cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yamaha xj650 muffler replacement

woodsplitterman
Enthusiast
Got a 1981 xj650 Yamaha Maxim that the previous owner butchered. He removed the 2 piece manifolds on both sides and installed a 4-into-1 setup. The bike sounds like a gas lawnmower. He must have been looking for the "crotch rocket" sound. I can't afford to replace the entire exhaust system so I'm looking for a single muffler that will make the bike sound like a bike and not a lawnmower. The present muffler is so beat and rusted I can't identify it. O/D on the existing manifold pipe is 2 1/4". Anyone out there offer suggestions?
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

bazango
Guide
JC Whitney has cheap slip-ons.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Check with BUB. They made many aftermarket pipes and headers for bikes from the 1970's up.

Low priced but servicable. (I've run a set on my 920 for almost 20 years)

Full systems or slip-ons.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
-Douglas Adams

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.”
- Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Being intentionally vague and repeating Parrot Points adds little to nothing to the discussion.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

cycle_doc_01
Explorer

I did not know if you knew this but a 4 into 1 exhaust from any year 650/700/750 maxim or 650/750/900 seca will fit..and sound good as well I have a seca 750 with a kerker 4 into 1  it sounds great but not too loud...the cheapest new one is a  MAC exhaust..but used ones are around for a reasonable price...hope this helps

Message 4 of 4
latest reply