cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER BEWARE Canadian made cars

before you buy a car get the VIN number and run it and make sure it is not made in Canada. Chrysler and a few other automakers will not warranty the car. These dealers will sell these cars at Great unbelievable prices and they don't disclose that there is no warranty from the manufacturer. They did this to protect they're dealers in the US from Black Market sellers buying canadian-made cars in undercutting the dealers. I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum and I went through hell to have a gas tank replaced under warranty that was causing serious stalling issues making the car very unsafe to drive. My advice is if the car is made in Canada do not purchase it some of these safety recalls will happen long after the car has been bought and for the lifetime of the car. Run the VIN number make sure the car was made in the United States. I've seen models on eBay as new as 2016 made in Canada with unbelievable prices not fully disclosing. I think it should be illegal and I have emailed the FTC and my congressman.

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

I don't know of any eleven year old car that still has the factory warranty. You must be talking about a warranty purchased for a used car. I would never even consider buying such a warranty. They are notoriously useless.

To have the fuel pump or gas tank replaced in a eleven year old car is the norm. Doesn't matter if it's from Canada, the USA or Timbuktu.

Message 2 of 97
latest reply

It was a safety recall. Instead of having the government put a recall on it Chrysler did a lifetime warranty on the gas tank. I have been seeing cars 2016 model on eBay and I run the VIN on them and they're Canadian made and they will have no warranty from the factory period or any future safety recalls or fixes you don't get. I went through hell I finally got craster to replace that tank because the stalling is a very dangerous condition. I have seen these 2016 models with really good prices on eBay and now I know why they're selling all these canadian-made cars that's actually a black market. I'm surprised eBay as allowing this to continue on here because it's a pretty crooked deal I have contacted them and I have already contacted my congressman and the FTC a while ago but I can see it still happening. There's somebody selling a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT for only $20,000 it's a dealer and then I ran the VIN and of course it's a Canadian made car. They're not going to give you this disclosure. If you're going to buy a car fairly new you need to run the VIN if it's made in Canada don't buy the car unless you're getting it for free

Message 3 of 97
latest reply

Big difference between a safety recall and a warranty. Now what your saying is if I buy a brand new car that was made in Canada it will not have a factory warranty. Really?

I had a few different cars that had safety recalls. Some the auto company fixed with no problem. Others you had to fight tooth and nail to get them to fix it. Remeber, all these companies have employees on the payroll whose only job is to limit the damage the recall does. Declaring a life time warranty was just a way to try to limit the damage. Not sure it's a Canadian thing.

I do know that they had a valve problem in the tank that caused the problem when over filled.

Message 4 of 97
latest reply

You will have no warranty if the car is in the US. It has to stay in Canada.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-06-02/travel/0206020080_1_chrysler-vehicles-warranty

Message 5 of 97
latest reply

So, really- if you saved so much by getting a really good ridiculously low price, just do the repair yourself, or have it done at an independent shop. Most safety recalls are for pretty minor, easily remedied issues. Your gas tank was one of the more major ones- but still not that big of a deal- and you (or a decent independent mechanic) could probably find a cheaper work-around to fix the issue.

Oftentimes, if ya wanna save money, you have to accept a little inconvenience or that things won't always be perfect.

Heck, I've gotten recall notices for half the vehicles I've ever owned....and I've never taken a one in to get fixed. Going to the dealer is more of a hassle than anything. If they had been anything I had actually wanted fixed, I would have installed the washer, or moved the bracket, etc. myself.....

