cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech site. I need help

hawgpen
Enthusiast
Is there any H.D. web site that I can go to and get answers to my questions from people who really know what they are talking about? No disrespect, but some of the answers I've received are from those who don't no, they just guess.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Tech site. I need help

Well, it depends on what you need to know. You could ask your question right here if you want, there are some extremely knowledgable people right here on the boulevard. There is a spot on Bandits Bikernet called "your shot" where they will answer almost any question you have within 24 hours. There are some other good sites, but it depends on what type of question you have. Is it about a stock Harley? Or a question about a custom Harley application? Go ahead and post your question here, we'd love to try and help.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

Quite a few of the aftermarket parts manufacturers, such as S&S, Keith Black, Branch Flowmetrics, Comp Cams, Crane, etc., have tech departments that are generally more than willing to answer questions/provide recommendations regarding their products. Also, as the above poster mentioned, there are quite a few posters on this board that have quite a bit of hands-on knowledge.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

"No disrespect, but some of the answers I've received are from those who don't no, they just guess."- If you are referring to my response to your post about your oil pressure build up problem, you would need to provide a little more info, even for someone that "really knows what they are talking about", to receive a "qualified" answer your question. I, personally, don't work on Evo's or TC88's very much. I do spend about 2-5 hrs. every day in the service dept. of a shop that DOES work on Evo's and TC88's, and can generally get a "qualified" answer to just about any question, from a certified H-D mechanic with over 40 continuous yrs. of "qualified", hands-on, experience
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

joguitar
Trailblazer
hawgpen - No disrespect, but why do I have a feeling you'll let us know when there's a HD tech site where people know what they are talking about? Or, maybe you already have, hmm?

If you aren't stirring a little attention for a website I suggest you try to ask a more complete question and give it some effort. Dude, you posted one vague oil pressure question with no return follow-up data and now come back with this post?

I've worn out more m/c tires than most cycle stores keep in stock and I'm not a klutz with mechanical SEE THIS engineering either - gearhead_to_the_max is the REAL DEAL.

Your post is like the young salesman at Guitar Center unknowingly telling Eric Clapton he'll need supervision to handle the guitars!

Plus, there are many competent regulars with tons of experiece that I would put up against any commercial tech chat board. We just don't do much tech advice in our day-to-day posts because WE DON'T NEED IT ourselves but if someone comes along with a problem and the patience to provide some data they'll get an accurate answer sooner or later.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. I've known most of these good folks here for over a year. They are my friends and I don't like it when my friends get unfairly rubbed.

Please feel welcome to stick around and provide more info about your oil problem with the Evo motor. If I remember correctly, you said you built the motor? Play nice and you will find what you need to know.

goodluck
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

hawgpen
Enthusiast
I meant no disrespect in my question to anyone here. I have asked others concerning my oil pressure problem, but no one has giving me any correct answer.Yes,I did build the motor from a 94 with 10.5 to 1 pistons, a SE57 cam and 92 heads that were ported and polished and the 94 rocker boxes on top. The HD dealer here said that all would interchange, but now they are saying that the 94 doesn't have a crankcase breather like the 92 did. Can I fix/repair these 92 heads so they will work with this 94 motor and rocker boxes and gaskets or do I need to get another set of 94 heads and just have them ported and polished to the same flow chart? Again, I meant no disrespect to anyone and I thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

hawgpen, I checked into your problem in a great book I have called "101 Harley Davidson Performance Projects" by Kip Woodring. I have found it to be pretty straight forward and honest.
According to the author all Evo's since 1992 vent crankcase pressure through the heads. It doesn't talk about incompatibilty between your 94 engine with 92 heads, but does suggest several causes and fixes for what you are experiencing. Problems include poor ring sealing which allows excess pressure from the crancase into the heads & rocker boxes. This overpressure can cause oil buildup in your aircleaner through the breathers. If the situation is bad enough it is not hard to imagine popping your oil filler. First thing to do would be a leak down test for the rings.
Repairs include Total seal rings, Spyke crankcase vent, drilling the oil drain in your rocker box one drill size larger and even adding an extension to the oil drain hole to avoid as much oil carryover thus providing better venting.
Head to your local book store to pick this book up, so you can be knowledeable about the questions you ask and what the shop is telling you.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

Well, I don't know what all the hubbub is that's going on with this thread, but I'll say this: I'm pretty positive that it's 93-later motors that breathe through the heads. 1984-1992 motors breathe out of a fitting that comes out of the back of the crankcase. I'm not sure exactly what problem it is that you are having, as I didn't catch the first post, but if you are running 1992 heads on a 1994 motor and are having oil pressure problems.........
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

Oh, I see the previous post now. Yes, that's your problem with the breathing thing. And that hole in the oil bag ain't gonna cut it, eventually you will just start blowing head gaskets and sprocket shaft seals(checked the oil level in your primary lately?). I'm not sure, but you should be able to have your heads drilled and machined to aleviate this problem. Your dealer was probably confused, you can use 93&later heads on the earlier models and just run in inserts and bolts for the air cleaner mounts, but you can't use earlier model heads on the later model motors. You have to relieve that crankcase pressure somewhere. Not to mention the amount of horse power you are losing having no vent.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

That's kinda what I was getting at with my reply to the original post on this. The crankcase on Evo's (evidently 93 and later) breathes through the air cleaner mounting studs. If you don't have a crankcase vent (which you don't, with the '94 cases), and your heads aren't vented (which they aren't because '92s DID have a crankcase vent) pressure will build up, as justanotherlonghair said.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

I'm actually trying to help anyone out there that is looking for stretched saddlebags. DO NOT BUY CAM TECH! I had to spend over 9 hrs of labor to get them straight & prepared for paint. holes everywhere & seams that were horrible! I really don't like to bad mouth products but if this helps someone else from all the aggravation then stay away from them. No holes were right for the latches or anything for that matter! The support I had to buy for my razor pak did not have one hole that matched up. More holes in my tour pak. Horrible product!!!!!!
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

I don't know how to help you. What it is you are asking? I just working here.... Robot LOL

You know actually I work for Honda. Just got laid off from there and now if you have some Honda questions then maybe; well, the Harley tech site got move overseas and everything got lost. Have a good day, bye. Robot LOLRobot LOL

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Tech site. I need help

Costello: Now, when the guy at bat bunts the ball--me being a good catcher--I want to throw the guy out at first base, so I pick up the ball and throw it to who?

Abbott: Now, that's he first thing you've said right.

Costello: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Abbott: Don't get excited. Take it easy. Robot LOLRobot LOLRobot LOL

Message 13 of 13
latest reply