Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

How many Nam Vets are there here with us on this board

why.....??:|
Message 31 of 331
latest reply

LOL, the Christmas message painted on the bombs isn't very, well....Christian like....:^O
Message 32 of 331
latest reply

bazango
Guide
Ironically, or not... the A-10 filled the shoes of the A-1. Ok... filled several pairs... but the same mission. Fine, tough aircraft, both of them.
Message 33 of 331
latest reply

skyrider*4*ever
Thrill-Seeker
trident_t150 (737 ) View Listings | Report May-19-06 06:31 PDT 31 of 32
LOL, the Christmas message painted on the bombs isn't very, well....Christian like....

Post it at Neds!

When are ya going to join us ther?
Message 34 of 331
latest reply

who's ned.......??:|
Message 35 of 331
latest reply

bazango
Guide
A toothpick.
Message 36 of 331
latest reply

skyrider*4*ever
Thrill-Seeker
Hangs at .com

Now just put it all together!

Mountain, I thought you had been thre..

Invite in your Ebay mail!

(Plus, just for the heck of it, I'll send Trident ANOTHER one!)

He is shunning us!
Message 37 of 331
latest reply

skyrider*4*ever
Thrill-Seeker
Ebay, wouldn't allow my note to you, (caiuse we are not involved in an auction)

So I sent it to your regular email addy!
Message 38 of 331
latest reply

Well, I heard back from my brother--the picture he has is on a slide so he doesn't have a way of scanning it. I can remember when he gave a presentation at church when he got home, and that picture popped up on the screen! Hopefully the little old ladies couldn't read too fast!
He said they had worked on A6's, A7's and B52's at his base, and some were naval aircraft and some were Air Force.

He sent me this picture of A-7's which could carry about 15,000lbs of bombs on the racks.

Message 39 of 331
latest reply

bazango
Guide
The A-6 is the Intruder. The A-7 is the Corsair. Very different critters. The Corsair is somewhat older and much stubbier. Known as SLUFs. (Short Little Ugly Fellers). They had a wing that was adjustable, in effect adjusting the angle of the fuselage relative to the ground. I'm not sure what the design intent was, exactly, maybe for weapon-sighting? Anyhow, it was used to great effect for strafing. The plane could fly straight and level, with the nose pointed down, and rip the crap out of everything. During a protacted firefight in Grenada, troops were trying to dislodge enemy combatants from a big old building, I don't remember what exactly, but they had tried for something like a day, with no progress. One of these ugly fellers flew over in a strafing run, turned around and did it again, and what remained of the mauled enemy surrendered immediately. At least that's the story I read. Cool old plane.
Message 40 of 331
latest reply

Been reading on that Wikipedia site, where it says the A6 went operational in '63, and the A7 in '67. It's amazing to me that a plane can almost double its weight in armaments. 19,000 weight/15,000 bomb load!

Anyone else remember the movie The Fight of the Intruder?

A really good book I read also was "No More Bugles in the Sky," about the huge dogfight that took place 'on the wrong side of the lines,' as mentioned by Viper talking about Maverick's father, in the movie Top Gun.
Message 41 of 331
latest reply

cjdiver
Enthusiast
""During a protacted firefight in Grenada, troops were trying to dislodge enemy combatants from a big old building,""

That building was a school and the prison was just a few blocks to the east of it.
cvma-pa.net Veterans Helping Veterans
Message 42 of 331
latest reply

bazango
Guide
Cool, cj. Any more onfo?

Tri, I read the book and watched the movie. Excellent. Also read a book... don't remember the name, about the last A-6 action in Gulf War I. I'm going to find and buy the movie you mentioned. Thanks.

Like you said, tri, isn't it amazing that that plane (and many others) carry their own weight in armaments? I was thinking about that relative to my old pickup. A 5600 lb dodge 3/4 ton. It would maybe carry that much (I did more than once), but bouncing off the rubber bumpers. Not exactly "operational." Amazing what our services do routinely, no?
Message 43 of 331
latest reply

66panhead
Thrill-Seeker
My gratitude and respects to all that have served in the past and those currently in the military.

I just hit my 20 year mark last weekend....have about 1 more year left in Uncle Sams Flying Circus....
Message 44 of 331
latest reply

b-bop
Thrill-Seeker
US Army In-country Oct 1970 thru Feb 1972. The first 2 1/2 months. I was with the 212th, 25th Infantry at Cu Chi. I was then transfered to the 720th MP Bn. at Long Bien where I spent the rest of my tour running security for convoys.

Loved it was "In the Wind" even if it was in V-100's and gun jeeps. Got to see alot of Viet Nam, running convoys as far north as Da Nang, as far south as Bien Thuey. Into the Central Highlands to the Cambodian border at Katoum.

And yes Red I did spend a few days in Sydney on R&R. Went home with an Aussie MP by the name of Ian Barker. Ian was killed 2 months later in an accident when the 2 and 1/2 ton truck he was driving over turned into a rice paddy. He was returning to base after taking kitchen workers home.

Message 45 of 331
latest reply