cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Anybody remember Them I bought quite a few Bikes from him
He was a Friend & I even worked for him for a couple of Years.
Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/Feb/100215redmenace.htm

In the early 1990's, the pre-TPG ownership days, being a Ducati owner wasn't easy. It was something you earned. New bikes trickled into the US and sold immediately. Purchasing a Ducati often involved deciphering the unique eccentricities of a given dealer, and enduring endless broken promises about when your bike would be delivered. Among the more "allegedly notorious" was Ghost Motorcycles, who had been selling Ducatis from a ramshackle garage in Port Washington for decades. Ghost had really rare Ducatis, bevel-drive Hailwoods, 750 F1A's and B's, 851 SP's just stuffed into this tiny shop, bar to bar. The place reeked of spilled oil and gas. The staff wore a standard- issue uniform of soiled mechanic overalls, with an unfiltered cigarette in one hand and a paper cup full of cheap coffee in the other. I wanted a 907 I.E. badly, so I went to Ghost with $1000 in cash in my wallet, hoping they'd have one in stock.

Young men have many naive beliefs about the world that are harshly shed via life experience, but for me, this maxim is as true now as it was then: Ducatis should be red (preferably with white trellis frames). Unfortunately, Ghost only had a black 907 I.E., and had no idea when they'd be getting a red Paso in stock. "We do have a new 93 900SS in the crate that's a little cheaper, and that one is red," the salesman said. I asked for a test ride. "No way, kid." he stated flatly. So I opened my wallet and showed him ten crisp $100 bills. He exhaled a big puff of Camel smoke into my face, mumbled "lemme check the back," and moments later, wheeled out a plated 1992 900SS. The bike had reverse megaphones, when he fired it up, a puff of smoke and flames shot out of the pipes, the devil's breath. I had never heard a Ducati up close, and in the confines of the small garage, it was the nearest thing I had ever had to a religious experience. As I put my helmet on, he shot me a stern look and said, "Don't crash it." That day, I bought the red 93 900SS. Sometime later, I found out that they had let me test ride a customer's bike, which was in for service; surely the owner never knew about it. Classic Ghost story.

As for my personal experience (mid '80's to mid 90's), I loved dropping into the shop at least once or twice a year. It was better than almost any museum...

I never bought anything there, I heard at least half a dozen nightmare stories about the place from personal friends, and many more from friends of friends.

Anybody else remember their booth at the NY Int, Motorcycle Show at the Javits Center? I don't know why they even bothered...

Maybe they treated their friends great there (as some have testified to in this thread), but if you were an anonymous Joe off the street, you were treated like yesterday's newspaper. That last part I know for sure...
Message 46 of 122
latest reply

I live in Port Washington and I still see the Family around. If I remember correctly his family may own competition glass. They were closed down in the 90's (for tax evation)...they still own the building and every once in a while you'll see a motorcycle rolled out from behind the paper covered glass. They are definatly a part of Port Washington's history and its ashame that the building has never been used for anything. I have one of thier original shirts that I think I'm going to list on ebay......

I worked with his son Vincent in the early '90's at an auto glass company in Roslyn. The IRS was constantly shackling the front doors for tax evasion. The son would always brag his dad was too smart for the IRS actions to stick. I met him a few times. He seemed like a mental patient to me. Then there was the famous Javitz's Convention center debacle in NYC for the International Motorcycle Show, a premier event. They showed up with a lot of junk, rusted & crashed motorcycles, & were asking 20x what they were worth. The rental space was not supposed to be used for that. Every other vendor brought new products. He sold a new Ducati to a buddy of ours. They prepped the tires with Armor-all, trying to kill someone?, & the bike was crashed shortly after leaving the shop. When the owner brought the bike back ready to kill someone, all they offered to do was take the bike back & sell the parts for their profit. Then they told the angry owner to call his insurance company & declare it stolen. Ghost would make a profit on the new bike, then a profit on parting out a stolen bike. They did this all the time according to the son. He said the shop was full of stolen spares, but without serial numbers nobody could prove anything. They cut up the frames & disposed of them. They were crooks, plain & simple.
Message 47 of 122
latest reply

consegnato
Enthusiast
I used to live a block away from them from 92'-96', traded them my 79 Bonneville for a 66 cape dory sloop, i thought the trumpet was a money pit until i got that stupid boat :_|

They had a MINT Orange Laverda SF in the window and were asking $2500 for it, seemed like a lot back then but kicking myself still now.

