cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Anybody remember Them I bought quite a few Bikes from him
He was a Friend & I even worked for him for a couple of Years.
Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

george5090_0
Enthusiast

YES > I bought some BMWs from him in the 1980s ...I'm in Toronto ...GHOST reminded me of LOCAL dealers , especially SUN-GLO  , who had some of the most diversified & collectible BIKES in CANADA ...It was a pleasure doing business with GHOST & SUN-GLO ...Wish they were still around  ! 

Message 91 of 122
latest reply

frannykk
Enthusiast

Like post 26 my experience was with Sonny at the british bike meet in Auburn Ma in the nineties.  Had a 1975 Norton for sale or it appeared but all he would say is how much it would cost to fix up a beater.  None of the other vendors acted that way.

Was at Freddy Marsh's shop perhaps when he was 90 years old and could tell he was on the Phone with Sonny wanting money for parts sent.  Moto Guzzi parts bill I expect Freddy Or perhaps what ever relative was there thought the negotiating was before the parts went out.  I totally believe that guy in post 26.

Nice to see lots of warm feelings for a simpler time.  Now most are essentially motorcycle super stores and I see guys claiming to be service managers in the pits at races walking around without their shoes tied.

franj

Message 92 of 122
latest reply

In the earlydays I had a Honda shop in Pittsburgh Pa. (Pittsburgh Honda Inc.) and we bought from Goast now and then when we could not get enough new units from Honda. In one trip we bought 4 CL77 and 2 CB77 and a Perilley 250 road racer (spell).  We raced the Pill-Pill at Daytona in the AMA 100 mile Pro event and finished 10th. 

We always disliked Goast because they advertized at much lower prices and customers would want the same in Pittsburgh when we were selling at 20% more and getting it. 

They were always "sharp" dealers and you had to be sure you counted your money and get the paperwork, but that is just business. 

I will say that they helped make the motorcycle boom happen and for that I am glad.

Carl

Message 93 of 122
latest reply

dodger916
Enthusiast

Sure do!  Born in 1957, I made many trips there during the summer of 1966(?) when an older brother rebuilt his BSA 441 Shooting Star.  We practically wore a groove between our home in Plainview and their shop!  As a young boy, it was my first glimpse into the world of gear-heads.  Thanks for bringing back some sweet, sweet memories of a very special time...

Message 94 of 122
latest reply

Yep, Bought a Triumph SIlver Jubilee there in 1980 from Griffin. Still have it.

Message 95 of 122
latest reply

marcomini1
Enthusiast

I remember seeing that very bike in the showroom!!!

Message 96 of 122
latest reply

I bought 3 or 4 motorcycles from Sal and Sonny - the last one I bought was a used Guzzi which conicidentally is what brings me to this page.  I bought the bike in '94 and never titled it.  I am now going to restore it and cannot locate the old title or the bill of sale.  As I recall, Sonny told me the bike belonged to a friend of his and he was selling it for him.

If by chance anyone reading this board owned a '78 Guzzi LeMans that Ghost consigned for you, I would be very grateful if you would contact me about the possibility of getting a duplicate title.  I live in Philadelphia now so dealing with the NY DMV is extremely problematic.

Crossing fingers.

Message 97 of 122
latest reply

When I moved to Arizona I lost my Title to my 50 Mercury

so I had to Post a Bond & got a temp. Title 

till they searched it and Gave me a Reg Title

so I would think that PA would do the Same!

just my 3 cents

Photobucket
Message 98 of 122
latest reply

anybody have his phone # I had it & lost it

TIA

you can send me a email or Post it

Photobucket
Message 99 of 122
latest reply

Sal is still going strong, selling Ghost paraphernalia on Main Street in Port, mostly during the good weather summer days, and there are a few bikes out on the street too and maybe you can get a deal.

Message 100 of 122
latest reply

If I'm not mistaken, Steve Schweber - son of Seymore Schweber  (Schweber Electronics in Long Island) was an investor

@ Ghost. I knew Steve and Seymore because I worked for Fairchild Semiconductor in Mt. View, CA - they were one our distributors of semiconductors in NY.

I still have a Ghost T shirt if anyone is interested

Message 101 of 122
latest reply

Did thery build custom choppers?

Message 102 of 122
latest reply

rember it well. it had a distinct odor when you entered the building.  smelled like rubber , gear oil etc.    a row of bikes against each wall and a walkway in the middle that led to the parts dept.   the parts guys name i think was bob, he was a crusty old salt with tatoos that had no use for anyone  with long hair. a real right winger that hated hippys. he would vocally abuse them and throw them out of the store. there was storage just above  the bikes, that was the second floor. it was only about 5 feet above the bikes. low ceilijg. there was another storage area down the celler. which had a outdoor  entrance in the front of the building.  only place around to buy parts for my 1970 triumph bonneville.

Message 103 of 122
latest reply

anyone remember the name of the bar down the street from Ghost on main st in the 60's-70's. it had a one word name  The ......... ???????

Message 104 of 122
latest reply

My name's Jean.

I remember Ghost I used to go to Ghost Mtorcycles with my husband, for years. Marty had a hot BSA. then he bought himself and me BMWs. Mine was a 250ccc. His was a 500. Ghost had a son, Wolfie, who was quite a good dirt rider. Is Ghost Motorcyles still there? I'm living in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. marty is gone.

Best --

Jean

Message 105 of 122
latest reply