cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Ford Bronco experts here?

I picked this up at a local swap meet. The seller told me that this was removed from a late 80's Ford Bronco, and that this was a special high performance engine computer. My research has turned up similar parts, but not the same. I have also not come across a part with the extra little thing on it which is attatched by velcroe.

I know that this is an engine computer for a 1987-1989 Ford Bronco, but I have not been able to verify that this is a special performance part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

There is no such thing.  By the time that this device was made, the Clean Air Act was in full swing and you might be able to put in a "chip" that could alter the factory specs very slightly, but what you have is a plain vanilla engine control module.

"Chips" and performance mods generally dont work on computer controlled cars.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Factory Chips in Some ECU's can be Tweeked.  Not likely for those year Ford's though.  I am not an expert on Bronco's but in general Ford used a rudimentary chip in thier older cars which could not be tweeked for performance.

Tony is probably right, it is likely a regular ECU.  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Looks like a cheap-o after-market replacement ignition computer to me..... On the Fords just prior to the years you mentioned, they called their electronic ignition system "Duraspark II"...not sure what this next generation was called....but there's always Google.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

(Not related to the part, but):

My expert advice? Don't rear-end a Ford Bronco when you're 19 with no car insurance... Years of legal shenanigans ensue...

open_mouth I'd almost forgotten about all that... open_mouth

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

the NEXT gen. was the eec-iv,or TFI-remember the module on the distubitor?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

after mkt. modifed for mud bog/hill climbing etc.-will-can-does alter ign. timing-fuel pulse-would require colder thermostat/resistor for more fuel-modified exh..made for a play toy,not your daily driver.basic part no:on a Ford pcm/ecu is 12A650-i did retire from a Ford dealer,was there 32 years.tag says 87-89 150-250,bronco 302 efi-auto (all)-there is no OEM such thing,would only pretain to 60 pin connector.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@cepclpi_ecwztwxzvc wrote:

the NEXT gen. was the eec-iv,or TFI-remember the module on the distubitor?

No...I don't remember. Ironically, I've been driving Ford trucks for the last 30 years....but amazingly, I've never had one from that generation. 🙂 Thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

hard to imagine you didnt have a prob. with ANY tfi module on the ones you drove-back in the day there was class action law suit against Ford due to enormous problems with the modules.possible you didnt know,but you did have one of the TFI design.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

hard to imagine you didnt have a prob. with ANY tfi module on the ones you drove-back in the day there was class action law suit against Ford due to enormous problems with the modules.possible you didnt know,but you did have one of the TFI design.

No, I mean: I never owned any Ford trucks from that generation. I went from carburated (Did have some problems with Dura-spark...when it was wet outside) to the port-injected. Never owned any 87-97's.

Although, I think just about all American manufacturers had electronic/ignition control problems to a greater or lesser extent in those days.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

yeah-a lot of people (like me)would carry a spare module to prevent being broke down

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

yeah-a lot of people (like me)would carry a spare module to prevent being broke down

That was the beauty of the older, simpler systems- you could just carry a spare, and you'd be good. I learned that  when I had a TBI 454 Chevy truck..... A $30 ignition module that goes inside the distrib with 2 screws is darn handy to keep in the glove compartment!

Actually never had a problem with all my Fords though- except for the Dura-sparks when it was wet out- and then, a new module, or sealing the module in silicone, etc. wouldn't help.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I carried a spare in my Ford trucks at all times. Saved me or some one else more than once. I have a 1992 right now but never had a problem with it.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

That was the beauty of the older, simpler systems- you could just carry a spare, and you'd be good. I learned that  when I had a TBI 454 Chevy truck..... A $30 ignition module that goes inside the distrib with 2 screws is darn handy to keep in the glove compartment!

Actually never had a problem with all my Fords though- except for the Dura-sparks when it was wet out- and then, a new module, or sealing the module in silicone, etc. wouldn't help.

Yea LB. Love my Suburban but I do carry a spare module, cap, rotor and the torque driver to change them. If you don't your asking for trouble. I'd carry a spare fuel pump also if the tank wasn't such a pain to drop. I seriously thought about making a trap door in the floor so I could get to it with out dropping the tank, Forty two gallon tanks are a pain to drop!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

HAhaha, Mike! I've thought about doing the trap door thing on a lot of vehicles in the past! Can't bring myself to do it on my current Excursion though- but I don't even want to think about messing with that 44 gallon tank!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply