cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vincent Black Shadow

jpbcpa
Enthusiast
I am sitting on an original 1949 Vincent Black Shadow and I am considering listing it on EBAY. I am concerned that there is very little traffic of this type of bike. Does anyone have suggestions of how to best list it. The machine has been in storage for 30 years and I am not really sure if I should first have it checked out by an expert to properly describe the bike. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Message 1 of 116
latest reply
115 REPLIES 115

Vincent Black Shadow

Do you have a price in mind? You can mail me if you don't want to post it here.
Message 46 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

Me too! I wanna be in on the private bids, and I promise I will always take care of the bike in honor of your father.
I have been drooling over the Vincent down at the new Arlen Ness Enterprizes meusuem in Dublin, CA for days!
Seriously, though, I would consider if I were you, of donating the bike to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Ohio.
Everyone should get a chance to see such a beauty !!!
Message 47 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

Sorry about the "Honor your Father" jpbcpa, that was the other person that had a Vincent on the posts....

Hey, Wydeglyde,
"You could have a second career doing ebay scams.lol "
Why do you think I'm gone for long periods of time?
It's to set up my "Overseas Scams" LOL
Message 48 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

jpbcpa: Unless I were already extremely wealthy, I surely wouldn't donate it anywhere! I would auction it, somehow. No matter what you sold it for privately, you would never know if you got what the market would bear - what it's 'worth'. The way prices have been going crazy on antique bikes lately, there's no telling what it might bring! As to where/how to auction it, that's a matter for a lot of thought. It would probably bring the highest price at one of the high-zoot auction places - Christie's, Sotheby's etc. in one of their bike auctions. I'm sure there are automotive-only auctions that could give similar results - did you ever see the prices they get for cars in the Barrett-Jackson auctions on Speed Channel?!? The J. Wood auction at Daytona would probably realize a good price also (losts of foreign buyers), but that's coming up pretty soon and I would think that you should allow time for an auctioneer to really give it a lot of advance publicity (Daytona '06?) I wouldn't do it at J. Wood/AMA Vintage Days - things don't bring the money there that they do at Daytona.

The other thing you have to consider is the commission you will have to pay an auctioneer. I don't know what the typical percentage is, but that's money you don't get, and would run into thousands of dollars. In that respect, eBay would be great - it would only cost you $60 (plus any extra features) to sell it, no matter how much it brings. EBay carries its own set of problems, though, most notably scammers. Also, if you sell it yourself on eBay, you're going to have to deal with about a zillion emails wanting you to end the auction early, asking questions about the bike - both legitimate and stupid/time-wasting - and trying to get paid legitimately. I wouldn't accept anything except cash (get a counterfeit pen) or wire transfer to your bank account. Another question: Are the 'money's-no-object' buyers that inhabit the high-end auctions looking at eBay? I don't know.

As to how you should prepare it, I don't think you could possibly go wrong by making it look its best - cleaning and polishing. Getting it running? As long as it turns over without any untoward noises, has good compression and you can give prospective buyers an good idea of its history, it might not make that much difference in the price. On the other hand, it certainly couldn't hurt the price if it runs well. If you know it was running well when it was put away and know what you're doing, a complete going over (fresh oil - checking carefully for water or sludge in the old, valve adjustment, check timing, inspect/clean carbs, fresh gas) wouldn't be hard to do and, if nothing else, would give you the satisfaction of hearing it run! Someone earlier mentioned possible internal corrosion. Maybe, but if it's been in the dry and the outside's not corroded, why would the inside be? If you don't want to tackle it yourself, then you get into cost/trust issues. Whom do you entrust it to? Certainly to someone with a national rep as a Vincent mechanic, not the local bike shop. Will an 'expert's' fees be offset in final price realized? I can't say. If you elect to use an auctioneer, you might be well advised to contact them with it as it is, and follow their advice regarding what to do to it. They want to make as much as possible in commission, so they're not likely to give you advice that will hurt the sale price!

Do your homework, and good luck with it! All this JMHO. Jealously, m-cstuff4u

Message 49 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

The J. Wood auction is good if you really want to sell your bike. Just consign it with no reserve and it'll sell. It might not sell for as much as it should, but it'll sell. The majority of buyers at the J. Wood Daytona auction are average Joe's looking for a good deal. There's a sellers premium AND a buyers premium (this lowers the selling prices). I consigned 2 of my Sprints with them one year (with a reserve). The highest bid on either bike was $800 (nowhere even near my reserve). I sold BOTH of them a couple of months later through Walneck's, and got my asking price (it was the same as my reserve at the auction) on both of them.
Message 50 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

dm0347
Enthusiast
Your bike is valued between 37k-50k. as it sits
Message 51 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

"Your bike is valued between 37k-50k. as it sits"

More like 37 Kilos.........
Message 52 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

dm0347
Enthusiast
This is the results of a recent auction

1952 Vincent Black Shadow Lot#367 $44,000 2 Y
1950 Vincent Comet Lot#186 500cc $29,800 1 Y
1948 Vincent HRD Rapide Lot#368 $27,250 3 Y
1954 Vincent Lightning Race Bike Lot# 382R 1000cc $27,000 3 Y
1953 Vincent Rapide Lot#382 1000cc $15,500 4 N
Message 53 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

jpbcpa
Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will not attempt to tinker with it, or even clean it up for that matter. Seems to be a lot of interest in the "original virgin" aspect of the bike. As it stands now, I am reluctant to bring it to EBAY due to the number of scams that seem to be taking place. I anticipate that this machine will go for close to 50k but I will not be surprised to see it fetch more.

Again, thanks for all of your help. Even you non believers.
Message 54 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

I knew I had a picture someplace...

Message 55 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

And another one, from one of my favorite artists,
Message 56 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

Right on, Trident, I stole your pictures for my own Arcives...can't seem to find the photos I took at the Arlen Ness Museum in Dublin, CA. They really have a beautiful Vincent there upstairs...drool...
Message 57 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

Hi. No it is not the same bike as the one my sister and I have.
Message 58 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

bazango
Guide
Dear Mr. jpbcpa:

Allow me to introduce myself. I am coming to you from Nigeria, where I am the Minister of Antiquities and Tire Reclamation. My client in Sweden is please to purchase your fine motorcycle for the price that you require. We will provide shipping, so that is not your responsibility. We will send check for the amount directly to you bank. Because of an agreement between my country (Nigeria) and Sweden, we must send check for very much money. Balance of money is to be return to our office by the wire transfer. Please rest assure this is on the above-board. No scam is involved. Please send us detail so we can accomplish transaction.

Hah!
Message 59 of 116
latest reply

Vincent Black Shadow

Uh huh. Right. I get those million dollar schemes about once a month. Suitcases full of money.........LOL
Message 60 of 116
latest reply