cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best/cheapest way to ship a motorcycle?

magnump.c.
Enthusiast
I am buying a motorcycle off ebay. I want to know what the cheapest way to ship a bike from 16323 to 53014. If anyone knows any good shipping companies, please email me at: nickschweitzer@hotmail.com
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What is the best/cheapest way to ship a motorcycle?

Good one *ucktrixer, you should be on TV ......

..... then I could turn you off.
Message 46 of 69
latest reply

Maybe truckfixers and wydeglyde should post how many miles/months they rode in the last year, I think that would be interesting...and then they can tell us what part of the country they live in as well.!
Message 47 of 69
latest reply

10,000 miles so far this year, starting in January straight thru to today, up here in Alberta, Canada.
Message 48 of 69
latest reply

truckfixers
Enthusiast
I'm a ACD for the GWRRA chapter in Chattanooga,Tn and have certification for 120,000 mi. and cert for 26,000 for last year. My "Wing" currently has 103,000+ mi. on it with only scheduled preventive maintenance completed on it & NO MAJOR REPAIRS HAVE EVER HAD TO BE MADE TO IT.
I'm only a beginner, though. I bought my first bike in 1956.
Message 49 of 69
latest reply

I was an ACD, Chapter Director, Provincial Director and finally a Regional Director for the GWWRA (responsible for 4 Provinces and 2 Territories). In 1991 we rode with our 3 Daughters (age 7, 14 & 16) to WingDing in Tulsa.

I taught motorcycle classes nearly every weekend for 2 1/2 months this spring.

I am the Safety Officer and Road Captain for my HOG Chapter.

My Dyna has 55,000 miles, no problems no major repairs, and I did 80% of the maintenance myself.

I don't put down other peoples rides!
Message 50 of 69
latest reply

I was at hotel where the 3Flags ended this year, it is about 1500 ft from here. Anyway there were a lot of Goldwings and a lot of Harleys plus other bikes, pretty sure most of them got there under their own power. At least a few of the Harleys had simple bolt on the handlebars windshields no real fairings. I talked to one fellow rode his HD it did not have much touring gear on it, his partners Goldwing, I had to get him to explain what the extra stuff on the bars was. 1 camera mt, 2 radio mounts, a GPS mount..that was all between the bars.

More important though they all had fun and most of them made it..to me more important THAT you ride Than WHAT you ride.

Gotta admit though I would not mind riding the 3 Flags if I had the chance..
Message 51 of 69
latest reply

Amen, Bros.
Message 52 of 69
latest reply

I would love to do Three Flags myself. I have several friends that have done it, some more than once. One of these days I need to get my name in the draw.
Message 53 of 69
latest reply

I just looked at the website. The 2005 Three Flags is from Tijuana to Calgary (my home town). I'm sending an entry in, hope I get my name drawn!
Message 54 of 69
latest reply

bruddamac
Enthusiast
Wyde, do you think you would recover from the TJ hangover by the time you reached Canada? It sounds like a great ride {72 Guzzi 850 Eldorado and 73 Comando}
Message 55 of 69
latest reply

Only one way to find out ...... lol

truckfixer, sure took us off topic here didn't he! Any further discussion on 3 Flags should go to the chat thread pinned to the top of the board.
Message 56 of 69
latest reply

kejma47
Enthusiast

For starters, do not waste time with Uship, which you'll find giving a so-called "quote" on Ebay motorcycle listings.  I wasted a week by having them put my delivery up for bid.  Do not get involved with brokers who will represent that they are motorcycle shippers when in reality all they do is charge a fee to try to find a trucker.  Find an independant trucker with whom you can deal direct.  Google Erv Boorn, a trucker who operates out of Texas and hauls anywhere in the US.  He is scheduled to deliver my motorcycle and has excellent references.

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

AVOID HaulBikes, shipping time estimates are just a come-on to get your money, then wait forever to get the bike. I signed with them 7/10/12 its now 7/30 and they just picked it up 2 days ago.

It currently is in a depot and I might get it in 2-3 weeks.

I could have pushed it to Md from Ne in less time. 

Message 58 of 69
latest reply

rikkitafoya
Enthusiast

I've heard that the most cost effective way to ship a motorcycle is to use airport to airport air-shipping services. You'll need to pack the motorcycle in the same fashion as if you were shipping via boat (put it in a secure crate). Here's an article about shipping motorcycles overseas that might help http://www.michaelpadway.com/travel-and-touring/how-to-ship-your-motorcycle-overseas/

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

I checked in forward air and from los angeles to portland oregon its like $550 thats using their crates.... I have a kawasaki 636 to ship is this the best way?
Message 60 of 69
latest reply