cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunder Mountain Custom

berniemack2
Enthusiast
I am looking at a Blackhawk 240 Thundermoutain Custom Harley bike but was surprised as to how much these bike cost and what some of the one year old preowned bikes cost. I am seeing bikes for sale (2005) thta were purchased for $35,000 in 2005 and are selling now for about $25,000.

Does anyone know if these bikes are worth it?
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Thunder Mountain Custom

These bike are not Harleys in no way shape or form...

Wait another year it will be at $12k then.....

There is at least a dozen companies offering these "chopper" clones....

While a lot of them look ok I don't think any of them would match HDs reliability...

I have heard many horror stories of how owners have had to wait months for replacement parts for bikes that have been dropped..

Unless you do ALL your own maintenance you may have trouble finding a shop that will work on it, for even minor repairs.....
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

"Worth it" is in the eyes of the beholder. One of the advantages of Thunder Mountain bikes are that they utilize Harley engines and trannys, and are sold and serviced through select Harley dealers, so you at least have a chance of getting something fixed if you incur a breakdown. Prices are probably comparable to other custom bikes, as well as the fast depreciation. Depreciation only matters if you intend to sell it, or in buying a used one.

Harley gets a comparable price for their factory custom Screamin' Eagle models, which would hold their value better.
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

Here's a link for Thunder Mountain bikes.

http://www.thundermountaincustoms.com/aboutus.htm

Note the end....

Although Harley-Davidson® components are utilized in the production of Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles, we are an independently owned and operated company. Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles, Inc is not in any way affiliated with, nor supported by, the Harley-Davidson® Motor Company.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

flyingzardos
Enthusiast
I own a 2004 Thunder Mountain Baditude 240.
I purchased it new last year. Harley fully warranties and maintaines these bikes. They are the only custom that this is true with. I love the bike. It has taken 2nd place in two shows under the "custom" class. This was within the first two weeks of owning the bike. It is an awesome machine. You get what you pay for. Just do a Google search on Thunder Mountain bikes and learn how well they hold their value. They are loaded with Screaming Eagle parts. This is one bike you will want to modify little as you will be pleased with what you get standard for the money. The big problem is that everyone will want your bike. Invest in a LoJack and security system if you get one.
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

djs_dog
Scout
No offense, but, it couldn't been much of a "custom motorcycle" show if a production thunder mountain bike won anything. They are nice bikes but there is nothing show spectacular about them.
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

The "judges" at many ride in shows nowadays are totally clueless as to what custom means. Lotsa chrome, bolt-on accessories, and/or a fancy paint job on an otherwise stock bike passes for "custom" at most of those shows.
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

I kinda gotta concur with Gearhead and the Djsdog. I've seen a bunch of bike shows the last few years, that are just a joke. I'm sure that it's an awesome bike, more power to ya, ride the wheels off it, have fun. But just because it won a couple of shows doesn't mean much. The word "custom" has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people. It's right up there with "old school" or "chopper".
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

kathey2
Enthusiast
I've owned many different bikes, such as Big Dog, Thunder Mountain Custom, and a few independent makers, and I enjoy the Thunder Mountain the most. I have no problems with warranty work, servicing, getting parts. I simply go to the local Harley dealer as the bike is built of 90% Harley parts, and get what I need. If you compare this manufacturer to the otheres, they use the best parts out there. Baker 6 Speed trans, Supertrapp exhaust, Harley components. Look what Big Dog uses and you'll see the difference. Big Dog is a nice bike, for the money, I like my Thunder Mountain.
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

kathey2
Enthusiast
Bernie,

Check out the Durango model, they start at $26,995 new.
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

longrider999
Enthusiast
kathey2,welcome to MD.is the thunder mountain custom a bike with an extended front end?why do you like it better than a harley?the longRIDER
Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

If the title does not state Harley Davidson then it's not a Harley.

I note that a look at some completed eBay auctions of a few Thunder Mountain bikes had no buyers even with 10-15k BINs on them so depreciation must fall into the horrendous category.
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

kathey2
Enthusiast
Longrider, I wanted a chopper again, and Harley doesn't offer one, so with with Thunder Mountain because of the Harley Components used, and the fact it can be serviced at any Harley dealership. When compared to Big Dog, which are nice, but not as many facilities around if you need them. Resale is not as good as Harley, and I don't think any mass produced bike will ever match them in resale value. If you don't get a Harley, might as well get something that has a lot of Harley components.
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

kathey2
Enthusiast
ripsmc, Your right it's not a Harley. Harley took thier shot at a spin off of the Thunder Mountain Blackhawk 240 and get into the fat back game. They came up with the Rocker, and Rocker C which got poor reviews, and not selling as well as they thought. I personally like it, just wasn;t quite was I after this round. It just doesn't have the rake, and extended front end I was looking for. No bike will hold it's resale value like a Harley, no disputing that.
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Thunder Mountain Custom

I have a Baditude 240 and it is a great bike, it may not have a harley vin but it is just as good.Since I also own 2 more harleys and ride a lott I think its fair to say I have first hand knowledge. as for resale even harleys depreciate if you bought em new.My Thundermountain has never been on a trailer unlike many other brands and is very reliable not to mention 103 screaming eagle quick. buy it you will like it!
Anthony
Message 15 of 46
latest reply