eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Kitschy Pair of Paintings, Black Spanish Galleons on orange background 60s?

Well, I've had these stored for 30 years, loved them, and it's time to let go. (Hubby says I should have let go 30 years ago.. LOL).

I got them from a great aunt who had her living room decorated in oranges and black and red, back in the 60s. They were probably picked up from a local street artist or mall craft show in Toronto back then. They are simply signed DINO.

I do not know if they are acrylic, but I think they might be. How does one tell? ...they are very shiny, LOL. They are painted on masonite board and are still in great condition. The frames are about 15" x 28"

So....I'm here to ask any experts if they might be worth listing, and if you have any info that might be helpful regarding a description. Someone from one of the other boards sent me here. Would they be considered MCM, or just tacky old paintings?

Thanks in advance!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Kitschy Pair of Paintings, Black Spanish Galleons on orange background 60s?

in reply to bigredswing
Putting this back up one more time, in case anyone who can give advice missed it in Feb.

After hours of searching the net, eBay..G**gle etc. I have not come across anything the same.

I thought that I'd see dozens if they were sold cheaply, during the 'orange, red and black' decorating era...??

Perhaps I'm way off base as to how my Great Aunt got them. Maybe she had a secret lover who painted a couple of originals for her! LOL :-p
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
I am fairly certain that I have seen these back in the 60's (in California). They appear 100% to be "tacky old paintings", but that doesn't mean that someone won't love them. They do appear to be in very good condition.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Looks like "acrylic drip" painting. Paint is squeezed directly from the tube onto the colorful background. 60's and 70's.
Click for Chandler, Arizona Forecast
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Thank you both for the information.

So...60's would be o.k. in the description.

Acrylic drip...sounds interesting, and the ship outlines could well be that. Had not heard of that, so it might be a good way to describe them.

I was thinking that with all the Black Pearl movies, they might appeal to someone, if they are doing a funky, Pirate-cave rec room or something... LOL ]:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Hey, that's a great angle to play up with these :smileyhappy: There are quite a number of younger folk into the pirate theme these days, lol.
Please use plain text.
lucille.b
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Can I ask you how you got your photos to just appear in the text without creating a link? Sorry if this has been asked --new to the forum. J

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Can I ask you how you got your photos to just appear in the text without creating a link? Sorry if this has been asked --new to the forum. J

Hi, and welcome to the boards! If you go to the Pottery, Glass & Porcelain board they have a thread at the very top that explains how to post photos. Good luck!

Debbie
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
These are totally worth selling! I recently saw a ship painting like these in a B & B in Seattle that was redecorated in 70s kitsch. There's was green/teal tones. Love it!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
probably would bring 50-100 on ebay.
tag sale value...20
Please use plain text.
lucille.b
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Forgot to send a thank you for this advice. It worked like a champ and now I'm an expert! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. J.S.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing
Did you ever find out more about these? I have three simliar pictures done in the same artwork format. My parents bought them early 70s from a local drugstore but now I am interested in seeing if others are interested. I have a larger piece showing three ships sailing and then two other seperate pieces similiar to yours.

If I find out more info myself I am more than willing to share.

Thanks

Scott Denson
playwfire@msn.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing

Do you recall the name of the B&B in Seattle?  I'd love to see the ship with the green/teal background.  I have a similar painting on a masonite board with gesso to give it dimension and it was done in the 60s as well.

"My" ship is a golden/green/black and the background is shades of blue and green.  Can't quite read the name of the artist...FERccs?  FERcus?  FERoos?  Can't tell...

Please use plain text.
scoutshouse
Community Member

in reply to bigredswing

My first job right out of high school was as a detailer on these in the late 60's early 70's.

The backgrounds were silkscreened, then a design in black was added and embellished. We drew with condiment bottles of white glue with pigment and brushed the dry piece with gold.

Men did the silkscreening and women applied the detail, just like Disney animation production.

Ours were signed "Rudy Sabor" AKA Nathaniel Snerpus. Can't remember his real name. He was a swinger who kept a live fox pup in his office (?!).

They came with orange, green or blue backgrounds and provided the perfect accent to your chunky velour sofa.

His six-foot masterpiece of a Dali featured extreme perspective of a tiny guy standing in an open door at the apex of a floating checkerboard floor. In ruins off to the side, a single key hung suspended by string from a extistential-looking tree. Titled "Tree of Life", of course.

Photobucket
Yo, eBay!
I'd take it on the chin...
If I had one.
Please use plain text.