As krka said, cool place to scavenge around in or just hang out and listen to Dave in parts talk about his 500 Pantah.

AlexM
Lonely old bag in 3, 2, 1......
Message 48 of 122
latest reply

Good morning to all:

There was a link on one of the ducati sites to a really pristine 70's 860 GT - and that got me reminiscing about my dealings with Ghost M/C's way way back in the day.

Here's my story...

I can share a funny story about that particular year of the 860 GT bike...'way back in the day, my then-girlfriend's older brother, who lived in Boston, wanted one of those really badly, and "Ghost Motorcycles" of Port Washington, N.Y. was advertising something tantamount to a 'truckload sale' of them, crated, and not final assembled - just as they hit the docks... He paid for one sight unseen, and then, before he could get it, and much to his chagrin, 'Ghost' went Ch. 7 quite shortly thereafter.

It fell to me to resolve this. I called the main man there, whose name escapes me at this point, (Bingo! It was the infamous "Sal"...so much for senior moments...) and told him I would be by the next day to pick up the crated bike, and didn't want a whole lot of guff for my trouble. Much to my amusement, he said to come on by and pick it up, so I did.

The next day, the usual coterie of truly sketchy looking characters were lounging around there; I posted with a station wagon car, and much to my amazement, they loaded the bike up (same color as in the imagery...), crated, and I was on my way in considerably less than ten minutes. I was very surprised to get out of there w/o a hassle of some sort, and even more surprised that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that neat bike!

Seeing the images still gives me a flutter 30-some years later...really nicely looking ride! She gave that boy a nice several years of riding, too...girlfriend did not stick - but the bike did!

Richard Collins

'96 SS/SP

So...that's one of my many Ghost M/C and DeFeo stories...

Richard Collins
Message 49 of 122
latest reply

Hi ,I live in north wales UK could you send me a photo of the dealer badge from ghost then I could get some made there must be lots of guys who would like to get one.Thanks Val.
Message 50 of 122
latest reply

ginny0403
Enthusiast
HI
IF YOU rode a bike on long island you knew about GOST MC-- in PORT WASHINGTON- north shore SAL was the man--they had some of the best machines around-- english and italian----did a lot of north shore riding on my blue printed 1966 bonnie-- straighting out corners all day long----it was a trip riding down MAIN ST -----SAl owned a lot of store fronts on that street that were jammed full of bikes --one on top of the other --- those were the days when the bad asses only road motorcycles--that has changed a lot GRIFFIN was a BIG black guy---we use to stop in to say hell as he was a good friend of one of my friends that was a NORTON finatick---and i have to say he was real easy to like--i remember SALS VINCENT BLACK SHADOW-up on a shelf on the right when you came in--he was ridden a 52 BMW --with a side car --it was the oldest BMW i ever knew of--my dad had a 58 that i think was the second oldest on the island at that time-stopping in when you were out for a ride was the thing to do if you were in town- bought an all aluminum 2 1/2 gallon triump racing team gas tank for my triumph there---he had the exotic parts for the english and italian machines---that me and my friends were into at that time--this is truly a blast from the past---ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY LENTINI
Message 51 of 122
latest reply

deryngene
Enthusiast
What memories,.....bought my first bike from Sal ..850 Norton Commando ,,, $995. i think .. wish I still had that Norton,,, actually wish i bought 100 Nortons .. I'd be a rich man ...Sal used to advertise that he was the biggest dealer on the east coast , and I guess he was until the invasion of japanese bikes...back when we were young................
Message 52 of 122
latest reply