Message 6 of 97
latest reply

Mine was a $2,000 fix if I had to pay for it replacing the gas tank is in easy and it's not cheap. Just letting people know you have no warranty. If the motors got 10,000 miles on it and something goes wrong with it you're on your own anything there is no warranty whatsoever on a canadian-made car. It has to stay in Canada. Most of people don't have the means to do the repairs. For me to fix my vehicle myself I have to have the ability to get underneath that car. If you live in an apartment you cannot do repairs. I just want people to be aware there is no warranty of any kind on a Canadian made car in the United States for many car makers period Honda and Hyundai also will not warranty a canadian-made car that is in the United States they must remain in Canada

Message 7 of 97
latest reply

LIke I said. you are talking about used cars from Canada. A 2006 no less. The car or truck has to be bought used in Canada and then brought to the U.S.  The case of the Dodge is are rare thing I wold think. Instead of a recall They claimed a special life time warranty with limitations to get out of fixing a 2006 automobile.

I would have never even thought to check for a warranty on a 2006.  Like LB said. I woiuld have fixed it myself and moved on.  I've changed the fuel pump in my Suburban three times in the last decade. I never once thought to complain that it wasn't under warranty.

Message 8 of 97
latest reply

You need to find a new shop!  First of all the problem is a bad valve in the fuel pump assembly. Unless the tank has a hole in it there would be nothing wrong with it.  You own a 2006 and expect a warranty on it. If I lived in a apartment and had no way to work on a car I would own a new one.

Message 9 of 97
latest reply

I already posted a link in here where Chrysler will not warranty anything on a canadian-made car in the US. You didn't read my link obviously period you can buy a 2016 car and you will have no warranty on it and that's what's going on on eBay as we speak. People need to be aware of nor warranty

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-06-02/travel/0206020080_1_chrysler-vehicles-warranty

Message 10 of 97
latest reply

The repair required to brand new gas tank it was something internal with seals. You sound like a dealer or something because you keep defending selling cars with no warranty on them. Most people want warranties on vehicles. This is brand new vehicles not just used. You buy a 2016 car and it's made in Canada the warranty will not be honored if the car is in the United States. I say somewhere around a 95% would be my guess a people who buy a new car want to have a warranty on it. And low mileage used cars still have manufacturer warranties on them. The repair that was done on my car would have easily gone over $2,000 if I had to pay for it

Message 11 of 97
latest reply

I have checked several 2016 Dodge Challengers for sale in the u.s. have low prices. I've run the VIN on them on the Dodge Vin Check website. This can be done for free. There are made in Canada. Those cars have no warranty on them. I just want people to be aware of that. If they want to buy a car with no warranty and take a chance that's fine but I just want them to know. I don't think those cars should be able to be sold in the US because like my car the stalling issue is a pretty severe issue and makes the car unsafe to drive. A car that the maker will not warranty should not be allowed to be sold in the US. You can bet these car dealers are not telling the buyers there's no warranty on the car period that's pretty crooked don't you think?

Message 12 of 97
latest reply

I don't buy Mopars, so there is no issue for me.

I did buy a used 2012 Chevy Silverado LXT 3500 just over a year ago that was transported to the US from Canada. In fact, over the past few years there have been a lot of disel pickups that have been transported from Canada to the US because of the demand for them. I carried the complete balance of the factory warranty and was used earlier this year when I had an issue with the DEF system.

I also looked at Ram and Ford, they too carried the balance of the factory warranty with them and on one of the Rams, it was put in writing by the dealer. I didn't buy the Ram because the dealer and I couldn't agree on the price. 

The article in the link to the Chicago Tribune is an old one, would you happen to have a recent document from the manufacturer that states what the newspaper  says? With all the fake news, it doesn't pass the smell test with me. There are thousands of cars and truck that go across the border each way.

Message 13 of 97
latest reply

I believe that the OP is seriously confused.

Message 14 of 97
latest reply

Here is an article from 2007. This is from my own personal experience which happened last year on my 2006 Magnum these canadian-made cars are these great deals and they're not being fully disclosed about the warranty situation Chrysler is not the only one that will not honor warranties in the United States on canadian-made cars hear something from 2007

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/american-consumers-should-beware-of-great-deals-on-canadian-cars...

Message 15 of 97
latest reply