cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with all of harleys twin cam engines?

djs_dog
Scout
I just received the January issue of American iron magazine. Techline section written by Donny Peterson of Heavy Duty cycle states that he is finding problems with all twin cams engines. Problems that were thought to be only on early 99 and 2000 models. Quote:"We are finding damaged Ina inner cam bearings, worn timing chain adjusters, and cam lobe damage on ALL year twin cams" Huh?!?...AIN"T THIS FREAKIN GREAT!....I guess the more things change the more they stay the same with Harley Davidson. Buy a new bike and still have to dump money into it to keep it running. This SUCKS!...I'll be curious to see how harley responds to this.
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

barron-001
Enthusiast
Yeah that seems about right. I have been finding that the cam chain tensioners need to be replaced around 50,000 miles. Upgrading the cams and going to torrington bearings while your in there and a new set of lifters. It's not really a big deal. Partly because most people never get that many miles on their bikes before getting rid of them.
The cam chain tensioners is mostly a maintenance issue. The bearings well, Harley has this big theory that the ina bearings give better service. They don't, they had the same problem with evo's using the ina bearing. The torringtons are rated at a heavier load capacity than the ina bearings. It comes down to cost. Whenever they find something that is cheaper that gives acceptable performance they are going to use that product. It helps keep the cost of building bikes down. Think, bean counters.
Thats not the only thing. I have already replaced about 10 sets of flywheels with the rod bearings gone out at around 50,000 to 70,000 miles.
A lot of things are better than evo's. Some are exactly the same, as far as service items.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

"I have already replaced about 10 sets of flywheels with the rod bearings gone out at around 50,000 to 70,000 miles."- I'll just about guarantee you that it's due to the "misconception" that 20w-50 is the "recommended" oil viscosity for Evo's and TC's. If owners take the time to actually intrepret the oil recommendations in the factory manuals, they'll realize that straight 60wt is still the recommended oil for most applications. Campy had the service contract for our local Sheriff's Dept.'s Harleys (Evo's & TC 88's). Nothing but straight 70wt was used in those engines (oil was changed to 70wt before they were ever put in service). Never had a crankshaft/rod bearing related problem with any of them.
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

barron-001
Enthusiast
Gearhead,
Yeah thats what we run down here, depending on weather. Somehow most dealers have this preconceived notion that 20-50 is the cats meow. Guy comes in it's 100 degrees outside and his oil is like water and wondering why he has no oil pressure. Arguing that it's something else wrong with the bike, couldnt be the oil. The other dealer, told him only to use 20/50. Yeah, yeah, yeah, go back to your other dealer.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

barron-001
Enthusiast
Gearhead,
I rebuilt 50 D.C. police bikes, in 97, in a month because of this. Harley kept telling the police mechanics to only use 20/50. I get this call from the mechanic from the police, wants to bring these bikes in for rebuilds under warranty. Harley says rebuild them under warranty. Every single one, rods were bluer than blue. Harley rep asks what caused the failures, told him running light weight oil. Oh no, that couldnt be it.
Hahahha, Got them boys using the right stuff. guess what, no problem from then on.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Anyone out there have a factory manual for a Twin Cam that you can quote on this subject of oil in Harleys?
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

barron-001
Enthusiast
20/50 from 40 to 100 degrees.
50 from 60-80 degrees
60 from 80to over a 100 degrees.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I'll put it this way. Check the clearances on the "new" engines vs. the "old" engines. They haven't changed. Oil pump capacity (gear thickness, diameter, and pump speed) hasn't changed since 1973 (Shovelhead). Todays engines are jetted leaner (engine runs hotter) to comply with EPA. How can a lower viscosity oil provide even equal protection under those conditions? H-D has moved into the arena of "planned obsolesence". They only want your engine to last until the warranty runs out. Find anyone with a high-mileage Evo or TC, and ask them what viscosity oil they've run to get that high-mileabe. Henry Ford once made a statement to the effect of, if he could find an engineer to design a car that would completely fall apart 100 miles after the warranty ran out, he would make him president of the company.
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

harleylife4me
Thrill-Seeker
So what your saying is, I should be running 60 wt in my 2000 fxdx twin cam? This is the first time I've heard that.
Hey, can someone answer this question I have? When I ride my bike for awhile the gears will become hard to shift. An example is, when I'm at a long stop light I'll usually shift into neutral to give my hands a break. Well, when my bike is hot it's hard to get it into neutral and shifting becomes stiff. Whats up with that?
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

"Find anyone with a high-mileage Evo or TC, and ask them what viscosity oil they've run to get that high-mileabe"
127,000 miles on a 98 Road King with no rebuilds, I run Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic oil. HL4M, regarding your shifting anomoly, I believe there is a little cam that has an adjustment on the side of your tranny, I can't remember the name of it, but there is a procedure for adjusting and centering that little cam in your service manual. That sounds like what may be causing your problem, I've found those are regularly out of adjustment from the factory.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

barron-001
Enthusiast
hl4m,
adjust your clutch. do the adjustment with the bike cold. slack up the cable, take the derby cover off, loosen clutch adjuster locknut, run the adjuster screw in til it touchs, you will feel the resistance, then back it off 1/2 turn. tighten locknut and adjust your cable for about 3/16 play. oops, thats for bigtwins with late model fuji clutches. That should take care of the stoplight thing.
Adjusting the shift detente if you are having problems with over shift or under shift, like constantly missing 3rd or 4th gear.
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Over 25,000mi per yr.? That implies a LOT of highway miles, the easiest miles put on an engine. "No rebuilds"- any other "abnormal" maintenance repairs though (cam bearing, lifter problems, etc.)?
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

66panhead
Thrill-Seeker
But, But, But....Gearhead, isn't your motorcycle running 1930's technology?? Shared crankpin, OHV's, Carburator, Single Cam, points style ignition, etc...LOL!
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Points style ignition?? Hey, do you think I'm stuck in the stone-age?? I've been running electronic ignition for about 15 yrs now (my 1st one was homemade from Chrysler ignition parts, I'm a cheapskate). I did have to put a set of points back in once though, when the electronic ignition took a dump.
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Hey, do you think I'm stuck in the stone-age??

Well.....you do ride a Harley! LOl (sorry, couldn't resist!)
Message 15 of 29
latest reply