marcomini1
Enthusiast
MOSTLY NOT TRUE. WHEN THEY WERE AT JAVITTS, THEY HAD THE ONLY INTERESTING BOOTH. THEY HAD A TON OF VINTAGE STUFF, INCLUDING A OLD POPE (IT THATS WHAT YOU CONSIDER JUNK). WHO WANTS TO LOOK AT A BUNCH OF NEW JAP OFFERINGS? SAL RULLES AS DOES SONNY, GRIF, BOBBY AND AUGIE
Message 53 of 122
latest reply

airkobill2010
Enthusiast
I sure to remember Sal. Back in the 50's he drove a truck in the daytime, and a night he had a small shack for a shop; had to keep some of the machines in crates in the yard. Zundapp was the primary machine he handled then.
I remember he showed up at the Stockcar track in Freeport, riding a 600 cc model, horizontal opposed, chain d riven; with a Steib sidecar. He whipped it all over the place to everyones delight. Sal could be a showman.
Alot of beer and pizza was consumed by me and him. He would close the shop and we goe tavern to tavern showing off whatever he wanted to sell at that time. We rode a lot in the winter when business was slow. I remember him on a 10cc Italian Parilla, and me on my {bought from him} 54 triumph T110.
I could go on for hours, but..............

Bill martin
Message 54 of 122
latest reply

nataluke
Enthusiast
Ghost and the Defeo family were the best. I worked for them and rode for them. Yes, Sal had problems with the IRS. Anybody like the IRS? Sal was very generous. He sponsored a female rider Kerry when no one would touch her with a 10 foot pole. The happiest I ever saw him was the day I won at Westhampton and I was wearing a Ghost shirt. Sonny was a different class. I first rode with him when he and Barry were riding in the Port Washington Sand Pits. Sonny was 15 and I was 17. I was in awe of Barry. Sal was there making sure everyone was taken care of and the bikes were running right. Sal put a huge amount of money into Motocross. Everyone forgets that he dominated New York racing when he raced. I saw him blow away Jimmy Ellis. I saw him blow away John Bettencourt. Both were great riders. I watched Sonny at 17 come back from CZ training (with Lackey) in Europe and ride around the Inter-AM track in Florida essentially on one wheel. Everyone was there Lackey, Wienhert, Higgins etc... Sonny was killing everyone. Unfortunatly, they would not let him race because he was 17 and did not have a Pro License for Fla. He spent the rest of the day doing one handed wheelies flashing the peace sign on a rode next to the track. Sonny, Barry and I spent the next day riding on Daytona Beach on MiniBikes looking at girls. Needless to say we spent alot of time with the MiniBikes on the rear wheel. For me at that point he was better than Barry. He should have done a bit better over the long term, but he did win the Atlanta 500 as a privateer. Anyway to say anything bad about them is wrong. Was Sal perfect, no. But he was a good man. They came no better than Sonny. He was always a great friend weather is was No. 1 or not.
Dennis Lukens
Message 55 of 122
latest reply

I bought parts from Sportsman's Cycle Sales in Holden in the 70s and also from the sister store in Leominster. It was co-owned by a Walter Hancock from Princeton.
Message 56 of 122
latest reply

I traded a MEC Super 250 shot-shell reloader and a J. C. Higgins 12 ga. pump to Walt for a CL72. Joe Bolger ran the service department, and was a fantastic fabricator and craftsman. The parts counterman Ed Clarke and I later worked together at San Jose Honda out here on the Left Coast. My Hondas were bought from Jerry at the Leominster store. During the late 60s, my buddy Ron and I hung out at all the bike shops in Central New England. I worked between classes at Quinsigamond Comm. College in Worcester at Randy Wilson's, down the road in West Boylston.
Message 57 of 122
latest reply

vince.lopic
Enthusiast
I know your post is a couple of years old but I figured I'd give it a shot. By any chance is there a contact number or address in which I could touch base with Ghost?
Message 58 of 122
latest reply

ombusinq2011
Enthusiast
Isnt that Old KASPER??
Message 59 of 122
latest reply

robertw9407
Enthusiast
Hi,

Did you follow Ghost racing in the early 60's? I have a Ducati 175 F3 that was raced by Ghost and would like to find out who the rider(s) was. I bought and restored it in 1978. Still have it.

Thanks,

Bob W.
westercampbob@yahoo.com
Message 60 of 122
latest reply