have been electrical issues for some time now which is why i suspect it's the alternator.

Message 12 of 87
latest reply

@tony1963

Is the VR a firewall mount, or internal to the alt. ?

3 hrs shop time would sting.

Are the parts crazy expensive ?

I would have that alt on the kitchen table.

Message 13 of 87
latest reply

@haute_again

@haute_again wrote:

@sockmonkeydave  Something cheap to fix like a Ford or a Buik (not sure how to spell that)

There is no such thing as cheap to fix in these days, Ford, Buick, what have you.

Labor will be the big issue, they pack so much stuff under the hood,

It could take 2 hrs, just to get to the part, change the part, then put it all back on.

As far as what car has the cheapest parts, I am no help there.

Message 14 of 87
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave

An alternator for any old car these days costs $250 or more..... For a Volvo? HAhahaha! We're talking about cars, that back when fuel filters for every other car cost $7 (and many still do) a fuel filter for a Volvo would cost $40- and that was at the discount auto parts joint- not the stealership! 🙂

@haute_again

Well, 5.5 volts.... your battery is dead, for one. Could be the alternator or the voltage regulator not charging it, or even draining it down....but more likely you've got some other electrical accessory or wiring problem causing a drain. If the guy with the voltmeter can do a voltage draw test, you can remove fuses one by one and see if makes a difference, and narrow down where the problem is.

Like another poster stated, there really are no late model cars for which parts and/or labor are cheap anymore. Better off keeping what you have if it's just something relatively minor.

GM products are absolute disposable garbage (including late-model Buicks). Ford can be hit or miss, but they're really nothing great these days either. Even the Japanese cars aren't what they used to be. It's getting rough.....

Message 15 of 87
latest reply