cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer, Polish and Wax - Recommendations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 2014 Mustang 5.0 in what I think is called "Deep Impact Blue". It's showing the fine, swirly scratches in the paint pretty bad. In the morning and evening it looks fine but out in the sun it's looking pretty sad. I was considering having a detailing service deal with it but my thought is that the money I give them would likely buy all the stuff that I need to do it myself. Plus...it's a keeper. I'm planning to keep it so down the road I could use this stuff again.

I'm no stranger to rubbing out and polishing paint....but much more on motorcycle tanks ad fenders.

I have always done these by hand as the shape and overall size more or less dictates it. 

So I reckon the Mustang could benefit from a real buffing from a real buffer. Anyone have any recommendations on both a Buffer and any certain products? Dos and Don'ts? I am especially interested in good brand name and rpm for a Buffer? Which type buffing heads? And most especially which products such as polish, wax, etc., that will provide the best results. Swirls look very fine and only on surface of the clearcoat. Think it's something I can fix armed with the right stuff.  Thanks - 96

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Hey JR, howsabout some of that clay bar stuff for Mr. Hogwart? I've never tried it, but from what I've heard about it, the clay fills in the slight imperfections which make up swirls and scratches, leaving the finish perfectly smooth, so that the wax which is then applied just looks smooth and perfect.

The claybar will remove contaminates from the surface of your vehicle and they do very well. There are lots of us that have classic cars that have used it with very good results. It's time consuming, but will not get rid of scratches in the paint. 

As for machine polishing and buffing, just not a fan of it. Using 3 different rubbing compounds, its still removing the top layer of paint and it's not going to get rid of the swirls. The only time we machine polish/buff is after new paint is applied and it's color sanded with 2500 to 3000 grit sandpaper. Then we will apply by hand a wax that will also remove the swirls made by the buffer. 

I've seen very few people, professionally or amatuer, that can properly buff any vehicle. Regardless of how you buff it, there will still be swirl marks from the rubbing compound used. I still suggest waxing it by hand with a good wax a minimum of once per month or paint the car. There is a much finer grit in wax, whch is why it will take some time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I can recommend a wax for after you get done buffing and polishing and all: Collinite. $20 a can, but man, that stuff is GREAT, and lasts a LONG time.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

best buffer i have used is a Dewalt,variable speed so you wont BURN paint.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Plan on spending the entire day and you need to know what you're doing.  You will have to buff with ultra fine compound to get those marks to disappear.  Good 3M product is $40 a bottle.

By the time that you do it yourself, there might be a $100 difference between your actual cost and the cost of a professional detail.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Whatever you do, don't get a rotary buffer. It's for the pros and you could easily burn through the paint. Stick with a dual action polisher like http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g110v2-professional-dual-action-polisher/

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@atikovi - Thank you for posting the link and the info...I was not aware that there are "Buffers" and "Polishers". I am quite aware of the "burned paint" issue and can truly appreciate slow rpm.  The dual action sounds great but 1800 rpm still sounds fast to me.....

@cepclpi_ecwztwxzvc - I have several Dewalt tools. Always had real good luck with them as well...

@legitimate_bidder - Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. A real brand name. Will give it a try.....

@tony1963 - Thanks for your reply Tony. A whole day for one project doesn't sound too bad after all the other stuff I've done. Not afraid of $40.00 a bottle for product. In fact...I already figured good stuff is expensive and I'm already planning on needing several different products. Which 3M products do you like? I think I really just need to polish the clearcoat so I'm assuming a super-fine, slow cutting (if there is such a thing) polish may be the ticket. 

I should mention that I have used 3M Rubbing Compound and 3M Polishing Compound and Meguiars Polish before. Have wet sanded, rubbed and polished, and waxed my share of hot rods and harleys. But always by hand. Figured this time caveman try tool...haha.

The deck lid is very small and flat on these Mustangs. I figure I will start there. Stay away from the edges and all....do the polishing and waxing required to finish the deck lid then move on.....

Please, everyone is welcome to post his or her thoughts. If you have a brand you are happy with let me hear about it.  - 96.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok LB....just scored some Collinite #915....right here on Ebay.  A lot of good reviews on this stuff. Thanks for the tip - 96

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@Anonymous

You'll love that stuff, Hogwash 😉 - It leaves the nicest, smoothest shine I've ever seen- even on my old vehicles. It truly makes a huge difference- and if you give it two coats, the depth of shine is amazing. And even with one coat, it lasts a good long time. And I can only imagine buffing it up with a polisher!

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Do you watch the tv show Counting Cars? You might want to try sending a message to Roli from Counts Kustoms and see if he'll reply? He details their high priced cars and might have some tips to share. It's worth a shot.
https://www.facebook.com/Roli-at-Counts-Kustoms-273588309409041/

But here's a tip: the fine swirly scratches are typically from using a towel. Detailers that detail cars with high end paint jobs use a leaf blower (or similiar) to dry the car, never any kind of towel. That's what they do at Counts Kustoms and other car shops. That prevents the swirly scratches which is especially important for a show car. If you get those scratches removed, never use a towel again or they will just return.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good point nova7000....I have been using terry towels for drying. No doubt that is the cause of the swirls. I already have a blow dryer for my harleys...will start using it for the car as well.... - 96

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

I would never use a buffer or polisher for removing the scratches in your paint. Apply by hand a very high quality wax, such as what LB has recommended. Apply it once per month, eventually, most of he scratches will disappear but not completely.

Using a machine will only remove layers of clear/paint, that protect your car's metal. Remove too much and not only liquids like snow and water will go through the thin paint/clear but also the ultra-violet rays of the sun. Remember, the manufacturer only applies enough paint to meet their specifications, based upon years of their research data.

Some of those swirls can be in the surface metal and primer coats beneath your exterior paint/clear, caused by shrinkage. I don't believe it is, but you've seen vehicles with bad paint  peeling off or becoming very dull. 

When you apply your wax, wear a pair of polarized sunglasses. They will show the imperfections, where you may have missed, etc. They are great for looking at paint that has metalic in it for streaks, metalics that have stood up or laid down and more. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Hey JR, howsabout some of that clay bar stuff for Mr. Hogwart? I've never tried it, but from what I've heard about it, the clay fills in the slight imperfections which make up swirls and scratches, leaving the finish perfectly smooth, so that the wax which is then applied just looks smooth and perfect.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Clay bar is not a scratch filler. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+a+clay+bar+do

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I would recommend spending all day, then spending the next week trying to convince yourself that it looks better.

Putting wax on by "hand" is not going to remove the swirl marks, it will only glaze over them for a while and then they they are again.  

OR

Drop the car off at a professional.  You will likely need two or three different compounds.  A speed buffer will get it done.  But, the work is not for the ameture.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

I'm the ultimate do-it-yourselfer. I do everything myself- even practicing medicine on my own personal body....but I have to agree with Tony on this. You can wash, polish and wax your car by hand...but when it comes to anything more involved than that, when dealing with paint and clear coat which is SO easily damaged, it is well worth it to leave it to a pro.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply