eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How long does a buyer have to pay for an item?

I know the I can issue a UPI after four days if a buyer does not pay.  It has been 7 days and the buyer has not paid. I have not contacted them yet because I'm not sure what to do.  I have a second chance offer.  Should I ask the buyer if they still want the item and go for the second chance offer?  But I still believe a UPI should be done.  Should I contact the buyer before the UPI and do the Second Chance Offer last if I have to do a UPI?  Any thoughts? I also know that after the UPI is filed that the buyer has 4 days to pay.  Just wondering where the second chance offer would fit in.

Accepted Solutions: 4
angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teri8812

You can't do anything about the SCO until you file the UPI and wait the 4 days.  Since that is the time frame that the buyer still has to pay, if you offered the second chance and they took it and then your first buyer paid before the 4 days was up, you would have two buyer's for only one item.  You always have to finish one transaction the proper way before you can do another.

RESPONDER's - be polite and not berating or condescending or sarcastic
don't correct the OP's spelling, etc. - that's not what we're here for
don't type in large fonts - just as bad as OP typing in caps
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teri8812

You have to somehow close out the first transaction before offering a SCO otherwise your first buyer could come back in a week or two and pay for the item expecting you to ship it when you no longer have it in your possession.  There are two ways to close out the item.

1.  You can file the UPI now and close it in 4 days.  You will receive your FVFs back and you can relist the item or offer it as a SCO.

2.  You can ask the buyer to approve a Cancellation agreement.  Make sure you get the buyer's approval prior to sending the cancellation agreement.

My advice is to set up your Unpaid Item Assistant to automatically file your UPIs after however many days you choose (I have mine set for four).

You can, but you do not need to, contact the buyer prior to filing the dispute.  eBay has contacted them at least twice already.  They know they need to pay.  You could send them an invoice if you would like prior to filing the UPI.  Don't wait too long though.  Remember that they still have 4 days to pay once you file the dispute.  I've had to file 2 UPIs and both paid prior to the cases closing (and I received positive feedback from both buyers).

disneyshopper
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teri8812

File the UPI.  If the buyer pays within 4 days after you file, you ship.

If the buyer does not pay, a strike on the buyer's account will be issued.

You can now file a Second Chance Offer.  However, if you have an identical item, you can file the SCO any time.

If you only have the one item, you need the original transaction completed.  Either buy pays, or you close a UPI.  You do not want to issue a SCO and then have the original buyer pay.  Now you have two people paying, and only one item.  Not good.

fossil_diver
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teri8812

There too many deadbeat buyers on ebay now. I set my UPI to open automatically after 96 hours. You should try to contact them and if you get no response in 24 hours or a poor excuse from if they do respond then open the UPI.

Whatever you do don't sell or relist the item until your non pay case is closed.

Other Answers: 1
gardensculptures
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teri8812

Most sellers are now filing the UPI at exactly 4 days, because there are soooo many buyers not paying. This means the item is tied up for 8 days, and most times when I send a 2nd chance offer, the 2nd bidder no longer wants it and I have to relist- sooo, this takes about 3 weeks total. Don't waste time- file right away, it will close automatically when they pay and if not, then they get a strike. 8 days is plenty for anyone, a transaction should NEVER go past that.