cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arbitration requirement from dealer at 11th hour

Hi, I bought a car on ebay from a dealer, non refundable deposit. Sent loan checks, now they tell me prior to releasing the vehicle to the shipper that I am required to sign an arbitration agreement.  They didn't disclose they required binding arbitration as a condition of the sale in the auction listing. do I have any options other than to walk away and lose my deposit?  I understand a non refundable deposit but  requiring binding arbitration without prior disclosure seems questionably legal.  They have the checks, they have the car, they have a signed bill of sale, they won't release the car til i sign the arbitration agreement.   Is there any scenario where the non refundable deposit is refundable due to seller changing the terms of sale?  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

They can't do that.

Problem is: What to do about it. If you don't pay the entire amount, then Ebay wont return your deposit if they don't send the car, because "you didn't pay". I guess the thing to do is to pay in full, but don't sign the arbitration Bee Ess- then if they don't release the car, Ebay'll get after it- but considering the dealer's behavior, that's a pretty scary thing, 'because this dealer sounds pretty shady, and not someone to risk your money with.

I'd give Ebay a call before proceeding- and make sure that you talk to someone in the Motors Dept.  or Vehicle Purchase Protection dept. ONLY

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

A binding arbitration agreement? That is a agreement that if there's a problem a arbitrator will decide the outcome? Who picks the arbitrator?  Sounds ridiculous. I wouldn't sign any such thing. Like LB says, try to get some one in ebay motors to look into this!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Assuming this is an as is deal so once you own it it's yours, so there would be no need for any arbitration anyway. Did you check it out beforehand?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Assuming this is an as is deal so once you own it it's yours, so there would be no need for any arbitration anyway. Did you check it out beforehand?

Unless there was fraud or title issues...... Just the dealer trying to strong-arm the OP into signing such a thing by holding the deal hostage, kinda indicates that the dealer is shady.....

Message 5 of 5
latest reply